Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM

18 posts, read 38,322 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for an entry-level job as a Program Advisor for an international education company in Manhattan after finding the job listing on their website. The listing says that I can send my resume and cover letter in the body of an email or I can fax the materials to their office. They didn't give me the name of the person who would be reviewing the materials (the listing says to send them to Human Resources and I tried contacting the office for an actual name, but couldn't get a hold of one) - only a number for the fax machine, an email to send them to, and that they were going to Human Resources.

At first, I thought it was a no-brainer that I would send them through e-mail since there's more of a guarantee that it will make its way to the hiring manager's inbox. The more I thought about it, though, the more I feel as though sending it through fax may be better in that 1) less people will send it through fax as opposed to email and it shows that I know how to use the device, 2) If I send it through email, the resume will lose its alignment and look less "clean cut" since I'm required to paste it to the e-mail's body can't send as an attachment and 3) I thought that if the Hiring Manager has a physical copy of the materials, it would be harder for the materials to get lost in the mix, whereas an email can easily be overlooked.

I could be wrong in these assumptions - I've never submitted a job application through fax before. So I'm hoping I can get some opinions. Do you think its wiser to send in the body of an email or by fax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,381,289 times
Send it both ways then.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,629,744 times
i think the only important difference is that the fax will preserve your resume formatting. asking for a resume pasted into the body of an e-mail is pretty weird! but if that's how they're asking for it, there are going to be some weird formatting things, so i'd assume they won't hold formatting against you.

whether your application is on paper or electronic is going to constitute like .00001% of the reason a hiring manager pays more attention to it, if that. they'll pay attention to you if you're a good candidate. don't spend your time worrying about format.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,030,320 times
I've always preferred faxing, so the formatting doesn't get goofed up.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,629,744 times
one way to avoid that (with normal employers who let you attach things!) is to send your resume via e-mail as a pdf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search