Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Employers have always had the right to terminate employment during the probational period for any reason. I don't see how hiring employees for the short term is any benefit to a company. By the time you put the effort into training that employee, you have to turn around and train his/her replacement. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Its cheaper to hire someone temporarily and let them go before benefits kick in. Do you have any idea what it costs the employer to provide benefits?Keep cycling new groups of eager new-hires, then drop them before they qualify for benefits, keeps the labor pool cheap. OP, don't think it had anything to do with you, you just got screwed-over, it happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its cheaper to hire someone temporarily and let them go before benefits kick in. Do you have any idea what it costs the employer to provide benefits?Keep cycling new groups of eager new-hires, then drop them before they qualify for benefits, keeps the labor pool cheap. OP, don't think it had anything to do with you, you just got screwed-over, it happens!
Certainly you could do that, but it makes no sense.

Since benefits are not mandated by law, why not simply stop offering benefits? That way you get to hire people and let them develop some experience and expertise.

Occam's Razor indicates that the OP was legitimately released for poor performance.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Certainly you could do that, but it makes no sense.

Since benefits are not mandated by law, why not simply stop offering benefits? That way you get to hire people and let them develop some experience and expertise.

Occam's Razor indicates that the OP was legitimately released for poor performance.
Um yeah, I was "let go because of 'performance.'" However it is interesting now that two straight employees were hired and fired within two months. That shows a bit of coincidence that perhaps myself and the previous employee's reasoning to be cut may be more than it seems from the simple answer.

I know it will take a good reason for me to give money to this gas station company (even if the management group that I worked for don't own the station.)

FYI use simpler language. If people have to google search what something means, it is a rare term (refering to Occam's Razor.)

Old 09-28-2013, 01:29 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I wish my company would fire people who are a bad fit during their probationary period.

Instead, management ignores these problems and then we get stuck dealing with sucky co-workers every day, praying daily that they will just quit. Thankfully, the last two who fit that profile did end up quitting.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I wish my company would fire people who are a bad fit during their probationary period.

Instead, management ignores these problems and then we get stuck dealing with sucky co-workers every day, praying daily that they will just quit. Thankfully, the last two who fit that profile did end up quitting.
Have you ever had one of those new employees who's acting cranky every time the boss walks out of the room and all chipper when he walks back in? And who's such an obvious bad-fit that all the old employees are trading "Uh-oh!" looks by the end of the first day, like this ->
Yeah, those employees need to be fired faster.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Have you ever had one of those new employees who's acting cranky every time the boss walks out of the room and all chipper when he walks back in? And who's such an obvious bad-fit that all the old employees are trading "Uh-oh!" looks by the end of the first day, like this ->
Yeah, those employees need to be fired faster.
The issues I am thinking of with these two recent ones who quit were deeper personality problems than being either chipper or cranky, but in each case, they did put on a good front to the boss.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Um yeah, I was "let go because of 'performance.'" However it is interesting now that two straight employees were hired and fired within two months. That shows a bit of coincidence that perhaps myself and the previous employee's reasoning to be cut may be more than it seems from the simple answer.

I know it will take a good reason for me to give money to this gas station company (even if the management group that I worked for don't own the station.)

FYI use simpler language. If people have to google search what something means, it is a rare term (refering to Occam's Razor.)
No offense was intended. It does sound as if your supervisor dropped the ball on training, and the fact that they did it several times in a row indicates a certain level of incompetence. So the fact that your performance was substandard is more their responsibility than yours. The end result is the same however. You were let go for inadequate performance.

My point also remains. It does not benefit the company to offer benefits if the only result is a constant churn of new hires as a result. Hiring and training is costly in several different ways. If they do not want to pay for benefits, it is simply cheaper and easier to take them off the table, hire and retain somebody for straight hourly pay. There is no reason to come up with elaborate reasons to explain their actions when simpler motives suffice.

Occam's Razor is a fairly well known reference to a logical concept. It should be part of anyone's vocabulary, and I offer no apologies for using it.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No offense was intended. It does sound as if your supervisor dropped the ball on training, and the fact that they did it several times in a row indicates a certain level of incompetence. So the fact that your performance was substandard is more their responsibility than yours. The end result is the same however. You were let go for inadequate performance.

My point also remains. It does not benefit the company to offer benefits if the only result is a constant churn of new hires as a result. Hiring and training is costly in several different ways. If they do not want to pay for benefits, it is simply cheaper and easier to take them off the table, hire and retain somebody for straight hourly pay. There is no reason to come up with elaborate reasons to explain their actions when simpler motives suffice.

Occam's Razor is a fairly well known reference to a logical concept. It should be part of anyone's vocabulary, and I offer no apologies for using it.
I agree on the wages deal. Most benefits aren't even on the table til later on after the probationary period. The medical plan (which I looked into and it sucked) didn't kick in for another month along with dental as well as 401K after one year. I was still a month on these ad for medical I was working just under 30 so I wouldn't count. It does little to customers to deal with new people every two months because they can't find a purple squirrel who has the speed of the Flash to do their daily shift tasks and also help customers at the same time like Multiple Man (sorry for the comic book references here.) Let me tell you, it's not as easy as some would think. plus it didn't help with pumping propane that I wasn't physically shown, I was just demoed it. I'm sorry, not everyone can just watch someone do something and learn it. Because of that, I wasn't good at it off the bat but I did get better after actually having someone watch over my shoulders (I admit, the trainer that I have been ragging on actually did train that well.)

I never heard of Occam's Razor in my 26 years of life. Maybe I am sheltered or it is just not a widely used as some would think. I am just saying if I need to Google a phrase and I know a good number through my 26 years, it may not be as well known.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
First off, sorry to hear about the job loss. Have no fear, Hallmark has a card for you

New normal? Nah, some sleezy companies pull off that trick simply so they don't have to pay bennies. That's been going on for ages. Just like how many companies rely heavily on temp labor, for the same reason.

Having said that, I do believe the standards are a bit higher today. There are many employers who think they should be able to find a super worker with today's economy and higher than normal unemployment. They will hire and fire until they find that perfect worker, or the economy improves.

Maybe they can find someone with more experience? I mean, if you weren't performing to the level of an experienced candidate, that may explain why they wanted to cut their losses. Anyways, now that you have more experience, maybe you can use that to your advantage. You never know what doors may open unless you take a look.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:03 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As many of you know, I have been saying I had a job since the beginning of August. yesterday, I found out I was terminated with a pink slip. The notice lists "fired: inability - not qualified" as the reason with no explanation written just that I was "not picking things up" The position I got was for another person getting fired in a similar way. Hired for 40 days and released for "not picking things up." Just a month shy of benefits kicking in.

My question is, "Is this the new normal?" Companies hiring employees short-term and cutting them before benefits kick in. This happened with my brother a few years ago as well as one of my parents' friends' daughter and now myself (not with the same company.) I wonder if this is a current trend or if I am just making an excuse based on "personal experience."
Yes, in companies like Walmart and AMazon this is the standard operating procedure. They have decided that its to their benefit to have a very high churn/turnover rate for new hires. Part of it has to do with pay and benefits, and part of it has to do with the fact that new hires are more malleable employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search