Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times

Advertisements

I typically refrain from embracing these types of lists, but I found this one to be somewhat interesting.

Ten Job Search Rules to Break | LinkedIn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I typically refrain from embracing these types of lists, but I found this one to be somewhat interesting.

Ten Job Search Rules to Break | LinkedIn
A good article highlighting good points and the readers' varied comments are also on point. Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-13-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 72,424 times
Any tips on how to contact employers even if there are no open positions advertised? Do I contact HR/hiring manager and what should I say? I am almost certain my messages will go ignored if I'm not addressing a specific open position.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
Any tips on how to contact employers even if there are no open positions advertised? Do I contact HR/hiring manager and what should I say? I am almost certain my messages will go ignored if I'm not addressing a specific open position.

You don't contact a HR manager unless you know the same people. Once they get your email or call the question will be ......."who referred you to me or how did you get my contact info?

So try not and send emails or call hiring managers if you don't know anyone who knows them

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
Exactly what West Philly said. Unless you have an in, I wouldn't. You do it if you have a mutual friend, or something like that.

I think some of the rules are interesting and should work, other is not as easy to do. If you are unemployed, it is not as easy as just being able to network. It's not that easy to do especially if you not getting unemploymet.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly what West Philly said. Unless you have an in, I wouldn't. You do it if you have a mutual friend, or something like that.
I disagree. There is absolutely nothing to be lost and a chance to gain by calling a company and asking if it would be possible to talk to the hiring manager. If you're put through, keep it short and simple. Introduce yourself, briefly say what you do and ask if - although you haven't seen them advertising any positions - seeing your resumé would be of interest to them. You can likewise give that information to a secretary to be passed on. The worst that can happen is that you give up a couple of minutes of your time and the person you speaks to says no.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
um, what is up with all the trademarked thingies in that list? it reads like a big jargony ad for something i'm not clicking on.

like, what is a "pain letter (tm)"? i bet it's a cover letter with a trademark on it. i'm certainly not going to read some other thing by the author (that seems to be selling some "get a job" system) in order to learn what they think i should do.

if this person has some revolutionary system for applying to jobs, they should either advertise and sell it openly or share what it is in the first place, not lay a breadcrumb trail to a paid system in an ad disguised as an article.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I agree. It sounds like a sales pitch from a "life coach."

Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I disagree with #2. Most companies, if you're an internal referral, that generally gets your resume to the top of the pile for consideration. At a large company or for a position with a dizzying number of applications for an open position, it can mean the difference in whether or not a pair of human eyes actually reviews your resume vs. being auto-screened.

I wasn't familiar with the term 'Pain Letter', so I googled it. Pain Letter. Seems too gimmicky to me, but I'm curious, has anyone ever tried that tactic?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 AM

We're not exactly talking about a Bible here (that's not the best analogy but you probably get my point). It's one person's opinion based on their own research. As with everything else, you sift through it and maybe learn something you didn't think of. Just another tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search