Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
All I can say is....YAY!!

I remember all your struggles with that one (stupid) company awhile back. Are you all set in PDX now? Fingers crossed that this job works out for you.
Oh yeah, I'm all set in PDX. Now I just need a job, hehe. I keep getting interviews (yay) and second interviews (yay) a couple of third ones (yay), but dangit, no offers (boo)!!!! I try to look at the bright side that when I do apply for jobs (I do it in waves), out of say 10 jobs applied, I get at least 3-4 interviews. The fact that I'm not landing anything is starting to wear on me and give me a complex. Obviously I'm not doing something right. Ugh!

On the upside, the two companies I interviewed with today want to move fast (get someone hired in December), so at least I'll know soon enough if I'm passed over or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Oh yeah, I'm all set in PDX. Now I just need a job, hehe. I keep getting interviews (yay) and second interviews (yay) a couple of third ones (yay), but dangit, no offers (boo)!!!! I try to look at the bright side that when I do apply for jobs (I do it in waves), out of say 10 jobs applied, I get at least 3-4 interviews. The fact that I'm not landing anything is starting to wear on me and give me a complex. Obviously I'm not doing something right. Ugh!

On the upside, the two companies I interviewed with today want to move fast (get someone hired in December), so at least I'll know soon enough if I'm passed over or not.
Oh, yikes.. That hits way too close to home (first paragraph). You'll hit your stride soon. I'll never forget, when I started my first job after the string of WhatThe@$*& interviews, I was suddenly getting emails and LinkedIn requests from competing companies during the FIRST MONTH trying to poach me away. Life makes no sense sometimes. Just roll with it.

Anyhow, got all my fingers and toes crossed over here (I think there's still 20 of them..) so that's a lot of luck! (Right? Right.)

P.S. is it Friday yet?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I wouldn't worry about wearing the do same suit with different accessories
You can really make them look differently. Even when I go to a conference with business partners I bring one suit and change up the accessories. You will be fine! Good luck!

Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 AM

48 posts, read 172,144 times
I wish you the best of luck and truly hope you get this job. You sound motivated, put together and sincere. Stop worrying about clothes Wear the suit again if needed (hopefully it's needed for another interview!) and face the future when it happens.

I worked for years (just stopped this year) and now attend corporate events with my husband. The dress code for women at events is a bit flexible, I find. (I am including meeting dignitaries here - Senators, corporate heads, local politicians, a bishop even!) A suit is not as necessary as it used to be (though 1 or 2 in the closet is a good idea). For evening events, a rather plain but well fitting black dress is indispensable. You can wear it over and over again, dress it up with pearls, put a blazer on over it, wear a scarf, a shawl, etc. One or two suits should be enough. Dresses are much less expensive than suits, the styles change so you can stay fashionable, and they are perfectly acceptable (as long as conservative in color and cut). Many can be washed at home, saving the dry cleaning bill. Dress pants (grey or black, flat front, wider trouser leg) can be worn all the time. Sweaters are good for a casual day in the office; a blouse with conservative jewelry is what you want for a more corporate daytime event. I went to a recent evening event with politicians and CEO's in attendance and several of the women had on black dress pants. They all looked tidy and appropriate. Invest in a few very good pairs of shoes. A heel is nice, but not too high. You do not want to be uncomfortable nor do you want to teeter around and look inappropriate. Good shoes really help an outfit.

Because you have such concern for details, I think you will make a great executive assistant. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I'm approaching retirement, but I still want the satisfaction of at least a part-time job. But I've rebelled against "over-dressing" all through my career -- first "real" job after college ended, with regrets on both sides, because I politely, but firmly refused several entreaties to wear a necktie for simple office work, and I don't regret my stance in the least.

As a general rule, I will never wear anything beyond a polo and khakis at the first contact. However, if the job has potential, and involves contact with the public, I will ask the potential employer how strict the policies are on dress at an earlier opportunity, usually by phone, and I'll "give" a little on the issue if the pressure for conformity isn't constant, or too strong/strict.

I also make it a point to mention that I don't have much of a "corporate" wardrobe (bought the last of my two suits sometime in the Eighties - usually rent for the few funerals I go to) and that investing in one at this late date is a considerable financial burden.

But I know that at "my age" I'm not going to get too far, and I regard dress codes/pressures as one of the biggest factors in what has turned too many workplaces into something out of George Orwell.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDG View Post
I wish you the best of luck and truly hope you get this job. You sound motivated, put together and sincere. Stop worrying about clothes Wear the suit again if needed (hopefully it's needed for another interview!) and face the future when it happens.

I worked for years (just stopped this year) and now attend corporate events with my husband. The dress code for women at events is a bit flexible, I find. (I am including meeting dignitaries here - Senators, corporate heads, local politicians, a bishop even!) A suit is not as necessary as it used to be (though 1 or 2 in the closet is a good idea). For evening events, a rather plain but well fitting black dress is indispensable. You can wear it over and over again, dress it up with pearls, put a blazer on over it, wear a scarf, a shawl, etc. One or two suits should be enough. Dresses are much less expensive than suits, the styles change so you can stay fashionable, and they are perfectly acceptable (as long as conservative in color and cut). Many can be washed at home, saving the dry cleaning bill. Dress pants (grey or black, flat front, wider trouser leg) can be worn all the time. Sweaters are good for a casual day in the office; a blouse with conservative jewelry is what you want for a more corporate daytime event. I went to a recent evening event with politicians and CEO's in attendance and several of the women had on black dress pants. They all looked tidy and appropriate. Invest in a few very good pairs of shoes. A heel is nice, but not too high. You do not want to be uncomfortable nor do you want to teeter around and look inappropriate. Good shoes really help an outfit.

Because you have such concern for details, I think you will make a great executive assistant. Good Luck!
Thanks. I have noticed that things are getting more lax everywhere. And I know it's more of a relaxed atmosphere up here in Portland versus SoCal and that's saying a lot, haha. If I did get that job, honestly, I'd just ask the bosses what they expect. Some prefer their admins to be suited up, if they are, especially if they're tagging along. Others, may not care as much and be just fine with slacks/blouse and put together nicely.

Unfortunately, dresses are out for me. I personally don't like wearing them, but I have a tattoo on my ankle that I can't hide. I don't mind, but sometimes, I do wish I could wear a dress that you can change up easily. If I can find a pair of boots that fit my darn muscular calves, I'd be golden in fall/winter.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm approaching retirement, but I still want the satisfaction of at least a part-time job. But I've rebelled against "over-dressing" all through my career -- first "real" job after college ended, with regrets on both sides, because I politely, but firmly refused several entreaties to wear a necktie for simple office work, and I don't regret my stance in the least.

As a general rule, I will never wear anything beyond a polo and khakis at the first contact. However, if the job has potential, and involves contact with the public, I will ask the potential employer how strict the policies are on dress at an earlier opportunity, usually by phone, and I'll "give" a little on the issue if the pressure for conformity isn't constant, or too strong/strict.

I also make it a point to mention that I don't have much of a "corporate" wardrobe (bought the last of my two suits sometime in the Eighties - usually rent for the few funerals I go to) and that investing in one at this late date is a considerable financial burden.

But I know that at "my age" I'm not going to get too far, and I regard dress codes/pressures as one of the biggest factors in what has turned too many workplaces into something out of George Orwell.
I'd love to wear jeans and t-shirts to work, but a job is a job. I'll accept any dress code as long as they pay me enough to buy a new wardrobe if needed. Actually, what's funny is right now, I have clothes for suiting up or going casual. If I worked someplace that was business casual, I'd have to go buy a whole new wardrobe.

I honestly don't think I'd go as far as to turning down a job because of their dress code. I dunno, but that's probably low on my list of reasons not to take a job. To each their own though. As long as you're happy, right?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
I think you should just buy a new outfit. If you get the job, you'll need to possibly wear that attire much more often. Plus you can have it for future occasions as well.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM

I went to Macy's and found a great suit. It's a mid-gray tone (not light, not charcoal). Classic styling, so no need to worry about it going out of style. And the two best parts about it? I only need to hem the pants (usually I need to hem the jacket sleeves too) and together, it cost about $100. Cheap!

I had gone to many stores and either the styles were just wrong, didn't fit me right, etc. Love that I found something that fits and doesn't need to get tailored too much. Yay!

I don't think I got a second interview as I know they wanted to do it this coming week and I haven't gotten any calls. However, I have a second interview in early Dec for another position, so I'll take it. Someone just give me a job!!! Please. :begging:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search