Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times

Advertisements

So I applied to this job for an upper management position. The listing was constantly posted although I don't think the position was available, usually you have to be junior management before they move you to management, rarely do they take an outsider directly to management (that's how this industry is) About a month later they called for an phone interview. I did well I think, it lasted an hour and we had lots to talk about. They said they would call me if anything came up. I suspected the position was already filled and they were checking out my application out.

2 weeks ago I applied to a department manger position ( a different one, not the upper management one that I did the phone interview for) that had been posted, and they wanted someone with significant experience outside of the company

It has been about 2.5 weeks, should I sent an email to ask about it's status or is that too soon? I mean you'd think if did an interview about a month ago for a higher up position they would have got back to me either a call or a rejection letter by now?

Also if they would interview you for a higher position would it then mean they would consider you for a lower department position in the same industry?

should I wait longer or send an email? I have heard nothing so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
They have your submitted application for the job. If you're one of their favorites, they will contact you. I wouldn't contact them and ask about your application UNLESS you had a recruiter that you worked with previously who let you know that they will be trying to work to get you into the company.

2.5 weeks isn't a long amount of time. In fact, they are probably still reviewing resumes and determining who they want to contact for an interview. Just because they interviewed you for a higher position doesn't mean they will interview you for a lower position. Different hiring managers have different opinions on what they really want to see. Some hiring managers want you to have everything on their checklist, while other hiring managers hire based upon someone's potential. So the hiring manager for a lower level position may not think you're a good fit for that role, purely based upon different management styles, different opinions, attitudes.... it's a tastes/preferences thing.

I think of a job search a lot like dating. You want to come across as interested, but not desperate. If they want you to interview, they will call you.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM

120 posts, read 193,697 times
If they're interested in you, then they will contact you, almost always by phone. If you get an email from them, it will almost always be the "We've decided to pursue other candidates that are more in line with our desired skills" one. Badgering them about whether they've looked at your resume accomplishes nothing. This idea that calling up a company to check on the status of your resume will make you look good in their eyes because they'll see that you're persistent and eager to take the position, is ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:04 AM

I hope they at least send a rejection letter if they are not interested in me or whatever. Since I had done one interview for higher position. I hope at least I would get that, I still have not received any contact at all whatsoever especially since I did a phone interview, eventually I think they should send me some sort of an email. or some sort of contact.

I have about 95% of what they are looking for do places contact or let people know during the ad is posted or after the ad is no longer posted?

Also how can one tell if the jobs are real or fake? they always have the same lower entry level positions posted and only once in a while have upper level one. Other business for example the same jobs have been posted for 6 months and still are listed to this day.

Last edited by Swan Dive; 09-14-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 AM

I worked for a large fortune 500 company and when i interviewed in person, as an internal candidate both by phone and by meeting, I would be lucky to receive a form letter when the position was closed. Nothing about the process was personal and this was as an INSIDE candidate, not someone grasping at straws that a prior interview somehow made my application to a new position more special. If a posting was removed, they would send a general letter saying department needs have changed and they weren't hiring for the position any longer.

Eventually, they will send you contact. They won't send you contact until they have interviewed people, selected their candidate, and have a candidate accept their offer. Even if you are 95% of what they want, it doesn't make you more entitled to know these changes than anyone else. Then, it will be an impersonal rejection letter. If the company doesn't have the ability to do email-blasts like that (smaller companies I would assume may not do this), then you may never receive word so you will have to fill in the dots yourself.

I don't get why you don't see that interviewing with them for a higher position is not related to anything with this position. The positions might even have different recruiters, one who may not know you have ever interviewed or been contacted by the company.

I have interviewed with some companies where the recruiter contacted me to let me know I didn't get the position, but this was always in a case where I had an interview on their campus after an initial phone screen. And they were rare exceptions to the rule, not the general rule. Most, I had to figure it out myself. In fact, I had an on-campus interview with the civilian department of the navy to be a financial analyst for them back in 2008. I still haven't heard if they have rejected me or not.... and I don't think my application with them has anything to do with any other applications I had sent on USA JOBS.....

Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
I think 2.5 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to wait to send a follow up email, heck I think I would have sent one in 2 weeks.

In my experience though the general rule seems to be " if it takes them a while to get back to you, you probably did not get the job". You may not even get a rejection email/phone call. Heck I never heard back from 2 jobs where I actually interviewed in person- obivolsy it's been quite some time and I did not get the job, but at the same time I never got a formal rejection

Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 PM

[quote=randomlikeme;31406775].

Eventually, they will send you contact. They won't send you contact until they have interviewed people, selected their candidate, and have a candidate accept their offer. Even if you are 95% of what they want, it doesn't make you more entitled to know these changes than anyone else. Then, it will be an impersonal rejection letter. If the company doesn't have the ability to do email-blasts like that (smaller companies I would assume may not do this), then you may never receive word so you will have to fill in the dots yourself.

/QUOTE]

This is a large business they have around 10k staff or so all over the US and Canada

I have the settings set so that I will receive an email if I am not selected. I hope they send something. To me this job seems like a shoe in I cant understand why they wouldn't call but at the same time I know how it is sometimes. This job is actually better suited than the higher up position by allot, thats why it would shock me if they didn't call.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Should I have been rejected by now? it has been 3 weeks

Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Nothing is a shoe in these days, in this economy! NOTHING. Since you said this is a large company and you haven't heard back about this different position, wait for the email blast. It may have been three weeks for you, but three weeks isn't that long. Some companies will use the first few weeks of the posting to collect resumes and then later on when they're ready to interview, they will pool everyone together for who to contact. It might be a month or two until the hiring manager is actually ready to hire.

It'd be a different story if you interviewed for this second position, but you didn't. You interviewed for something else and therefore, wait for the recruiter to contact you. You may see it as a shoe-in, but there's always someone else who may be just as qualified as you are, but his cousin works in a different department in that company or there's a qualified internal candidate that they will promote first.

Keep applying to other jobs within that company if you want to work for them, keep applying for jobs at other companies. I wouldn't wait around on this position.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:25 PM

I'm worried about external candidates, the ad states they are looking someone with external experience outside their company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search