Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,758 times

Advertisements

Is there a 'standard' amount of time to wait after an interview to start realizing you didn't get the job? I sent a thank you email the day after and made a follow up phone call a week after(got voice mail). I am bein too impatient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
No, that's about perfect. In the meantime, you keep interviewing. I cold call to get more work, and I know that getting a job is a numbers game. If I make a lot of phone calls and keep following up, eventually I'll get more freelance work. Recently I got three new freelance gigs. Two companies loved me. The third did not love me. Things bombed, and they dumped me. I cried in my oatmeal, sent them a big fat check for the work I did, and the next day, out of the blue, a new job came in.

Based on your post, it sounds like you need to keep sending out resumes and make more phone calls to other companies. You should not even be worried whether or not this company calls you back. If you put yourself out there enough times, someone will call you back. That's the attitude you want to have.

Greenie

Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I agree, your timing was good. I personally send a thank you card in the snailmail. It is a VISUAL reminder that you were there and truly exist! And might be the thing which sets you apart.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
I always ask when the interview gets to the "do you have any other questions" point about what the timeframe is for their decision- this way I'll already know when to emotionally give up on a job instead of merely guessing There could always be other considerations holding up a decision that you couldn't know about- decision-maker could be on vacation, sick, they could have more interviews scheduled, etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:28 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Your timing is fine. Some companies move slowly, and they are typically the ones that you don't want to work for anyway. In my last job search, I had 2 weeks of interviews, multiple offers, a week of negotiations, then accepted. A week later I get a call from one of the companies I had interviewed with (now a month ago) and they want to make an offer. You snooze, you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search