Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Then why does the ad say it? Security Officer Job in Groveland 01834, Massachusetts US

Look to the left of your screen, the fine print.

Not to mention, I can't get any job if employers don't call me back. That's one of the things nobody understands.

The left of the screen is the job summary. In other words, the wish list. If I were posting a profile on a dating site I can say that I will only date Swedish supermodels, Bar Rafaeli or Kate Upton. In reality, I will be happy with something that falls a bit short of my dreams.

Look to the bottom, where it says job requirements. No experience cited. Even if it did, you should apply.

Trust me. These people need a security guard. If nobody with experience applies they will lower their standards. If they cannot supply somebody, they will lose their contract with the mall, office building, whatever. They WILL hire somebody, but if you do not apply, I guarantee that you won't be that person.

I note that you are north of Boston. I know that area. I simply do not believe that you have exhausted all of your employment options. It is too densely populated with too many businesses of all types for you to have done so. There are a zillion colleges, city agencies, tech companies, tourist businesses, retail stores, etc. take a bus to Boston if you need. The commute from where you are would be brutal, but it would be a job.

Last edited by fishbrains; 09-09-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:

I have posted jobs like that in the past. I would get 100 applications and not call 99 of them. So what? I hired the one person I needed. How does that hire hurt the labour market?

You are not guaranteed an interview, much less a position. Get over it. Apply to 100 jobs. Legit, open positions, not simply walking into McDonalds and filling out an app. If you have a decent résumé, even if it is sparse, you will get a couple of calls. One of those might, just maybe, lead to an offer.

If you limit yourself to the application terminal at Target you are wasting your time.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Go hang out with the day laborers
They don't even care about a criminal record and its good experience.
I wonder if the OP has even considered this. It sounds as though he's young and is probably fit enough to do some honest hard work for a day's pay. Every morning that I'm out early I pass by at least four spots where dayworkers hang out first thing waiting for construction bosses to drive by and pick them up to take them to construction sites. They come in all shapes and sizes and I've even seen women in the group once in a while.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orome View Post
I understand it's hard to see the other side of the fence, but there are plenty of people out there that are simply frozen out of the workforce, it's just hard to explain to someone that hasn't been there.
I've always been employed, but I know quite a few people with college degrees who live in urban areas with fairly low unemployment who have had problems finding steady work, and not because they're trying to get jobs in their field of study in college. For unskilled or low-skilled jobs I almost think having a college degree is a deterrent to employers even interviewing you, as they expect you'll always be looking to leave for something better. One of my friends finally landed an admin asst. job after taking her college degree in math OFF her resume.

It really irritates me to no end when people blame the unemployed for not being able to find work in this economy. Although the economy has improved and we're no longer in a recession, I fear the unemployment rate doesn't paint the entire picture, as many people have simply stopped looking after years of getting nowhere. And many companies will only hire contract, temp, or part-time workers to avoid the cost of benefits. Moving to a different area is fine if you can afford it, but when you have no money for security deposits, first and last months' rent, or a job lined up so that a landlord will even agree to rent to you at all, it's not always as simple as it sounds.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
What kind of college degree would be needed to get a job at a grocery store? They don't seem to be interested hiring me with just a G.E.D., (I never get called back after filling out an application), so I suspect I'll need some kind of degree to have a chance.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post

It really irritates me to no end when people blame the unemployed for not being able to find work in this economy. Although the economy has improved and we're no longer in a recession, I fear the unemployment rate doesn't paint the entire picture, as many people have simply stopped looking after years of getting nowhere. And many companies will only hire contract, temp, or part-time workers to avoid the cost of benefits. Moving to a different area is fine if you can afford it, but when you have no money for security deposits, first and last months' rent, or a job lined up so that a landlord will even agree to rent to you at all, it's not always as simple as it sounds.

Trust me. You are not the only one that feels that way.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
It just seems out here, the bottom doesn't exist. At least not for me. I'm not sure why. I've tried all the fast food/grocery store/restauraunt/retail applying and no call backs after filling out the application. I'm perfectly qualified for the jobs. I'm still willing to clean bathrooms, but those jobs don't seem to exist.

People are always talking about starting out at the bottom, but what do you do when there is no bottom? It just seems like there isn't for me. I just wish I knew why.
Have you tried Labor Ready or hanging out with the day laborers??

Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
There's no labor ready out here.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Day Labor in Haverhill, Massachusetts with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

From
Haverhill, MA
To Labor Ready
11 BROADWAY
LAWRENCE, MA 01840
TextDistanceTime 1.) Start out going WEST on SUMMER ST toward MAIN ST/RT-125.0.03 miles< 1 min 2.) SUMMER ST becomes RT-97 N.2.09 miles6 mins 3.) Merge onto I-495 S.5.59 miles6 mins 4.) Take the MERRIMACK ST exit, EXIT 44.0.64 miles1 min 5.) Turn RIGHT onto MERRIMACK ST.1.27 miles3 mins 6.) Turn RIGHT onto S BROADWAY/RT-28.0.36 miles1 min
Total Distance: 9.98 miles
Total Time: 19 mins

Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Oh lookee, theres even a bus

Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority - Places to Purchase Passes

Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority - All Routes Listed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search