Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,538,238 times

Advertisements

We fired the guys/gals who do this crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM

44,271 posts, read 19,928,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am more suprised by those that don't take notes.................I don't have a perfect memory and when we are talking a lot of numbers, quotas, salaries, territories.........I can't recall all that for so many companies.
I'm surprised, too, Colorado. I'm a paralegal. I've always taken notes at job interviews, and the interviewer was always impressed that I was interested enough in the job to want to learn more about the company and the position and jot down notes as we went along.

I wouldn't take notes on an electronic device, though. I'd bring along a binder as someone else mentioned. It has a paper tablet under a clip on one side and a pocket on the other side for a couple of pens and copies of my CV. I also would bring a checklist of questions I wanted to be sure to ask the interviewer so that I wouldn't forget to ask something important.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
We fired the guys/gals who do this crap
What's that? Bluetooth or device for notes?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,809,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am more suprised by those that don't take notes.................I don't have a perfect memory and when we are talking a lot of numbers, quotas, salaries, territories.........I can't recall all that for so many companies.

The purpose of a interview is to sell your personality. how can you do that if you are taking notes on a laptop

Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The purpose of a interview is to sell your personality. how can you do that if you are taking notes on a laptop
Fair point. The other reason I asked, and didn't mention, is doctors do it all the time now, and it's not seen as a barrier between patient and doctor, not to me, it means more accurate data.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM

26 posts, read 94,793 times
Recently, I was interviewed for a job at a high-end, "we only do cool projects" design firm.

My two potential "bosses" -- women in their mid-30s -- took me into the conference room. Both carried printouts of my design samples and resume.

One of the women also brought her laptop -- and kept it open during the entire interview, intermittently gazing and smiling at who-knows-what on the screen. Which I couldn't see.

The other woman spent most of the hour transfixed by her iPhone. Between bursts of texting, she only occasionally bothered to glance at me.

No, I didn't get the job. But after meeting their lovely ADHD selves, I definitely didn't want it.

----------------------

Last edited by DillyDilly; 08-29-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM

179 posts, read 246,594 times
I can't recall ever taking notes as an interviewee. I'd think you were either distracted or way too anal retentive and probably move on to someone with some people skills.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
I can't recall ever taking notes as an interviewee. I'd think you were either distracted or way too anal retentive and probably move on to someone with some people skills.
Really so is that an acceptable double standard because every prospective employer takes notes on me. I have had a few phone interviewers say I have to pause and input notes.

Basically,yesterday I just jotted down bullet points so I don't break eye contact for an extended period of time.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,712,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Who takes notes at an interview?
You don't take notes?

Huh?

It makes you look prepared, you can cross your key questions off the list. And put notes on anecdotes to share during the interview.

I'd call it required. I have been since my first job.

I had a job interview shopping list:
interview suit
portfolio for my notepad to hold my resume
nice pen for portfolio
purse big enough to hold the portfolio

That was just required!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,712,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
My bad, I thought the OP was the interviewee, not interviewer. I work in Finance and it would just be weird to sit and take notes as an interviewee
I just don't get this. It would be weird to jot down every sentence, but a few key points? Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
I take notes, and I am super personable. Taking notes =/= being unpersonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search