Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times

Advertisements

So I am applying at a large well known telecom company and they won't let me advance unless I complete a tax credit screening. I know some companies get these credits from the gov. for hiring certain disadvantaged applicants.

Who gets and keep this datas because they are asking very personal questions? Have you received food stamps, how many people in your household and how much do each of them make? Why does anyone have a right to know what other residents of my household make!

Do we have any privacy left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM

763 posts, read 2,596,625 times
I filled out an online app today and it gave me the option to fill it out at that point or at another time. I figured I'd go ahead and do it, but when I opened it up, it asked for my SSN. I am not going to give a company my SSN, DOB or any other personal information until I'm hired by them. This is the first time I've had this come up for me with an online app.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM

What I found out is that they require all info but when I didn't put in what my wife made it let me advance. Now they may kick it back and if they do, I will probably just pass on this company. If it can be verified the employer won't get any of this info I will probably complete it, if it gets rejected and kicked back to me.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
If it determines whether or not you get hired at that place, would it make a difference? Big companies want the tax credit and it might be a determining factor in selecting one applicant over another.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
What I found out is that they require all info but when I didn't put in what my wife made it let me advance. Now they may kick it back and if they do, I will probably just pass on this company. If it can be verified the employer won't get any of this info I will probably complete it, if it gets rejected and kicked back to me.
I received an email from them telling me they received my application, etc., but it didn't mention anything about being incomplete because I didn't take the survey. I didn't even try to make it advance without my info. I'll take the survey when and if the time comes.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If it determines whether or not you get hired at that place, would it make a difference? Big companies want the tax credit and it might be a determining factor in selecting one applicant over another.
Which would not be a problem with me, but requesting that I take a survey which asks for my SSN at this level of the application process really doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy."

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Becaue the questions asked on that survey are very private, and frankly offensive. Let me ask you I promise not to do anything bad with your SS# want to post it on CD, we know the answer already.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,936,046 times
I will not provide my SSN in online applications (when I'm looking). If the site won't let me proceed I put in all zeroes or nines. My current employer did the tax screening but not until after I'd accepted their offer.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I will not provide my SSN in online applications (when I'm looking). If the site won't let me proceed I put in all zeroes or nines. My current employer did the tax screening but not until after I'd accepted their offer.
So did you complete the tax screening, did it ask such personal questions as I posted?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Can you plug in a dummy SSN on these surveys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search