Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolson View Post
Suppose I give my W2 to them, should I start looking for another opportunity?
Did they ask for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I've never encountered a situation where the prospective employer found out about my previous salaries.....the only thing prospective employers have ever been able to verify was my criminal background and references from former supervisors/coworkers. I believe most prospective employers are just gonna check your references and criminal background. I wouldn't sign off for them to verify that(salary history) anyway. If they require that, then it would be best for both parties to move on.
If you are going to lie about it, then absolutely not.

So you would cross that part out and sign off on everything else? Wouldn't that look strange?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:51 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,497,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you are going to lie about it, then absolutely not.

So you would cross that part out and sign off on everything else? Wouldn't that look strange?
I wouldn't continue and just let them know that i've changed my mind and will not pursue the job.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 PM

6,600 posts, read 8,946,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolson View Post
Suppose I give my W2 to them, should I start looking for another opportunity?
I don't think I saw anyone mention this as a possibility, sorry if I simply missed the post though. If they question the verbal salary you gave them, tell them that is what your "total compensation" was. You can place your own dollar amount on things that have value to you at your old employer. Things like vacation time, working from home, flexible working hours, 4 day work week, on-site daycare, on-site gym, free parking, free beverages, flex time, insurance, retirement, tuition assistance etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,376,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They make the rules. I just play by them. If you try to bully information that is none of your business from me don't be surprised if I just lie to you.
I assure you, no one who has spent any time with you on the internet or in person is surprised by the fact that you lie.

The real shame is you think it is ok. You spend enough time around someone, they tell you exactly who they are. You are a liar. I would think you would want to present a different image to the world, but you have to live with yourself. It would, however, be nice if you didn't tell others that it is ok to lie.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,384,011 times
It is no surprise to me that you feel it is ok for HR people to bully people into revealing salary history so you can lowball them on the offer. Moderator cut: snip

When you are seeking a job with a company that lies, bullies, and jerks around people Moderator cut: snip you need to fit in with them. Therefore you should feel free to do the same back to them. We've seen every form of disgusting behavior imaginable from companies Moderator cut: snip ranging from plain rude, to morally reprehensible, to arrest worthy. Some of the more noteworthy ones include

Not contacting people after an in person or even multiple in person interviews
Interviewing people with no intention of hiring them to fullfull EEOC or other requirements
Lying to congress that there are no qualified Americans for their job while demanding more H1-B's
Demanding exit interviews to find out what they did wrong when they refuse to help candidates in the same fashion
Refusing to hire the unemployed
Engaging in a racketeering agreements with banks to issue cards that allow them to siphon pay from min wage earners
Bullying candidates into revealing salary histories to low-ball them
Bullying candidates into authorizing companies access to their credit reports
Bullying candidates into taking ridiculously stupid and scientifically preposterous psychometric tests and other HR gimics
Discriminating against candidates based on age, race and every other illegal category knowing it can't be proved
Using Temp agencies to deny benefits and lying to candidates about their intention to hire them to bait them into working harder
Using noncompetes to bully employees into staying and taking advantage of them

I'm sure I missed a few hundred. Bottom line one can't take a moral high ground when you are morally 6 feet under.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Removed unnecessary verbiage

Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,752,166 times
Quote:
Even the most aggressive pro-employer state could not uphold such a contract. That should be challenged in court. Frankly your employer should be arrested. You could also find employment in a different state with more lenient courts. They would for sure laugh that contract out of court and award you damages, legal fees etc.
Like I said, it's a law, not a contract. All they have to do is demonstrate a compelling public interesting (preventing corruption and limiting public sector salaries).

Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,755,909 times
Quote:
It is no surprise to me that you feel it is ok for HR people to bully people into revealing salary history so you can lowball them on the offer. Moderator cut: snip

When you are seeking a job with a company that lies, bullies, and jerks around people Moderator cut: snip you need to fit in with them. Therefore you should feel free to do the same back to them. We've seen every form of disgusting behavior imaginable from companies Moderator cut: snip ranging from plain rude, to morally reprehensible, to arrest worthy. Some of the more noteworthy ones include

Not contacting people after an in person or even multiple in person interviews
Interviewing people with no intention of hiring them to fullfull EEOC or other requirements
Lying to congress that there are no qualified Americans for their job while demanding more H1-B's
Demanding exit interviews to find out what they did wrong when they refuse to help candidates in the same fashion
Refusing to hire the unemployed
Engaging in a racketeering agreements with banks to issue cards that allow them to siphon pay from min wage earners
Bullying candidates into revealing salary histories to low-ball them
Bullying candidates into authorizing companies access to their credit reports
Bullying candidates into taking ridiculously stupid and scientifically preposterous psychometric tests and other HR gimics
Discriminating against candidates based on age, race and every other illegal category knowing it can't be proved
Using Temp agencies to deny benefits and lying to candidates about their intention to hire them to bait them into working harder
Using noncompetes to bully employees into staying and taking advantage of them

I'm sure I missed a few hundred. Bottom line one can't take a moral high ground when you are morally 6 feet under.
Agreed 100%.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-17-2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: quoted post edited

Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 141,094 times
Update: I have worked for the company for around 2 weeks now. The background check came back with minor discrepancy. It was a huge risk for me to take but I feel like it was worth it. However, if I had to go through the same thing again, I would do it differently. This is what I would do:

Do not tell them your previous salary and they will most likely ask you for a range. If they ask you for a range, give them a VERY wide range ( 40-70k, 80-120k, etc). Usually, they will stop nagging you for a number until they are getting closer to giving you an offer. If they insist on a number, tell them what you are expecting and nothing more. If they ask you about it you can just say

"Sorry, I don't give out my salary information to anyone. Is there any other number that I can give you?"

If you know that they are going to make you an offer, you can tell them that there is another company who has made you an offer. They will most likely want to know what the company name is but you shouldn't tell them that. Instead, you can tell them what other offers you are getting.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,004,409 times
Congrats on landing the job. You dodged a bullet, but all is well in the end. Thanks for closing the loop and letting us know the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search