U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
 
95 posts, read 227,851 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

I just got a call recently from a job recruiter (from a famous staffing agency) about whether or not I want a temp/contract job THREE YEARS after I asked them for help.

The recruiter tried to ask how much I'm currently making and who I work for (to enter into their database). Consequently, I told them to go F themselves (in a more eloquent manner of course ).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
bUU
 
Location: Florida
12,077 posts, read 9,710,170 times
Reputation: 8765
That's not a smart approach to employment. The expectation that a recruiter should be able to find you a job whenever you want is unreasonable. The fact that the recruiter called you back after a few years is just a normal reflection of that discipline, to keep in touch with potential clients, a reasonable period of time after they would have likely have gotten a new job from their first job search, in hopes that you catch them at a time when they're thinking of making another move. Being rude to someone who might actually someday be in a position to help you isn't a good idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
 
2,426 posts, read 3,935,216 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's not a smart approach to employment. The expectation that a recruiter should be able to find you a job whenever you want is unreasonable. The fact that the recruiter called you back after a few years is just a normal reflection of that discipline, to keep in touch with potential clients, a reasonable period of time after they would have likely have gotten a new job from their first job search, in hopes that you catch them at a time when they're thinking of making another move. Being rude to someone who might actually someday be in a position to help you isn't a good idea.
Agreed. Recruiters actually aren't working for you, but they are useful to have for your career. Let's say in 5 years you have a dream company you want to work for and guess who they use for their recruiting. If they use that firm you told to eff off, I can tell you the chances of you working there are slim. What I have learned in life, be nice to everyone, because you never know in what shape or form they will return in your life in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,922 posts, read 13,164,262 times
Reputation: 5395
Had this happen to me too.. I met with a recruiter in 2007 and forgot about her over time.

In 2010 I get a call from her.. and she even had to explain how and where I had met her 3 years ago.

Then she asks me where I went to school.

Her: So where did you get your masters in Finance?

Me: I got it from UC Irvine*

Her: Why didn't you get it from Harvard*?

It was pretty insulting.

* - Not the actual schools but you get the idea..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 5,550,516 times
Reputation: 3724
I still get emails for job positions from an old recruiter, I appreciate it because you never know when you'd rather take a better opportunity! Hopefully burning that bridge doesn't hurt you, but I understand the frustration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 1,484,031 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
I just got a call recently from a job recruiter (from a famous staffing agency) about whether or not I want a temp/contract job THREE YEARS after I asked them for help.

The recruiter tried to ask how much I'm currently making and who I work for (to enter into their database). Consequently, I told them to go F themselves (in a more eloquent manner of course
Haha! Love it! Good for you. Staffing agencies and recruiters are Evil, vile sub-species.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
 
95 posts, read 227,851 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I still get emails for job positions from an old recruiter, I appreciate it because you never know when you'd rather take a better opportunity! Hopefully burning that bridge doesn't hurt you, but I understand the frustration.
It's more frustrating when I think of it this way.

Imagine you're in the desert and you're dying of thirst. A water salesman on a camel offers to give you some help; he then disappears and gets help. Three years later, the water salesman reappears and knocks on the door of your fancy new condo and brings you some water.

That water sure would have been very helpful three freakin' years ago when you were dying of thirst in the desert.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,099 posts, read 4,657,785 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
I just got a call recently from a job recruiter (from a famous staffing agency) about whether or not I want a temp/contract job THREE YEARS after I asked them for help.

The recruiter tried to ask how much I'm currently making and who I work for (to enter into their database). Consequently, I told them to go F themselves (in a more eloquent manner of course ).
Not a smart thing to do! They are not your friends who will help you when you need them; they work on commission and will not call you until you are a good fit for one of their openings. I have recruiters contacting me 7-10 years after I may have worked on one of their contracts or with their agency, happens all the time. They may not remember me but have my contacts and profile in their database.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,605 posts, read 54,618,172 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
I just got a call recently from a job recruiter (from a famous staffing agency) about whether or not I want a temp/contract job THREE YEARS after I asked them for help.

The recruiter tried to ask how much I'm currently making and who I work for (to enter into their database). Consequently, I told them to go F themselves (in a more eloquent manner of course ).

I would have just hung the phone up since it was such a stupid call along with personal questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,099 posts, read 4,657,785 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I would have just hung the phone up since it was such a stupid call along with personal questions.
A personal question? You find it offensive when a recruiter asks you where you work??!?!?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top