Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

I applied for a web design internship and was called for a "possible" interview, but only after I pass the aptitude test. I asked the employer via email what this test consists of so I can prepare for it, and he said that it was a general test and there was nothing to study for.

I said okay. So I went to the office with nothing to study for. All I've googled from aptitude tests were just puzzles you find in generic IQ tests.

The lady(at the front desk who was not the employer) gave me a packet, and asked me to work in another room. The packet consists of 5 pages of problems that you normally get in a college algebra course(some of it was logic and puzzles). She gave me, 12 minutes to finish these tests. So I did the best I could. Some of those questions took a bit of time to answer correctly. I only managed to reach about 2 pages. And when the test was done, the lady checked and told me that I didn't answer enough questions, therefore not qualify for an interview. At that moment, I wanted to cry. I wanted to send the employer and email and say "What the **** was that for?!"

I left the building, in tears, in absolute anger that my 2 hours of my time was wasted(I take a bus to the building.) I wanted to cuss out the employer and say "Why". Why the living hell of all things would you bring math questions in a job that consists of designing things?! What does that have to do with my skills in HTML, CSS, Photoshop, all the adobe products, concepts of design, which I study very hard for?! I didn't even get a chance to show off my skills.

If there was a test that consists of HTML and Adobe Creative Suite, I would have grabbed all of my design textbooks and spend all night studying for it. Making sure I remembered everything there is to know about the topic.

What does this have to do with being a web designer?! Why do I have to answer some irrelevant aptitude test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I don't know the answer to this question as I also think it's a load of crappola! My old job used to give some test that I felt was rather arbitrary. When it was all said and done, our company determined if your personality was worth it. If not, you lose out. The way things are done in some companies is a real crying shame. I'm VERY sorry you had this experience. I suppose the only bright side is that you might be better off with a company who doesn't use this tactic to hire/not hire.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
you need some basic math for css. You can do it without math, then you will have to use your eyes instead of math.
I think they problem need someone who can program I mean hardcode C#, java, html, css, not just a designer.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Testing is a way to reduce the candidate pool. When companies have to deal with too many applicants, they often want to reduce the number they have to look at. Unfortunately, when they do this, they are more likely to weed out the best candidate for the job than weed them in but with so many to choose from, they still end up with someone decent.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
you need some basic math for css. You can do it without math, then you will have to use your eyes instead of math.
I think they problem need someone who can program I mean hardcode C#, java, html, css, not just a designer.
Yeah, basic math for calculating the width, height, padding and margins for a webpage.

Not bull**** you learn about in College.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
I said before, problem solving (like programming) is basically pattern recognition. design is also pattern recognition and flow (i dont know the proper term)

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I applied for a web design internship and was called for a "possible" interview, but only after I pass the aptitude test. I asked the employer via email what this test consists of so I can prepare for it, and he said that it was a general test and there was nothing to study for.

I said okay. So I went to the office with nothing to study for. All I've googled from aptitude tests were just puzzles you find in generic IQ tests.

The lady(at the front desk who was not the employer) gave me a packet, and asked me to work in another room. The packet consists of 5 pages of problems that you normally get in a college algebra course(some of it was logic and puzzles). She gave me, 12 minutes to finish these tests. So I did the best I could. Some of those questions took a bit of time to answer correctly. I only managed to reach about 2 pages. And when the test was done, the lady checked and told me that I didn't answer enough questions, therefore not qualify for an interview. At that moment, I wanted to cry. I wanted to send the employer and email and say "What the **** was that for?!"

I left the building, in tears, in absolute anger that my 2 hours of my time was wasted(I take a bus to the building.) I wanted to cuss out the employer and say "Why". Why the living hell of all things would you bring math questions in a job that consists of designing things?! What does that have to do with my skills in HTML, CSS, Photoshop, all the adobe products, concepts of design, which I study very hard for?! I didn't even get a chance to show off my skills.

If there was a test that consists of HTML and Adobe Creative Suite, I would have grabbed all of my design textbooks and spend all night studying for it. Making sure I remembered everything there is to know about the topic.

What does this have to do with being a web designer?! Why do I have to answer some irrelevant aptitude test?
Sounds like the Wonderlic. It's a proxy for intelligence. Intelligence is extremely predictive of performance in any job.

Here are notes on the top meta-analysis on intelligence (General Mental Ability).

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Sounds like the Wonderlic. It's a proxy for intelligence. Intelligence is extremely predictive of performance in any job.

Here are notes on the top meta-analysis on intelligence (General Mental Ability).
If this is indeed some intelligence test that I did not pass. I guess it proves thar I'm not as smart as many people say about me.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
If this is indeed some intelligence test that I did not pass. I guess it proves thar I'm not as smart as many people say about me.

I'm not certain it was, just from your description it sounds like it

Quote:
It (the test) consists of 50 multiple choice questions to be answered in 12 minutes.

Sample Questions:

When a rope is selling 20 cents per 2 feet, how many feet can you buy for 30 dollars?

Which of numbers in this group represents the smallest amount? a) 0.3 b) 0.08 c) 1 d) 0.33
from here. Wonderlic Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I'm not opposed to such a test but imposing aggressive time limits makes the test less about intelligence and more about efficient test taking strategies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search