Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Yeah I wouldn't ever work for free either. You gotta draw the line some place. I think not getting paid is that place.
Foolish. I worked for free for several months and not only learned how to do some really valuable things, but also could have worked there full time if I'd wanted to. But I didn't take some silly coffee-making internship. I picked out a place I liked and sent them an email telling them exactly what I wanted to learn and what I could offer in return. It worked out really well for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 PM

361 posts, read 922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Foolish. I worked for free for several months and not only learned how to do some really valuable things, but also could have worked there full time if I'd wanted to. But I didn't take some silly coffee-making internship. I picked out a place I liked and sent them an email telling them exactly what I wanted to learn and what I could offer in return. It worked out really well for all.
What skill set can you pick up in a couple months working for free that you couldn't have learned yourself?

LMAO @ actually wanting to be paid in return for work as "foolish". You're totally right, I don't know what I was thinking!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
What skill set can you pick up in a couple months working for free that you couldn't have learned yourself?

LMAO @ actually wanting to be paid in return for work as "foolish". You're totally right, I don't know what I was thinking!!!
Agreed.

In this day and age there is no skill someone can't learn from the Internet.

With an internship, you will never be placed into a position of consequence or decision- which is exactly where you learn nuances and proprietary solutions.

The positions you will be in are of those with skills that can be learned from either/or youtube/Wikipedia.

No matter how you slice it, it's free labor.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Yeah I have a friend who's a 27 year old career student and the only thing she's ever done are internships or fellowships. Never made more than $15,000 a year but her parents are massively rich and pay for her condo and pay for her to travel around the world.

Naturally she hates all corporations and knows everything about the working class and what we need.
Sounds like a lot of our posters here.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Agreed.

In this day and age there is no skill someone can't learn from the Internet.

I totally want you to be a surgeon.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
I totally want you to be a surgeon.
Your satyrical pops aren't unbeknownst to me.

We're talking business major, marketing majors, history majors, etc.

I think we can all agree that my above opinion doesn't include highly trained professionals in the medical or aerospace industries (like an astronaut).

Additionally, your effort in the wisecrack is something I'm sure transcends into your professional and personal life.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Graduated 2011. No job offer, I pissed on every internship opportunity because I wasn't gonna work for free- valued myself more than that, more than chasing a carrot that would never come to fruition while giving away free ideas and labor. Not a chance.

I digress. I graduated with a degree in Marketing with no work history or job offers. 2 weeks after graduation I was sitting on my parents couch (who were both unemployed at the time) and said, "fuuuu this. This town has zero opportunity and im gonna die on the vine here."

My great grandfather came to this country at 12 y/o alone from Sicily to New York. So, I would do the same.

3 days later with about 1K saved from working on campus, I was in my car driving to NYC. No job offer, no place to stay. Just my car and clothing.

Got in, stayed at a hotel, had a basement rented the next day. 2 weeks later I skirted past security into "a huge corporation's" headquarters and bumped into the head diesel. After telling him my story, I was hired.

Lived/worked there for 6 months. Then got laid off. Lived like a bum and stuffed the mattress. Then I moved again to another state on the same terms. No job or place to live.

Did that for 6 months then quit.

Came back and started a business. Life is good. Now I have been in business for a year and have my product in markets all over the country.

Would I recommend doing what I did? No. It takes a special somebody, A LOT of luck and a prayer. I consider myself very fortunate and also realize 9,999 out of 10,000 people would fail in the same scenario.

For me though, there was no choice.
Congrats. That's exactly what it takes to succeed today. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the people who brought your family here -- I've used the same mentality.

Lots of pounding pavement and pounding on doors. It takes great risk to get great reward.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
really? have you tried teach for america? i took praxis 1 and failed but my cousin passed all the parts and is a teacher now ..at my moms school there are people all over the country with no education in education (lol) and have jobs, they are in teach for america, using it to pay off they debt until they can do what they want
I'm not sure about Teach for America but a program I was in (very similar) did NOT allow education majors to join and had to have taken 12 credits or less in anything related to education. Additionally, TFA and other programs try to bring on people from Ivy Leagues, great GPAs in difficult subjects, etc. to make themselves look good. Depending on where you live or where you're trying to teach, TFA/Teaching Fellows/etc. are insanely selective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
redroses, have you considered getting certified in your state to teach special education? my dad taught high school accounting for 30 years, retired from that.... and then moved to a new state. had to take a couple of classes to be certified in special ed and did that for 10 years....
They basically recommend everyone dual major with special education in order to have a better shot at getting a job.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
I'm in a bit different of a boat. I dropped out of traditional university to attend a technical school (which was awesome), but I made the mistake of choosing too niche a field. I haven't been able to find a full-time job since I've been out, but at least have been fortunate enough to work full-time contract positions or do small freelancing during the time.

I got to say though, we have this broken education system... everyone goes and gets their 4-6 year degree paying the school tens of thousands of dollars. Hell I have some friends that owe over 120k for 4 years of school. You finally graduate, and what happens, no one will hire you. So here's the craziest thing now... what's the first thing these people do? GO BACK TO SCHOOL TO PAY FOR EVEN MORE EDUCATION, the same stuff that landed them jobless in the first place....

It's really a shame we have such a terrible higher education system on top of a poor job economy.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
I graduated in 2010 with a B.S. in Business Administration (Human Resources Focus) and a minor in Psychology. I went straight to grad school right after college. It took me a couple of months to find work but I eventually found a great job as a Recruiting Coordinator for a great healthcare nonprofit. So don't give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search