Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

When I decided to move, I asked a friend could I stay with her for a while until I got on my feet in the new city. When she agreed, I immediately began using her address on my resume even though I was still living in my original city. It wasn't a lie since that actually was my address for that city. Eventually, I moved to the city while still looking.

I always advise people to do the same. Ask a friend (or family) if you can stay with them. If they say yes, start using their address.

I also don't think there is a problem with using an out of state mailing address like a paid p.o. box. Businesses have various mailing addresses. You just have to be prepared to get to an interview within a few days notice. You can explain all of your personal details later. You also have to be prepared to pay your own relocation costs and tell them that during the interview phase.

Reality is that most jobs don't come with relocation packages. If you want the out of town job, you have to pay to move. The key is to assure them that you can start within two weeks without any complications.

Last edited by charlygal; 11-17-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
When I decided to move, I asked a friend could I stay with her for a while until I got on my feet in the new city. When she agreed, I immediately began using her address on my resume even though I was still living in my original city. It wasn't a lie since that actually was my address for that city. Eventually, I moved to the city while still looking.

I always advise people to do the same. Ask a friend (or family) if you can stay with them. If they say yes, start using their address.

I also don't think there is a problem with using an out of state mailing address like a paid p.o. box. Businesses have various mailing addresses. You just have to be prepared to get to an interview within a few days notice. You can explain all of your personal details later. You also have to be prepared to pay your own relocation costs and tell them that during the interview phase.

Reality is that most jobs don't come with relocation packages. If you want the out of town job, you have to pay to move. The key is to assure them that you can start within two weeks without any complications.

Finally a useful response. Other posters, take notes. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
I've just never heard of that.
Um....was the point of this thread to argue about things you never thought of or to learn what others have done that you never thought of?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,990 times
I've had quite a few interviews since the beginning of the year with out of state companies (actually more than local). I am up front about my situation and put down my real address. I never assume relocation would be paid, unless the job ad says otherwise. I'm still looking, so it hasn't worked out for me yet, but I'm saying getting interviews is possible if you have skills and experience in demand.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
None of these responses dealt with my original question and some were just totally wrong (which I provided a link to show). Just because you reply to a post doesn't make you a certified expert on the topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ur-resume.html

Another link. Apparently I'm not the only one who is aware of this standard practice.
Neither of the two sites you've linked advocate lying - in fact completely the opposite. Your first post indicates that you have already lied and are now concerned about covering yourself if questioned. Contrary to your perception of the responses, none were "totally wrong". Maybe you should re-read the articles you linked.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,920 times
How about employers who lie? That's ok but when a candidate does the same thing it's wrong? It's a cruel world out there and it's all about playing it smart. You do what you have to do to survive. If they find out than move on. Just don't lie about being a brain surgeon when you're not and you'll be fine.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Neither of the two sites you've linked advocate lying - in fact completely the opposite. Your first post indicates that you have already lied and are now concerned about covering yourself if questioned. Contrary to your perception of the responses, none were "totally wrong". Maybe you should re-read the articles you linked.
"Find a mailbox company (or a friend) with an address perceived as within the commuting distance for the job. Also, get a phone number (use Skype or Google Voice) to get a phone number that is in the area code where the job is."
Read more at [url=http://www.careerealism.com/applying-out-of-state-job/#gI2sD2yqJOThIedb.99]Applying For An Out-Of-State Job | CAREEREALISM[/url]

I read it. Did you? That is lying.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
How many times in how many different ways will this Q pop up?
The answer remains the same: Don't.

Quote:
"Find a mailbox company (or a friend) with an address perceived as within the commuting distance
for the job. Also, get a phone number ... that is in the area code where the job is."
Yep; that's HOW to do it.
Then if/when they respond and ask you to meet the next afternoon... then what do you do?

Quote:
but, but, but... what about?
Nope. It's still no.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many times in how many different ways will this Q pop up?
The answer remains the same: Don't.

Nope. It's still no.

hth
Yes, and don't get a interview in that city. No one asked do or don't. The question was how to get around or away with it and if it would even matter that much. The question was "already did it" and going to keep doing it, so "don't" doesn't apply.

As far as being asked to meet the next afternoon, it's not that hard of a question. You go the next afternoon, or simply say you are busy tomorrow and ask to meet the following day. That's what I plan on doing. Pretty simple.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Applying For An Out-Of-State Job | CAREEREALISM

I think YOU have a lot to learn. I though this was common knowledge. A simple google or forum search would reveal this. Many career websites actually advise people to change their address to a local one! Wake up man!

Amazing how I have the "muster" to get local interviews but not out of state. Does "muster" not cross state lines. As I already explained, I had an interview with this company, but they changed their mind when they discovered I lived out of state. and as I also already explained once, they can't prove or aren't going to care about where you used to live after you already started working for them and moved here anyways. And as the topic of my thread explains, I have an interview with another company in this city, but coincidently, this was the resume I put a local address on.
you can either consider my post a personalized attack, as you have, or you can try to listen to other peoples opinions, with that attitude it might be hard to keep a job, let alone get one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search