Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

Cool I will bookmark that one my FIL is 4E we buy NB for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'm pretty sure you could find something online to order.

I have bad joints so wearing most shoes will really bother me and since I'm tall, I almost always wear flats.

Generally, I will wear sneakers and then change into shoes as soon as I get there/before the interview. If you don't have time to order a pair of shoes from the internet, could you do what everyone else suggested and just squeeze into the shoes for the interview? You could always wear sneakers before and after.
I am in the OP's boat. As I mentioned in post 7 I wear 4Es as well. Let me tell you, "squeezing into" shoes is a bad idea. I've been there and done that and unless I go and get size 12's (up from a 9 1/2-10 New Balance 4E to fit my wide feet), it is not going to be easy and hurt like hell. If you have NEVER had foot pains, imagine that the shoe is a 5 pound bag and your foot is 8 if not 10. Forget if you have arch issues (low-arch, high-arch, ect) like I have. I can't wear my dress shoes for more than an hour or so without them hurting.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Cool I will bookmark that one my FIL is 4E we buy NB for him
Glad I could help.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
I guess I'm morbid, or just have a lot of really old relatives, but I always have funeral-appropriate attire on hand. Including the shoes, which in a pinch could serve double-duty for an interview. Am I alone on this one? <...crickets...>

I'd wear men's loafers before I wore sneakers to an interview.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I guess I'm morbid, or just have a lot of really old relatives, but I always have funeral-appropriate attire on hand. Including the shoes, which in a pinch could serve double-duty for an interview. Am I alone on this one? <...crickets...>

I'd wear men's loafers before I wore sneakers to an interview.
No I am old enough that I started that way and as the business world evolved so did I so I have 1 suit I wear for interviews and law offices sales appts. and the rest of the time I am dress shirt and slacks.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
You can always try the second hand stores especially if you might never need them again for work or if cost is a consideration. You just never know what you might find there and lots of items are like new and sometimes even new.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You can always try the second hand stores especially if you might never need them again for work or if cost is a consideration. You just never know what you might find there and lots of items are like new and sometimes even new.
Wide shoes are like trying to find XXXLs in many stores. They are not easy at all to find. You may luck out but you are likely to end up with nothing. Also the shoe aren't universal from maker to maker. For instance, Nike are notoriously narrow shoes but have "wide" shoes. Their wides, are about as wide as normal shoes if not a little wider. They aren't exactly 4Es. If you get 4Es from brand to brand, that too is not the same.

FYI, my posts aren't copouts. I am trying to get people who don't live with feet issues like me to see the other side.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
In my opinion even if you are applying for a job at a gym you should not wear sneakers on an interview. Even though the actual job may be very casual and if employed you could wear sneakers on the interview you want to show a more polished and responsible look. Also that you took time to put yourself together.
I thought I read Nordstrom's carries sizes for people who have a hard time finding.
I would think in the future even going out for a nice dinner you will need a pair of non sneaker shoes so this is a good opportunity to get a pair.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
In my opinion even if you are applying for a job at a gym you should not wear sneakers on an interview. Even though the actual job may be very casual and if employed you could wear sneakers on the interview you want to show a more polished and responsible look. Also that you took time to put yourself together.
I thought I read Nordstrom's carries sizes for people who have a hard time finding.
I would think in the future even going out for a nice dinner you will need a pair of non sneaker shoes so this is a good opportunity to get a pair.

This. Nordstrom is the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP. That's what they are famous for--shoes in all sizes.

Yes, they tend to be expensive, but you can't wear sneakers to an office job interview.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This. Nordstrom is the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP. That's what they are famous for--shoes in all sizes.

Yes, they tend to be expensive, but you can't wear sneakers to an office job interview.
I wouldn't trust a Nordstro, JC Penny's or Macy's for wide shoes. I've tried wide New Balances at these places and they are not quite wide enough and as a matter of fact hurt my feet. The one time I did this, I couldn't walk in the mall even after finding good shoes at Famous Footware because the Penny's shoes pushed my othordics into my arch. Imagine a hot iron feeling being shot up into your arch and then you'll know the pain I felt.

I still say the best bet for anyone in the predicament that myself and the OP face through the need of wide shoes, that they should look at specialty shoe stores locally and online shoe stores. This is the ONLY option to allow for what we need. Otherwise, you are looking at getting headaches along the way because you can't find the exact size you need or have to get clown shoes (which are only acceptable for the circus and bowling.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search