Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:21 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times

Advertisements

If every place you ever worked you had to answer to a boss with a high school diploma or GED would you be considered underemployed if you had a bachelor's or masters degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For what it's worth, one of my old HS friends works at Arby's, making roast beef sandwich with his business management degree. I asked him, how are you going to get a job managing people when you've never had a job? He told me that I don't know anything about how the world works today. That was about 2 years ago. Guess he had to learn the hard way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Graduated May 2012 with a bachelor's in business management. I was unemployed a year and three months (had chances with Vector Marketing but I didn't have a network to make the job work and a health insurance company but failed the insurance test (and then the region had issue so I would have been jobless ANYWAY.) I finally stated work last month and do cashier at a gas station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Graduated in business (BS & MS) from two top universities and struggled for close to two years; multiple unpaid or minimum wage internships and plain old unemployment. It took a ton of fighting, "networking," and banging down doors that weren't even doors but concrete walls to get a decent job. By then, the task of interviewing was made all the more difficult by having to explain all the under/unemployment. Really fun! It's not easy, but it's worth it to finally get a paper asking for your signature by the X.
Wow, amazing how they are all business degrees, and I thought I had it bad by majoring in Liberal Arts...

Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If every place you ever worked you had to answer to a boss with a high school diploma or GED would you be considered underemployed if you had a bachelor's or masters degree?
no, it means they were smarter going to college doesn't make someone "smart" by the time they graduate, rather a smart person would go to college to use it as a resource instead

Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 PM

537 posts, read 597,951 times
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science many years ago. I could not find a job to save my life. Eventually I just started doing my own projects and learning skills on my own, and I built up enough of a portfolio to land my first real job. After a couple of years of experience it's now incredibly easy for me to get a job almost anywhere.

I actually kind of regret even bothering with college. Not a single company I've worked for requires it. My colleagues who started in the industry right out of high school make a lot more than I do since they started in the industry much younger than I did, plus they didn't have to accumulate any student loans. And there's nothing I learned in college in my CS classes that I couldn't have easily learned myself. Most of what I had to learn for my career I ended up having to learn on my own after I graduated anyway. I imagine it's even easier these days to learn things on your own things to all the online learning resources out there.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
Quote:
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science many years ago. I could not find a job to save my life.
Welcome to Obamas economy, it hasn't changed. Going to college to get a BS degree is still a smart way to go. They do teach a variety of languages and concepts that you can use. The problem is that few people enjoy programming or are good at it.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:24 AM

15 posts, read 10,557 times
How is it Obama economy when chances is this person experience happened before Obama. If anything were living in Bush's residue.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 AM

15 posts, read 10,557 times
But anyway, I am a history major, graduated in December. I have been looking for a job since July to no avail. Even with administrative experience listed on my resume, employers are refusing to give me any interviews or a job

Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,732 times
Graduated with a BA in finance last December, job offer from a Fed Agency that same month and very recently a job offer from a LE Agency in the DC area which I'm going to accept. I'm quite lucky that my military background has helped significantly with going through the civil service process, and even then I've had more than a few rejections/or situations where my application disappeared into a black hole.

I didn't do a single internship in college either and I only worked part time at the campus admissions office the entire time I went through school. Needless to say, I feel very fortunate and lucky to land these jobs so soon after graduating.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Philly View Post
But anyway, I am a history major, graduated in December. I have been looking for a job since July to no avail. Even with administrative experience listed on my resume, employers are refusing to give me any interviews or a job
Sadly the best advice I can give is keep applying. Assuming you do know anyone internally to pass along your resume, you just hve to keep applying, keep trying. Indeed, linkedin, dice.com etc...

However be wary of how long you are unemployed, there comes a point where it becomes noticeable to potential employers and you will be asked about it.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
My family immigrated to the US dirt poor. There are 5 of us kids. My parents worked night and day to put us through college, but that wasn't enough so my oldest sister made a sacrifice and stopped taking classes in college and worked in the assembly line to help out.

She started in the assembly line as a worker. Became a technician after a few years. Then started working in the engineering department. That company manufactures electronic components like microchips. She is now the head engineer of the design team in her branch of a multi-national company. And she still has no college degree.

She tells me that every once in a while she gets a new hire that looks down on her because they got a college degree and she doesn't. One guy even went as far as not ever recognizing that she was his boss, which she was. She eventually had to let him go, which HR agreed.

I don't know why college graduates these days feel so entitled. Just because you got a college degree doesn't mean you're better than those who came before you that didn't get a chance to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search