Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times

Advertisements

Although the recruiter was hoping to get back to me earlier in the week, the week went by and I still haven't heard anything.

Should I go ahead and send another quick follow up email, or should I leave it alone for now? Again, I certainly don't want to be a pest, but I am curious where we are in the process or if a decision has been made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Although the recruiter was hoping to get back to me earlier in the week, the week went by and I still haven't heard anything.

Should I go ahead and send another quick follow up email, or should I leave it alone for now? Again, I certainly don't want to be a pest, but I am curious where we are in the process or if a decision has been made.
Some recruiters only call you with positive news...you have an offer or the client wants to meet with you for another interview.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:

It's been 3 weeks now. You probably did not get the job. Follow up if you like, I doubt your email will make much difference one way or another.

Sorry about that, and I hope that I am wrong.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I had 3 different companies call me many months later after interviews that seemed to go well. All 3 were fortune 500 and all 3 had the jobs put on hold for budget reasons before someone was hired. One of the jobs contacted me for a final interview some 6 months. I was hired shortly after the final interview.

2 of the others contacted me many months later saying that I interviewed previously and the job was on hold and they were interested in talking with me because the job re-opened. For those 2 I already was in a new job so didn't continue discussions with them.

A 4th job(many years ago) I was the 2nd pick so didn't get the job. 3 months later I was contacted and told the original person didn't work out and I was the 2nd pick. I met the mgr for a quick interview and got the offer and took this job.

Bottom line, companies can be very slow in the hiring process. It's often high up corporate decision makers that slow down this process with hiring freezes, budget cuts and project delays, plus corporate mergers and company politics added to the mix.

I was a front runner for a position one time and I think they were a few days from making an offer. Everything seemed to be going perfect . Then one day I read in the newspaper about a sudden layoff there...it was that big that it made the newspaper.

I called the hiring manager for a follow-up and was told he got a sudden offer for early-retirement and he was cleaning out his office and that was his last day on the job. And the position (that I interviewed for ) was eliminated in that same round of budget cuts. No more job opening.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It's been 3 weeks now. You probably did not get the job. Follow up if you like, I doubt your email will make much difference one way or another.

Sorry about that, and I hope that I am wrong.
I'm afraid you may be right. I hope that I am wrong, too, so I'm trying not to give up hope yet. It's a job that I would really like to have.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Well, I finally got the email today. I didn't get the job. It's just discouraging, because I got so far in the process and felt that I was a strong candidate. In their email, they indicated that it was a difficult decision. I feel like I have to start the whole process over from scratch. I've had some phone interviews, but no other in-person interviews have been set up yet. Hopefully something will come through soon.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm just trying to stay positive as I know something will work out eventually!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,576 times
Quote:
Well, I finally got the email today. I didn't get the job. It's just discouraging, because I got so far in the process and felt that I was a strong candidate. In their email, they indicated that it was a difficult decision. I feel like I have to start the whole process over from scratch. I've had some phone interviews, but no other in-person interviews have been set up yet. Hopefully something will come through soon.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm just trying to stay positive as I know something will work out eventually!

Sorry to hear. Please hang in there and don't get discouraged. I know it is tough but there are more opportunities coming your way. Do not give up hope or stop applying, there is a job out there for you and you will get it.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
My rule of thumb is that after you send off your final thank you note, keep moving forward with your job search. There's no point waiting around for a job offer. The time is better used expanding your employment opportunities. It's all a numbers game these days.

Besides, keeping your mind focused and occupied via job hunting will save you a lot of agony that would result by sitting around thinking about whether or not you'll get a call. If you were diagnosed with cancer, would you sit around thinking about whether the chemo is working, or would you proceed with your life?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
My rule of thumb is that after you send off your final thank you note, keep moving forward with your job search. There's no point waiting around for a job offer. The time is better used expanding your employment opportunities. It's all a numbers game these days.

Besides, keeping your mind focused and occupied via job hunting will save you a lot of agony that would result by sitting around thinking about whether or not you'll get a call. If you were diagnosed with cancer, would you sit around thinking about whether the chemo is working, or would you proceed with your life?
I will admit that I got a little lazy in my job search after the second interview. I've been sending off lots of resumes, but I had such a good feeling that I would get the job that I probably didn't spend as much time in my search as I should have.

I'm definitely not giving up. I know something will work out and this time around, I'm not slacking off at all until I have a job offer in hand.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
I will admit that I got a little lazy in my job search after the second interview.
That is natural. And honestly I think sometimes people need a bit of "being lazy" in their job search if it is taking some time. Its hard to go full bore all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search