Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

None of this is true ^^^.

My Fortune 100 company (well, Fortune 10, actually)...ROUTINELY does background checks that can take longer and extend into your training time. They always start you in training and advise you that if anything comes up you will be dismissed.

Of course you should start but discuss it further first. Unless you have something that would disqualify you in your background then wait.

Even conditional discharges need to be disclosed at my company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,481 times
I've always given notice when accepting the offer and never had a problem except one for my credit because I had filed bankruptcy after a divorce years ago. They asked me about it and I satisfied their curiosity and was hired. My last position had a federal contract with the Department of Education and the background check and clearance took 4 months. I had no issues with that either, in fact my clearance is good for another two years. Had a final interview for a job yesterday and keeping my fingers crossed, it's a really, really good opportunity.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Yep. Wait for it to clear (should be 5 days max), then give a shorter notice period.
This is what I would do. 2 weeks notice is customary and polite, but its not required. Make sure you are good to go at your new job first.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
That's a difficult question to answer. If you turn in your notice now, what if something comes back on your background check that causes the new employer to rescind the offer? Can you rescind the two week notice? That's why I feel background checks should be completed on a candidate before an offer is made. You might find yourself without a job at all.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM

618 posts, read 938,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
That's a difficult question to answer. If you turn in your notice now, what if something comes back on your background check that causes the new employer to rescind the offer? Can you rescind the two week notice? That's why I feel background checks should be completed on a candidate before an offer is made. You might find yourself without a job at all.

In my opinion, what if a bad reference comes up? Who knows. My wife gave her 2 weeks before the background check but she was really desperate to get out of her hell hole job. Are they pressuring you to start right away or they pretty laid back about it despite the initial start date?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
If your current employer wanted to fire you they wouldn't give you 2 weeks notice. You have no legal obligation to give notice unless you are under contract.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
If your current employer wanted to fire you they wouldn't give you 2 weeks notice. You have no legal obligation to give notice unless you are under contract.
I disagree with this. Don't burn bridges. You never know when you may need to reach out to this employer again for a job. You want to make sure you leave on good terms if you want a chance to be rehired there. I found this out the hard way. I left a company without notice to go to another company and now, because I didn't give a notice, I am ineligible for rehire with them.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My husband was in this exact situation recently. He told the new company he needed to give two week notice after they were done with the background check and they told him that was fine, but after the background check came back, they called him and said that two week notice was really just a courtesy and not anything required by law and that they'd prefer for him to start a week sooner than he was planning on, so he could be trained at the same time as the other new hires. So he ended up only giving a week's notice at his old job, which wouldn't keep him from being rehired there, but he's not planning to ever go back anyhow.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM

618 posts, read 938,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband was in this exact situation recently. He told the new company he needed to give two week notice after they were done with the background check and they told him that was fine, but after the background check came back, they called him and said that two week notice was really just a courtesy and not anything required by law and that they'd prefer for him to start a week sooner than he was planning on, so he could be trained at the same time as the other new hires. So he ended up only giving a week's notice at his old job, which wouldn't keep him from being rehired there, but he's not planning to ever go back anyhow.
I'm surprised companies do this. It would make me nervous that they would tell me not to give a 2 weeks notice to my current employer.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Agreed. 2 weeks is a minimum. I'd tell the new company (and I've done this) that I am going to extend the same courtesy to the company I'm leaving as to the one I'm joining if I ever leave. Always leave with class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search