Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times

Advertisements

I know, it's not really a problem to complain about. However, I would be interested in hearing opinions.

Here's the situation:

You don't like your current job and want to get out ASAP.

You have 2 interviews with different companies (Job A & Job B) on the same week. Either is a big improvement over the current situation, but job B is perfect.

Both interviews go well. Now let's say you get an offer fairly quickly for Job A. You really want Job B so how do you buy more time to hear from Job B?

Starting the hiring process with company A and then bailing a week or two into it would not look good and may hurt your chances in that industry in the future.

Do you tell Job A you'd like a little extra time because you're waiting on another offer? You made it clear in the interview you're interested in the job, in theory you shouldn't need more than a day to accept.

How much time do companies typically give to reply to an offer?

Oh, and staying with the current company is not a desirable option, so you can't balk too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
if anything, i'd tell company b that you have an offer but are more interested in their position. then see what they do. if they really want you, and if it's possible, they'll expedite the process.

if you tell company a you're waiting for another offer, you're basically telling them you don't want the job. not a good move.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I agree do not say you have another offer. I would tell Company B that you have an offer for another position but are more interested in working for them. Then ask Company A if you can extend your start date because you are currently working on another project for your current job and want to help finish it, but only ask for a few weeks at the most.

I'd also ask Company B when a decision will be made.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Good points, I agree that it'd be better telling company B that I have an offer, but would prefer to work for them.

There is still the issue of delaying company A. Besides waiting for another offer, there's no reason to delay accepting the offer. I could push out the start date, but that doesn't mean the hiring process would be pushed back. A LOT of paperwork would be involved and I don't want that train to start rolling if all I need is an extra week to confirm or deny whether Company B will make an offer.

Anything I can try to gain a few more days?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM

How long did they give you to accept the offer? Take the whole time. I was given a few days. Then all you can do is extend the start date, these things happen, people accept jobs but then take something else.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree do not say you have another offer. I would tell Company B that you have an offer for another position but are more interested in working for them. Then ask Company A if you can extend your start date because you are currently working on another project for your current job and want to help finish it, but only ask for a few weeks at the most.

I'd also ask Company B when a decision will be made.
^^ This! I have done it once in the past and it worked. Ask Job A for 3-4 weeks (instead of the regular 2 weeks). Say you want to finish a project at your current job; boss is on vacation for 2 weeks and you need to manage the team/month-end/project/whatever, want to take a couple days off before starting a new job...whatever you can confidently lie. Hopefully, you will hear back from Job B within the 3-4 weeks you have before you join job A.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I know, it's not really a problem to complain about. However, I would be interested in hearing opinions.

Here's the situation:

You don't like your current job and want to get out ASAP.

You have 2 interviews with different companies (Job A & Job B) on the same week. Either is a big improvement over the current situation, but job B is perfect.

Both interviews go well. Now let's say you get an offer fairly quickly for Job A. You really want Job B so how do you buy more time to hear from Job B?

Starting the hiring process with company A and then bailing a week or two into it would not look good and may hurt your chances in that industry in the future.

Do you tell Job A you'd like a little extra time because you're waiting on another offer? You made it clear in the interview you're interested in the job, in theory you shouldn't need more than a day to accept.

How much time do companies typically give to reply to an offer?

Oh, and staying with the current company is not a desirable option, so you can't balk too long.

I would just give a start date two or three weeks from the offer which would allow you sometime to see what the other company does.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM

I do agree that it's a good idea to push out the start date.

But that would still mean that I accept the offer from Company A. If I get the job with Company B, I'm still burning Company A a little right? Sounds like there's no real way around it.

I have accepted an offer in the past and then bailed before, but the major difference is that this would be a job firmly in my "network" and word travels fast .

Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i'd do everything you can to avoid accepting the offer and then bailing. it's definitely not going to be appreciated and depending on your industry it could really haunt you.

however, if job b is really THAT much better than job a, you may have to do it.

do you know when company a wants an answer by? you can request some extra time, you don't have to say why. but there's a limit to how long you can make them wait. a week is probably the absolute max.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM

It happens all the time, I wouldn't worry too much. You can be very respectful and say that while you appreciate the opportunity you have accepted a position elsewhere.

How sure are you about the other company in terms of getting an offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search