Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 18,589 times

Advertisements

I had an interview with a phone company that are hiring for D2D account representatives. When I first applied I was under the impression I would would at an office trying to gain leads and cold calling but I learned a majority of work would be done out in the field i.e. walking from house to house and trying to sell package deals on the latest internet speeds and TV and the hours would be well into the evening, around 9 p.m. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing d2d sales and how successful or unsuccessful they were in their endeavors or should I just run and not look back? I've never been fond of solicitors, and now it seems I am in a position to do the very thing I despise.

I have a 2nd interview today that entails job shadowing but I haven't made up my mind as to whether this will be right for me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,985 times
I have done some door to door sales, it takes a special type of person to handle the rejection you will face, and you will have to learn to talk fast. I personally spent a long time in sales and was pretty successful at it, but due to being a really big guy and not a fast taker I had a hard time getting someone to even open a door and then getting them to listen to me was really bad. I did not last long trying to do it door to door.

I will say this, I do have some friends that have done really well in sales or business development jobs, that started their careers as door to door sales people, often they go to the front of the interview list for any of those job types as sales managers know that if you can survive in that kind of sales for any length of time than you can handle picking up the phone or meeting with clients.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I have done some door to door sales, it takes a special type of person to handle the rejection you will face, and you will have to learn to talk fast. I personally spent a long time in sales and was pretty successful at it, but due to being a really big guy and not a fast taker I had a hard time getting someone to even open a door and then getting them to listen to me was really bad. I did not last long trying to do it door to door.

I will say this, I do have some friends that have done really well in sales or business development jobs, that started their careers as door to door sales people, often they go to the front of the interview list for any of those job types as sales managers know that if you can survive in that kind of sales for any length of time than you can handle picking up the phone or meeting with clients.
Thanks for the reply, jwiley. I don't mind the consulting part; in fact that is probably what I enjoy most of all having some experience in retail sales... but I am honest with myself and know I am not the best sales person. As you probably know the hours are long ~60hrs a week, all commission based, and the work is done in rain or shine. How did you deal with that aspect of the job? Were you invited into homes to sell packages or finish the transaction directly at the door? And were you alone or did you have a a partner when going out to sell? Going out alone at night to push a product is a bit worrisome to me.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
There are a couple of people that I know who tried this kind of work, both quit after a few weeks. It was not the weather, being alone in the dark, or the pay. It was having to endure being shouted at, door being closed in your face, and feeling like you are always intruding on people trying to enjoy a quiet evening with their family. There has to be something better out there for you.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are a couple of people that I know who tried this kind of work, both quit after a few weeks. It was not the weather, being alone in the dark, or the pay. It was having to endure being shouted at, door being closed in your face, and feeling like you are always intruding on people trying to enjoy a quiet evening with their family. There has to be something better out there for you.

Thank you, Hemlock. That is exactly what I am picturing even though HR is spinning it to be something fanciful. While I understand the importance of having a thick skin and the invaluable lessons that can be learned through d2d interactions, I am not in a place where I can *hope* to make money that week. No fixed income. I do think I may have to just keep looking.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
An old colleague and friend of mine worked at Comcast for years, selling into business accounts. He mentioned that the turnover for residential representatives was very high: they would typically last 3-5 months, for reasons mentioned above.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
An old colleague and friend of mine worked at Comcast for years, selling into business accounts. He mentioned that the turnover for residential representatives was very high: they would typically last 3-5 months, for reasons mentioned above.
Business and residential accounts are a big difference, I can see why you pointed that out. Did he start out residential and transition into B2B? I would imagine the turnover rate to be very high for residential. And I can't think of anyone I know who has been successful doing any sort of d2d sales for a prolonged period of time. Thank you for the reply.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
No, my friend was always a business sales account manager (AT&T, Comcast and now at Charter).
He mentioned that some folks start in residential to get some "OJT" then move on into the business side, where it is generally more lucrative and you are dealing with less of a random approach to generating and cultivating leads (less door knocking, but more professional networking, having an available inside sales manager help with lead generation, etc)

I am not trying to dissuade you, just want you to know the other side of the position, which your employer likely won't tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangalg1 View Post
Business and residential accounts are a big difference, I can see why you pointed that out. Did he start out residential and transition into B2B? I would imagine the turnover rate to be very high for residential. And I can't think of anyone I know who has been successful doing any sort of d2d sales for a prolonged period of time. Thank you for the reply.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
A LOT of rejection that you will have to handle, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are doing bad. Just gotta focus on all the YES, as few and far between they are.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
A LOT of rejection that you will have to handle, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are doing bad. Just gotta focus on all the YES, as few and far between they are.

Yep. I sold Kirby vacuum cleaners D2D one summer back in 1984. I spent all my commissions on gas and food. That was a wasted summer. The only thing I got out of it which was a positive was to get good at presentations and speaking in public. Not many people will spend $1300 for a vacuum cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search