Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Last week I was asked in for a second interview after an initial phone interview done by HR. The second interview was with the woman who would be my boss if I were to be hired. At the end of the interview I was told that she was going to make her final decision by Monday at the latest. Monday went by, and I didn't hear anything. On Tuesday I missed a call from the woman in HR who did my initial interview. She left a message asking if I could call her back in regards to the job I interviewed for. I called back within 15 minutes, but it went straight to voice mail (I left a message). Tuesday goes by, and I don't get a phone call back. I called again this morning, got her voice mail again, and left a basic message saying how I wasn't sure if she got my message yesterday and was returning her call. I still have not heard back.

Since I am unable to get a hold of the woman in HR, would it be considered unprofessional to email the second woman who interviewed me (the one who was going to be my boss, and making the final decision) and just say something like "So and so from HR called my yesterday to update me on the hiring situation. I unfortunately missed her call, and haven't been able to get ahold of her. I was wondering if a decision has made in terms of (position I interviewed for). Thanks for any information..."

I have another job offer, that I have to give an answer to tomorrow morning at 10. That job pays less, I don't like the work hours (evening and weekends as oppose to 9-5 mon-fri) and isn't really what I want to be doing. I don't want to accept that job offer only to finally get a call back from HR offering me the job I really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I don't think you should be calling the Hiring Manager simply because you're playing phone tag with the HR rep.
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but, IME, the HR rep is calling to tell you you didn't get the job. To hedge your bet, accept the other job offer but push the start date a week or two out in case this company offers you this job.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM

211 posts, read 529,143 times
I'd recommend the same thing as jaypee. Just accept and push the start date back about a week, and then if the first company calls, just decline the first offer.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Did you contact the future boss with a thank you of some kind?

I would do that first if you haven't. It will gig her and maybe they will contact you.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
I don't think the HR rep would call just to say you did not get a job. I've never had a job call me for rejection, does that actually happen? They usually email you the standard rejection email. Why are you missing all these calls from the HR person? Have your phone next to you during business hours and pick up when she calls, she already called you twice and you missed the calls both times, i would follow up with an email to the HR person and tell them that you are following up on her call and have called her back but did not hear back.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Did you contact the future boss with a thank you of some kind?

I would do that first if you haven't. It will gig her and maybe they will contact you.
Yes, I sent her a thank you email when I got home from the interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I don't think the HR rep would call just to say you did not get a job. I've never had a job call me for rejection, does that actually happen? They usually email you the standard rejection email. Why are you missing all these calls from the HR person? Have your phone next to you during business hours and pick up when she calls, she already called you twice and you missed the calls both times, i would follow up with an email to the HR person and tell them that you are following up on her call and have called her back but did not hear back.
All these calls!? I missed one call. They said they would call Friday, Monday at the latest if I was selected for the position. I wasn't expecting a phone call at 2pm on Tuesday. If you must know I missed the call because I was in the bathroom. I don't take my phone with me to the bathroom to pee. I called HR back within 15 minutes of missing the phone call, and my phone hasn't left my side since.

I've also never had a job call me for a rejection, so thats why I was curious about checking in with the HM. I felt like if they were calling to reject me, they would have just said it in the voice mail instead of asking me to call back in regards to the job. It just seems cruel, like you are giving the person hope that they actually got the job. When in reality I feel like it was probably just a rejection phone call. Otherwise, why wouldn't they call back?

I asked some friends for advice, and they also had never heard of getting rejection phone call. They thought I should continue calling each day to get a definitive answer. I didn't think that was a good idea. I feel like I would come off as a crazy person, and that would just hurt any future chance I have of working for this company. If they wanted to offer me a job, they would have called me back.

I went ahead and accepted the other job offer. I'm sure I'll feel better about this job in a few days. I'm happy to have found work, and it is something I'll enjoy. I just can't help but feel a little sad about everything since I really liked this other job. I got excited thinking that they had called with a job offer.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 AM

416 posts, read 871,206 times
I've had people do this. I refer them back to the HR/Corporate Recruiter they're working with.

My company does not allow the hiring manager to communicate anything about the selection until HR/Corporate Recruiting officially reaches out and conveys an offer, and the candidate accepts.

I've had people who continue to bug me, even after explaining that. Generally, they aren't the ones I've selected to hire, anyway, but there have been a few cases where I've rescinded my selection and told HR/Corporate Recruiting to start over with new candidates.

If you're that much of a pest before you're hired, I don't want to see how much of a pest you are once you have your foot in the door.

(Yeah, I'm kind of a heartless jerk, but alas.)

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I sent her a thank you email when I got home from the interview.

All these calls!? I missed one call. They said they would call Friday, Monday at the latest if I was selected for the position. I wasn't expecting a phone call at 2pm on Tuesday. If you must know I missed the call because I was in the bathroom. I don't take my phone with me to the bathroom to pee. I called HR back within 15 minutes of missing the phone call, and my phone hasn't left my side since.

I've also never had a job call me for a rejection, so thats why I was curious about checking in with the HM. I felt like if they were calling to reject me, they would have just said it in the voice mail instead of asking me to call back in regards to the job. It just seems cruel, like you are giving the person hope that they actually got the job. When in reality I feel like it was probably just a rejection phone call. Otherwise, why wouldn't they call back?

I asked some friends for advice, and they also had never heard of getting rejection phone call. They thought I should continue calling each day to get a definitive answer. I didn't think that was a good idea. I feel like I would come off as a crazy person, and that would just hurt any future chance I have of working for this company. If they wanted to offer me a job, they would have called me back.

I went ahead and accepted the other job offer. I'm sure I'll feel better about this job in a few days. I'm happy to have found work, and it is something I'll enjoy. I just can't help but feel a little sad about everything since I really liked this other job. I got excited thinking that they had called with a job offer.
Sorry, I thought she called twice and you missed the calls both times. I seriously think you got the job or they needed more info to do some background check, ref.check or something. HR usually just sends an email if it is a rejection, they won't bother calling you, too many candidates to call to reject them. Do you have the person's email? Could you email her? In any case, if they call you later and offer you the job and that is really what you wanna do and works better with your career aspirations, you can always quit the other job! Just because you said yes, doesn't mean you have to keep working there if you have a better opportunity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search