Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah. I'll probably go get a Ph.D. in something because I'm bored and want something to do. Maybe I'll just rack up a bunch of debt getting some random graduate degrees and be too educated for my own good. And then file bankruptcy because at this point who cares?!

Ok, I'll quit being a drama queen.
One possibility is 'College Intern' programs offered by a wide range of corporations (assuming you are moving ahead with an advanced degree). That would allow you to gain some real experience in your degree-related field and, by the time you graduate, secure a position with your 'intern company.' (Companies like this approach because departments can get added people, yet, the money for interns generally comes out of a different pool). Both of my kids did this through their undergrad degrees and came out of college with solid, high paying jobs.

Re your earlier "Networking" question ... and lack of immediate contacts (like everyone else just coming out of college). -- A networking approach many successfully use is to contact everyone they even remotely know, including parent's contacts. BUT, instead of the old standby, "I need a job" or "Do you know of a job?" --- try a different approach: "I don't expect you to have or even know of a job! -- But, since I'm a recent graduate and don't have many contacts, I'm hoping you might be able to refer me to people you know who might possibly help me better understand how to get into XYZ field. I promise you that I'll only ask the people you send me to for information and not try to put anyone on the spot for a job." ---- THEN follow through with this same approach to seek more contacts.

Everyone knows you ultimately need a job, but, nobody wants to be put in the position of saying "no." You also genuinely need information and contact; ...and need to trust that if you present yourself well, ask intelligent questions and follow-through on their advice (checking back to let them know what happened). People will see your merits and do what they can to help you. (People referring you to other people IS networking!) -- Note: A high percentage of the 'available jobs' at any given time are NOT advertized.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-16-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:31 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is ridiculous! Some of these applications require upwards of an hour to fill out! I have 4 jobs that I list in my work history and I'm forced to type in every little detail pertaining to each job. I tell ya, this is enough to drive one to drink. What is the meaning of all this nonsense?

I recall the past two jobs that I got.... Simple resume submissions, a phone call, interview and bam, you've got an offer. Very simple formula, so why are HR managers rewriting the wheel these days? Maybe this is some kind of attempt to make employees stay put? Who in their right mind wants to spend 8-10 hours at work, an hour on the road both ways, and then 3 hours applying to maybe 4 jobs?

Insanity...
Be glad you're not filling out an application for a Commercial Driving position. Most of those applications are 15+ pages, want just about every piece of information concerning one's driving history, and driving related jobs for the last 10 years.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Be glad you're not filling out an application for a Commercial Driving position. Most of those applications are 15+ pages, want just about every piece of information concerning one's driving history, and driving related jobs for the last 10 years.
Well, I applied to one that required about 8 pages of info, including an informal essay regarding my background and interest in the position. After that, I had to list every piece of software I have used, along with makes AND models of equipment I have used. Seriously... Like I've got a list of this crap. I'm surprised they didn't ask for serial numbers

Should I move on to the next step, I have have an informal test, along with a random proficiency demonstration in multiple areas of their choice. Who knows what comes after that... Maybe a spinal tap, which may prove to be the most pleasant component of the ordeal.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Welcome to 21rst century America. I love it when they ask for a resume then take you to their form to fill out your work and education history.
Resumes can be honed and polished by professionals. I wonder if they do this to see if the applicant is functionally literate. Some applicants, even those from top schools, can't write a coherent paragraph, free of spelling, puntuation, and grammar errors if their life depended upon it.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
All I do is paste the stuff from my resume into the job description fields. For all they know someone else wrote my resume (they didn't though).

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
Resumes can be honed and polished by professionals. I wonder if they do this to see if the applicant is functionally literate. Some applicants, even those from top schools, can't write a coherent paragraph, free of spelling, puntuation, and grammar errors if their life depended upon it.
I blame the schools, not the applicants. If the schools don't teach that kind of stuff by the time they graduate high school, one is likely not able to be able to write coherent statements. I mean millennials are mostly growing up in a slashed school budget with an increase in graduates due to lower standards and teachers willing to pass a student with a pulse so they don't get the axe for being a bad teacher because half the class flunked.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:59 PM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I blame the schools, not the applicants. If the schools don't teach that kind of stuff by the time they graduate high school, one is likely not able to be able to write coherent statements. I mean millennials are mostly growing up in a slashed school budget with an increase in graduates due to lower standards and teachers willing to pass a student with a pulse so they don't get the axe for being a bad teacher because half the class flunked.
It's not about blame, it's about competence. It doesn't matter who's at fault. If the applicant can't hack it, the applicant can't hack it. The prospective employer may require someone who can hack it. Actually, my comment was made with college graduates in mind. I have personally seen examples of this lack of basic language skills in applicants who were journalism and English majors.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
It's not about blame, it's about competence. It doesn't matter who's at fault. If the applicant can't hack it, the applicant can't hack it. The prospective employer may require someone who can hack it. Actually, my comment was made with college graduates in mind. I have personally seen examples of this lack of basic language skills in applicants who were journalism and English majors.
And that goes back to schools just passing them through and then schools not wanting to fail them because they paid for it and do not want to be the one to crush their self-esteem. This has been posted by some other poster on some thread in some forum.

I do agree, it is the applicant is at fault but unless they are continually told their writing is fine, it is like telling the emperor's clothes look good, even when he is buck-***** nude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search