Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
I'm glad you came to your senses. Still WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU GO THERE! It's "wording" in an "add". If you are still interested, get over it and apply AND then be sure to show why YOU are the candidate.

My guess is that "young" means that they do not want to pay well. Just like "overqualified" can often mean that they think you will want too much money or will jump ship with the next good offer.

If I were a great candidate in most every other aspect, and really thought the job was a great fit, I certainly wouldn't let one word in an ad get in the way. Self-defeating attitudes will get you nowhere.

P.S. I am an over 40 job seeker as well.

Of course I applied (I mentioned this in the post). The compensation is stated in the ad - it's decent pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Of course I applied (I mentioned this in the post). The compensation is mentioned in the ad - it's decent pay.
Yes, thanks, you did mention that. I feel for you, it's not easy out there. We have to be our own best friend and tout our value to prospective employers. Goodness knows that there are force working against us. I refuse to succumb. I just had a great interview and am thinking (hoping) I have a good shot at getting an offer. I wish you the very best!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Thank you - I hope you get the offer.

I may be a little sensitive to this type of thing. My father was laid off when I was 13, and he never actually found another real job, even though he was educated in a technical field. He worked here and there where he could find it, but this really changed our lives. He was older than I am now - in his mid 50s.

Edit - I just got an e-mail saying that the position was filled. A response at least.

Last edited by yodel; 11-01-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search