Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

We always show a deadline but may leave it open a month or more if it's a position requiring unique skills. I had one opening where we got over 100 applications but only about 6 people met the minimum requirements on paper, and after interviewing, none were really qualified. We opened it back up for another two weeks, got 20 more applicants of which only one (who we selected) was actually prepared to do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I am currently employed within insurance, but assume this question is valid for all industries.

A well-known insurance carrier has a job that is available on their career board, except that it has an originally posted on 7/29/2013 date. The job is typically of high-profile (e.g. people internally and externally jump for this job).

Do employers intentionally leave this posting up for over a month to see if they can collect further applicant information (even if they've already filled the position)?

Was this a "fake" posting in a sense that they want to gauge the available talent pool? E.g. maybe they don't want to fill the job until early next year?

Is it still worth my time to apply for this job, despite it being a month+ old? The challenge is that companies hate when you apply for multiple jobs at the same time. I have been told that a lot of automated HR websites (e.g. Taleo) take note of this, and thus, I want to "save" my application for a posting that is worthy of pursuit.

Any input is most appreciated.

If it's still posted then chances are the opening is fake. Most positions are filled from within so to see a job still posted after 4 weeks is not a position you need to take seriously in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
It's not a "limit," per se, but I was told that HR professionals take the number of times you've applied into the company for consideration (especially if it's simultaneous applications) because it may seem that you're simply applying to random jobs instead of being devoted to one particular career path.

This scenario comes up often with insurance carriers -- for example, you can have the knowledge and skills that qualify you for jobs that have to do with Administration, Support, Business Development/Sales, Data Processor, etc.

If you have the experience for both positions you are applying for then it's not a issue.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If it's still posted then chances are the opening is fake. Most positions are filled from within so to see a job still posted after 4 weeks is not a position you need to take seriously in my opinion.
Please stop doing this. Companies simply do not post fake openings. It is simply not a cost effective thing to do.

Temp companies may post speculative openings, some openings have an inside track candidate, and other openings may have enough applicants already. You keep talking as if some companies hire a person to do nothing it post false openings tp f*** with people.

It simply does not happen that way, and posting as if it does is a disservice to readers of this forum.

If there is a job posting that any given person is interested in, they should apply. There are so many factors that cannot be known by the applicant that it is foolish to try and guess one's chances at getting an interview for any given position.

The only thing that can be known for sure is that if you do not apply, you will not be considered. So if you want a job, you should apply to job postings.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Please stop doing this. Companies simply do not post fake openings. It is simply not a cost effective thing to do.
It's ironic that the exact position he took in December 2012 is still posted as open "until further notice" on the government website. I guess that's a "fake" listing as well. Or not ...

Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 AM
FBJ

Quote:

Temp companies may post speculative openings, some openings have an inside track candidate, and other openings may have enough applicants already. You keep talking as if some companies hire a person to do nothing it post false openings tp f*** with people.

It simply does not happen that way, and posting as if it does is a disservice to readers of this forum.

If there is a job posting that any given person is interested in, they should apply. There are so many factors that cannot be known by the applicant that it is foolish to try and guess one's chances at getting an interview for any given position.

The only thing that can be known for sure is that if you do not apply, you will not be considered. So if you want a job, you should apply to job postings.

Are you seriously telling it's not a such thing as a job being posted that's filled?? I worked for a company that did this all the time and filled positions internally. So yes there is a such thing as a fake job posting.

Example below

Careers and Benefits | Philadelphia Works

Now when you click on the job position "Marketing and Communication Manager" it will say........"sorry we are no longer accepting applications'

So if that is the case then why is the job still posted? So there is your proof that there are fake job openings

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Is it still worth my time to apply for this job,
How much time are we talking about? Thirty seconds? That's how long it takes to apply to jobs on a company website on which you already have a profile with your resume in its electronic database.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Are you seriously telling it's not a such thing as a job being posted that's filled?? I worked for a company that did this all the time and filled positions internally. So yes there is a such thing as a fake job posting.

Example below

Careers and Benefits | Philadelphia Works

Now when you click on the job position "Marketing and Communication Manager" it will say........"sorry we are no longer accepting applications'

So if that is the case then why is the job still posted? So there is your proof that there are fake job openings
Do you not understand the words, "sorry we are no longer accepting applications" appended to a listing? What makes your example a "fake" listing?

Why is YOUR position still listed as open "until further notice"?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Your example of one company does not mean that all, most or even some companies do this. Furthermore, it defies reason that all positions were filled internally. For this to be the case the company would need to eliminate one position for every posting. In actual fact, what usually happens when an internal candidate gets the job is that a lower level position opens up.

A company may have a preference for promoting from within, and that is probably a good thing. But it cannot be the company's exclusive means of filling positions. People retire, positions are added, no suitable internal candidates exist.

Other times an external candidate will come along and surprise everyone, and received the position over a favored internal applicant.

Simply because an occasional job is posted that ultimately gets filled internally does not mean that many fake job postings exist.

Quote:

It's not really posted then, is it? If one tries to apply the "not accepting applications" message is received. This gives potential applicants instant information. That is a very, very different position from the OP who presumably went as far a clicking on the job link before posting here.

It is immensely irresponsible for you to dissuade people from applying for jobs when you have no solid knowledge a to whether the position is open or not. You don't know where the OP is looking, what the job is, or anything else. For you to make definitive statements based upon no evidence and a very limited experience is ludicrous. These are people's live you are playing with while you give your terrible advice.

There are also a number of technical reasons why one might see an announcement when they are no longer accepting applications. Off the top of my head-

1. The posting was found on an aggregator such as Indeed. Click on the link to go directly to the HR site and get the no applications message. Aggregator sites scrape legit sites, but don't really care about being current.

2. Applications are denied once 75 or 100 people submit. This is to reduce the pile of applicants. Again, not a fake posting, small one where hey have received all the applications they need.

3. The public site lags behind the secure HR site. The info is kept on different servers to provide security for applicants personal info. Again, a legit posting, just a lag in updating.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Your example of one company does not mean that all, most or even some companies do this. Furthermore, it defies reason that all positions were filled internally. For this to be the case the company would need to eliminate one position for every posting. In actual fact, what usually happens when an internal candidate gets the job is that a lower level position opens up.

A company may have a preference for promoting from within, and that is probably a good thing. But it cannot be the company's exclusive means of filling positions. People retire, positions are added, no suitable internal candidates exist.

Other times an external candidate will come along and surprise everyone, and received the position over a favored internal applicant.

Simply because an occasional job is posted that ultimately gets filled internally does not mean that many fake job postings exist.

It's not really posted then, is it? If one tries to apply the "not accepting applications" message is received. This gives potential applicants instant information. That is a very, very different position from the OP who presumably went as far a clicking on the job link before posting here.

It is immensely irresponsible for you to dissuade people from applying for jobs when you have no solid knowledge a to whether the position is open or not. You don't know where the OP is looking, what the job is, or anything else. For you to make definitive statements based upon no evidence and a very limited experience is ludicrous. These are people's live you are playing with while you give your terrible advice.

There are also a number of technical reasons why one might see an announcement when they are no longer accepting applications. Off the top of my head-

1. The posting was found on an aggregator such as Indeed. Click on the link to go directly to the HR site and get the no applications message. Aggregator sites scrape legit sites, but don't really care about being current.

2. Applications are denied once 75 or 100 people submit. This is to reduce the pile of applicants. Again, not a fake posting, small one where hey have received all the applications they need.

3. The public site lags behind the secure HR site. The info is kept on different servers to provide security for applicants personal info. Again, a legit posting, just a lag in updating.

I used to work for this company back in 2005 and they never hired from the outside which is why I was confused when i saw the positions posted on the website. You only were a employee of that place if you knew someone who worked there. And if all that is true then they should remove the position from the site instead of getting someone's hopes up who is unemployed only to find out there are not accepting anymore applications. And I can't tell people not to apply only suggest that it maybe fake but they have to make their own mind whether they would apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search