Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times

Advertisements

I've received and taken a counter-offer not once, but twice at the same employer. However, it was given prior to my acceptance of the other position so I had not committed to the other job yet. It did not seem to impact my relationship with this particular employer. After all, it's business, it's not personal. Right, employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,534,880 times
Your current company will never trust you again.

Had you talked to them before you started looking, that would be a whole different story.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,142 times
Yes, I have talked to them in the past. I gave it almost a year (maybe 9-10 months), no change.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,536 times
The prevailing wisdom is that you should not accept a counter-offer from your current employer, for numerous reasons.

Fortunately, I did not come across this wisdom until after I accepted a counter-offer about 5 years ago. A larger company had set up an office in the area and was recruiting (poaching) employees from my company. They offered me about 20% more than I was making at the time.

I had pretty much decided to take the offer, but my manager asked me to at least consider a counter-offer. They offered me a few thousand more than the other place as well as opportunities to expand my skill-set.

Over the next 5 years there, my pay continued to increase as did my responsibilities. I also got to travel to a lot of nice places for business and made a lot of good contacts. About two years in, the other office closed down and the people who did jump ship were scrambling to find jobs - some even ended up back at my company.

So, your mileage may vary. A good manager will see it as just another part of doing business. Unfortunately not everyone has a good manager.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
The prevailing wisdom is that you should not accept a counter-offer from your current employer, for numerous reasons.

Fortunately, I did not come across this wisdom until after I accepted a counter-offer about 5 years ago. A larger company had set up an office in the area and was recruiting (poaching) employees from my company. They offered me about 20% more than I was making at the time.

I had pretty much decided to take the offer, but my manager asked me to at least consider a counter-offer. They offered me a few thousand more than the other place as well as opportunities to expand my skill-set.

Over the next 5 years there, my pay continued to increase as did my responsibilities. I also got to travel to a lot of nice places for business and made a lot of good contacts. About two years in, the other office closed down and the people who did jump ship were scrambling to find jobs - some even ended up back at my company.

So, your mileage may vary. A good manager will see it as just another part of doing business. Unfortunately not everyone has a good manager.
I agree with this. It isn't always bad to accept a couter offer and it can work out well for both parties.

To people who say to ask for a raise before looking, I understand your point but in my expereince it doesn't work well in reality. The fact that another company has said they will pay you more and has put that in writing (in the form of an offer) is evidence that is tough to argue with. Most employers aren't overly generous with compensation unless the alternative to paying you more will cost them even more (hiring someone new and training them).

If I was otherwise happy at my job and money was the only issue I personally would not hesitate to accept a counter offer. But, then again, that's me.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,142 times
There are people who have worked here and have been hired back. Nobody was treated differently. Management is of the philosophy "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". It really is a decent company here and I have no complaints other than that of my job title.

Having said that, I did just receive a verbal offer, to which the potential employer said "Take the weekend to think about it". So from that standpoint, I haven't officially accepted anything.

I am interested in speaking to my manager, but am wondering how to broach the subject. What I want to say (but for obvious reasons won't say in this manner is) "I have just received a verbal offer with XYZ for a position of "Senior abc". I did not seek the job, the job sought me. I really don't want to leave company ABC but this is a position and salary that I am looking for". In other words, what agreement can we make that is mutually beneficial?

Again, I'm not going to use those words, that's the gist of what I want to say.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,543,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
There are people who have worked here and have been hired back. Nobody was treated differently. Management is of the philosophy "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". It really is a decent company here and I have no complaints other than that of my job title.

Having said that, I did just receive a verbal offer, to which the potential employer said "Take the weekend to think about it". So from that standpoint, I haven't officially accepted anything.

I am interested in speaking to my manager, but am wondering how to broach the subject. What I want to say (but for obvious reasons won't say in this manner is) "I have just received a verbal offer with XYZ for a position of "Senior abc". I did not seek the job, the job sought me. I really don't want to leave company ABC but this is a position and salary that I am looking for". In other words, what agreement can we make that is mutually beneficial?

I would've suggested that's how you put it actually. Its direct and blunt, but respectful, non aggressive, and genuine.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post

I think you have the right approach. Talk to them now, if you can. I certainly wouldn't accept another offer before talking to them unless you have zero intention of accepting any counter offer they present. If you may take a counter offer than listen to what they have to say before telling the other company either way.

Congrats.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
I have also heard the nightmare scenario where a person accepted the counteroffer, the company quietly began searching for a replacement then laid off the person a few months later after they found the replacement.
Counteroffers enable bad behavior by employers.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,253 times
you take counter offer only if your new position to stay in that company is very high. Like Senor manager, executive, president, CEO, CIO, CFO. Don't take a counter offer for more money, but the same position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search