Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
While I understand the OP is unemployed, nothing about the post you quoted suggests he was referring ONLY to the unemployed.
Please re-read in context. The poster you quoted (manderly6) was referring to the OPs description of the participants of the group he referred to, which manderly6 had already quoted and which I re-quoted for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Please re-read in context. The poster you quoted (manderly6) was referring to the OPs description of the participants of the group he referred to, which manderly6 had already quoted and which I re-quoted for clarification.
I did, and stand by what I said. As someone who knows specifically the types of groups the OP is talking about, it is not only unemployed people who show up.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
Yes, I XXXup and are paying the price for it. Though my other two firings and layoffs were in the 1990s and with it being 2013, I doubt they would even check with those employers.

Where the employment counselor is helping me is to help me craft a response when a potential employer asked me why I was fired at my last employer and why my last supervisor won't act as a reference. Before using the counselor I would always sound angry and go on and on about how I was wronged and kill my chances for a new job.

Quote:
You didn't answer my question related to how this "professional outplacement firm" plans to address the issue of your having been fired several times during your career which I think is relevant to the discussion and would be of interest to others thinking of investing in similarly costly services.

You said, "I was either fired or laid off a number of times in my career. My boss and some idiot from personnel would come by my office and tell me to report to a conference room for a meeting. Arriving at the conference room I was told I was being terminated effective immediately and was given a box to clear out my things." The apparent frequency of such firings may be bad luck of the draw but obviously that's on your employment record and, setting aside your age, is something which is going to pop out very quickly. Which is why I wonder how a placement company suggests you account for it.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I did, and stand by what I said. As someone who knows specifically the types of groups the OP is talking about, it is not only unemployed people who show up.
So what? The poster was referring specifically to what the OP said specifically comprises the "elite group" the Career Coach in this particular "professional outplacement firm" provides access to.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 AM

265 posts, read 409,542 times
i had a mentor at one point. it didn't help me in the long rung, but i probably would have failed harder, faster, and without even a glimmer of hope like a had with a mentor. the point is i think a mentor is better than a 'prof job hunter' in certain cases. all the more so if that mentor has connections or contacts. i'd gotten one interview based solely on knowing said mentor at one point...and many more contacts to explore. i was wildly unqualified for the position, like ridiculously so, but still. but those job guru types/ advice givers are probably better at helping u lie or make up reasons people like to hear in interviews. that's one thing my mentor probably could have been stronger in.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
wow

I wish I can hire someone to job hunt for me. Job search has proven to be futile.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If an organization could provide all these services to you, would you use them and how much would you pay them?

Actors, musicians, professional public speakers, dancers, and business executives (who need effective communication skills) hire coaches to help them excel, why not job hunters going after $100k plus positions where the competition is fierce?

I guess I may, but headhunters I've worked with have provided some of these services to me for free. They get paid when they've placed me and they want to place me (duh), and for the companies they work with to be happy.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
i had a mentor at one point. it didn't help me in the long rung, but i probably would have failed harder, faster, and without even a glimmer of hope like a had with a mentor. the point is i think a mentor is better than a 'prof job hunter' in certain cases. all the more so if that mentor has connections or contacts. i'd gotten one interview based solely on knowing said mentor at one point...and many more contacts to explore. i was wildly unqualified for the position, like ridiculously so, but still. but those job guru types/ advice givers are probably better at helping u lie or make up reasons people like to hear in interviews. that's one thing my mentor probably could have been stronger in.
I have had a couple of mentors, but I do not consider it even close to the same thing as the original post. Your mentors will help guide you into avoiding mistakes in business dealings and even looking for a job, and they will help you with connections, but I have never had my mentors sit down with me to go over my resume, nor have I ever had them role play a job interview to help me learn to properly answer tough questions.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
. They get paid when they've placed me and they want to place me (duh), and for the companies they work with FOR THEM to be happy SO THEY CAN GET PAID.
You have it backwards.

It's called "contingent" and their motivation is to see you employed so they can get paid. They have a relationship with the company or no one would be speaking with them. They want to see you placed, so they can get paid, then they move on. It's business, I'm not saying it's all bad. Just saying that while I believe they will place you with employment they will believe will be successful, your "happiness" with the employment is secondary.

The alternative is "retainer". The employing company pays the placement company a fee to have them go out and find talent. This mostly happens at with higher end positions. Maybe Director, mostly above.

I learned this recently from a collegue who now works for a professional talent management company.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
So what? The poster was referring specifically to what the OP said specifically comprises the "elite group" the Career Coach in this particular "professional outplacement firm" provides access to.
We can agree to disagree. You clearly aren't getting the point I was trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search