Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM

163 posts, read 502,401 times

Advertisements

This was brought up early in the process and I have deflected it for a while without talking numbers. I do have a certain amount of money I need to get paid in order for me to be able to afford to accept this job (it will require me to move closer to their offices to avoid a lengthy commute and rent is considerably hire in that area...i live in a metropolitan region).

I've read a lot about this. Some sources say that when salary is brought up by the employer, I should turn it around and ask them what the range is? Has anybody ever done this with success? Or should I just tell them flat out what my range is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
If they've insisted on my salary, here is what I've provided:

-Base (current base and expected raise)
-Bonus (target bonus and actual % payout the past couple years - note, actual has been much higher)
-Stock (unvested amount, annual awards the past couple years)

I've also provided the timing for each of these.

When talking on requirements, I don't give a set number, BUT, I do say that I need a compelling total package. They seem to be fine with that. When I haven't given the total amount, I've found that they've given an increase in base, but the other amounts haven't made my total package intriguing.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Let them bring it up first. Then ask: "what is your salary range for the best candidate?"

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Good luck, I fought hard and they paid me $13k less than what I really wanted, $3k less than what would have made me happy.

The ONLY reason I don't continue looking is because I'm trying to have a baby and need to stay somewhere for a few years. I figure if after my kids are born and I want to move, then I will. But they have me for at least the next 2-3 years.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I just give them my current salary and keep applying. I let the companies figure out their best offer or I will move on. My last job hunt was in 2011. I had 2 offers, $12k raise and $20k raise. I didn't want to hold out for a 3rd offer, so I ran with the $20k raise.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I say if you press them for a range, make the bottom of the range the top of what you think they'd possibly be willing to pay. No point in lowballing yourself.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
This was brought up early in the process and I have deflected it for a while without talking numbers. I do have a certain amount of money I need to get paid in order for me to be able to afford to accept this job (it will require me to move closer to their offices to avoid a lengthy commute and rent is considerably hire in that area...i live in a metropolitan region).

I've read a lot about this. Some sources say that when salary is brought up by the employer, I should turn it around and ask them what the range is? Has anybody ever done this with success? Or should I just tell them flat out what my range is?
You have a number it would take to get you to move.

You have a number you want.

Assuming "want" is more than "take", give them "want" and walk if the counter is below "take"

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Default Be careful not to price yourself out

Here's a cautionary tale that will probably be controversial here.

I have an opening I've been trying to fill for a couple of months. Another new employee recommended a coworker from his prior company. I got the résumé, liked what I saw and had HR do an initial screen. They do ask what salary range the candidate is looking for. He went way off the reservation. His candidacy ended right there. We have a wide range for this position, but this guy was way over the top. Unrealistic. That was about a month ago.

Our HR recruiter changed and earlier this week the new HR rep forwarded his résumé to me again, unaware of the prior events. Apparently he applied through our web site this time. I told her what had transpired.

Today we interviewed someone. The interview went very badly, which was very disappointing for all involved. Afterward, the guy who had recommended his friend asked how it went. I told him it didn't go well. He mentioned his colleague was getting nervous, as his current position is contract and is ending. He said he's probably willing to come down to our level ( which is very competitive, by the way). I can't consider him. This is a key position that is going to be a major investment in time and money. I can't take a chance that a new hire would jump ship as soon as he finds a higher salary.

Anyway, the moral is, don't sell yourself short, but don't price yourself out of the game either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search