Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM

12 posts, read 67,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's at AA? Do you mean an Associates of Arts degree? In which area?
No specific area, though I did take math and science classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnskilledWorker View Post
No specific area, though I did take math and science classes.
If you have any degree, you're one step ahead. What kind of work would you like to do long term? Find companies that offer those types of jobs and see what type of entry level/clerical jobs they may have open.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I'm a 19 year old that is looking for a job.
filling out online applications for a while now, but that strategy isn't really working well
I intend to target restaurants at first (preferably a position as a dishwasher/busser)
Why does everyone, and especially at these lower levels, believe they even need a resume?
About the only thing worse to waste time on are the online applications.

As to advertised jobs... forget them too.
A "help wanted" advertisement is an admission of failure.

Want a job? Go in person and talk about it.
They churn though 30 low level people a year. Maybe more.
Get in front of the decision maker there and them give them a reason to try you.

Don't let the gatekeeper even give you an application...
"I'll be happy to fill out anything you like if I'm hired"

Rinse and repeat.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you have any degree, you're one step ahead. What kind of work would you like to do long term? Find companies that offer those types of jobs and see what type of entry level/clerical jobs they may have open.
I haven't settled that matter yet...

However...

I like doing both research and teaching people things, or at least people older than 16. So probably a professor of some sort. I just don't know what field, which is another reason why I want some time before going to university again. That said, I always liked helping in the kitchen, which is why I wish to give the food business a try.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why does everyone, and especially at these lower levels, believe they even need a resume?
About the only thing worse to waste time on are the online applications.

As to advertised jobs... forget them too.
A "help wanted" advertisement is an admission of failure.

Want a job? Go in person and talk about it.
They churn though 30 low level people a year. Maybe more.
Get in front of the decision maker there and them give them a reason to try you.

Don't let the gatekeeper even give you an application...
"I'll be happy to fill out anything you like if I'm hired"

Rinse and repeat.
Do I ask if there are available positions or what?

I am happy to work any hours and I wish to work for the long term. I will be happy to take any job available and start on the same day. I haven't done any door to door job searching, so I am not familiar with doing such thing. I do have a resume showing knowledge of basic dishwasher skills, but that's about it. I thought, I'd walk in, talk to the manager, drop off the resume and fill the application...

Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Do I ask if there are available positions or what?
At the lower level there is ALWAYS room for someone worth having around.

You're asking them to try you out... "work me into the rotation".
So they put you on for a couple of shifts and see how you do.
If you're worth having around they'll soon give you more hours.

Quote:
I am happy to work any hours... any job available and start on the same day.
That's it. Just as good at the restaurant as the hardware store 5 doors away.

The only paperwork you need is something to hand them with your name/phone/email.
The less adult/professional the better.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM

211 posts, read 529,315 times
Do you have any volunteer experience or any internships? Any extracurriculars you did? Any side-projects that you've worked on that's relevant?

If you're looking for work at a restaurant, walk in and ask if there are any open positions available. A resume would be nice, but I don't recall being asked for a resume when applying for jobs like dishwasher and waiter.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree that walking in and asking can be effective, if you happen to be there the day after someone quit and they need help right away. Otherwise, even in entry level restaurant and retail, once they announce an opening they are likely to get plenty of experienced applicants and it will be harder to compete. Companies are not as willing to train someone from scratch if they don't have to.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree that walking in and asking can be effective, if you happen to be there the day after someone quit and they need help right away. Otherwise, even in entry level restaurant and retail, once they announce an opening they are likely to get plenty of experienced applicants and it will be harder to compete. Companies are not as willing to train someone from scratch if they don't have to.
What's a good source for inexperienced employment then? Some people say I should not be having problems getting an entry level job...

Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Just keep trying. Everyone has to start somewhere. Apply wherever you can and be persistent until you find something.

On the side, I'm a little amazed that so many people--even older than this OP--say they've never held a job. Not even in high school? What about babysitting, odd jobs, etc.? How does this happen? Why aren't the parents of these kids prodding their children to learn to earn money?

I was babysitting at 12 and did birthday parties and what not until I was old enough to work in a store. My sister had a paper route (not really an option anymore). My brother raked leaves and shoveled snow and cleaned up on construction sites. My own daughter was cleaning stables at 13 to help pay for her riding lessons and then got a real job at 16 when she was old enough for working papers. I don't understand how a kid gets through high school without ever having had a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search