Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this book called "Knock em Dead" and the guy who wrote it basically says to ask for the face to face interview at the end of the phone interview... Is this too forward? The position is just a part time/hourly position...

After reading all the stuff about HR and black listing on this website, it's safe to say I'm feeling extra worried. I keep wondering if there's a secret reason behind why I'm not finding jobs. My last HR manager at a retail department store (similar to jcpenney) didn't like me very much, or anyone for that matter, she just kind of had this bitter and resentful personality and would talk trash about me and other associates even though I worked there for over 2 years. And the only manager at the store who really respected me left because it was such a bad work environment and she actually wouldn't even tell ANYONE where she was going (so there's no way for me to kinda reach out to her and ask for guidance OR for a reference). We didn't even find out she was leaving until 5 days before her last day, she didn't give anyone a way to contact her at all.

My nerves are getting the best of me. I'm trying to get some really good basic work experience and save up money because my best friend and I want to move to a bigger metro area and try to find jobs there.

Any tips or suggestions would help out a lot. Especially whether or not to ask for the face to face interview - that seems very bold to me and I don't want to rub someone the wrong way by seeming too forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
He's right I have over 10 years in sales and you need to close for the next step. But let's back up.

A phone interview is light. They ask you about yourself what you have been doing work/school wise then tell you about the position. If you like the sound of what they are selling, show interest. When they get to the end of their spiel say below.

Then say " I am excited about this opportunity what is the next step in the process " there you just closed them for the F2F see that wasn't too bad was it. If they hem and haw, testing you say "I want this opportunity when can we meet, tomorrow at 3PM?"

Practice with a friend/family member so that you can deliver it with no um, or stutter.

You will do fine.

In a cutthroat job market/economy if you aren't asking in a assertive and tactful way you are going to be left behind.

What I like to do, because everyone gets anxious, is nice hard cardio for 20 minutes, light breakfast and shower and it helps me excel at interviews.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
You will find numerous web sites that present questions you may be asked during a phone interview; read up on them and practice your answers.

Have your resume in front of you because you're more than likely to be asked about your past jobs (even though they already have your resume in front of them). They are mainly wanting to hear how well you communicate; and how well you respond under pressure.

Don't get too wordy with your answers and start to ramble.

Don't have the tv on or music playing during the phone interview; if you have a pet, have it out of the room (and earshot if it's a barking dog); don't have kids or anyone else in the room. During one phone interview, the candidate had her crying/screaming kid nearby and it told us she was not prepared and could have had someone watch her kid for her)...she was scratched off the list.

Have a glass of water nearby because I'm sure your throat will start to feel dry from nerves.

Take a deep breath before answering the phone.

As far as asking for a face-to-face interview; that's a crap shoot because some interviewers like assertiveness, while some others may not. Just tread easy if you do broach that subject.

Best of luck!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It may depend on the position or industry but yes, I consider it way too forward and it most certainly will not get you an interview. You would be told, "We are still doing phone interviews and we will make our decision on what candidates to bring in for in-person interviews after we complete the phone interview process."

Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Alright, thanks!

It's just an administrative assistant/part time position, so it's not in sales.

Another question: if I go to a temp agency for some part time work, will that look bad on a resume?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Ask or not ask, it probably won't make any real difference. If an applicant did that at the end of a phone interview with me I would simply reiterate our process, thank them for their time and move on. It would neither help nor hurt their chances.

I don't mind seeing temp staff assignments on applications. Work is work, and any experience is helpful.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Portray a positive impression in your voice, as there are no non-verbal cues (they cannot see you and read your body language). Ask, at the end of the interview, if all of there questions have been answered.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 22,755 times
Treat the phone interview as if its a face-to-face. It's all too common for people to not take the phone interview seriously because "it's not a real interview." It definitely is.

So, prep as you would for a face-to-face. Including answers to standard questions. Because it is easy to ramble on the phone, have a few points written down for the most common questions as a way to guide your responses.

Also, smile. Maybe you'll look deranged constantly smiling but they can't see you so who cares? The point is that smiling will add an engaged, positive tone to your voice.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM

306 posts, read 431,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I've been reading this book called "Knock em Dead" and the guy who wrote it basically says to ask for the face to face interview at the end of the phone interview... Is this too forward? The position is just a part time/hourly position...

After reading all the stuff about HR and black listing on this website, it's safe to say I'm feeling extra worried. I keep wondering if there's a secret reason behind why I'm not finding jobs. My last HR manager at a retail department store (similar to jcpenney) didn't like me very much, or anyone for that matter, she just kind of had this bitter and resentful personality and would talk trash about me and other associates even though I worked there for over 2 years. And the only manager at the store who really respected me left because it was such a bad work environment and she actually wouldn't even tell ANYONE where she was going (so there's no way for me to kinda reach out to her and ask for guidance OR for a reference). We didn't even find out she was leaving until 5 days before her last day, she didn't give anyone a way to contact her at all.

My nerves are getting the best of me. I'm trying to get some really good basic work experience and save up money because my best friend and I want to move to a bigger metro area and try to find jobs there.

Any tips or suggestions would help out a lot. Especially whether or not to ask for the face to face interview - that seems very bold to me and I don't want to rub someone the wrong way by seeming too forward.

Relax. You've got this in the bag. What I like about phone interviews is that you can script your answers. Write down all those basic questions and come up with well-thought-out answers. That way, when it comes to interview time, you can pause for a second to give the illusion that you're thinking about it, then read a good answer right off of the sheet in front of you

Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone.

Reading some stuff on this website has been super helpful, but has also made me more anxious. Especially with the blacklisting stuff and how HR people seem so judgemental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search