Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

Businesses have to make money, yes. But the way people say this it's almost like an entitlement complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
These stores are being built to SELL PRODUCTS to the residents, not CREATE JOBS.
True, but it takes many employees to sell those products so there is a big benefit to the local unemployed. Even if they were paying minimum wage with no benefits those people hired will at least require less government assistance than they are getting now.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Maybe a good chunk of them are applying just to keep their unemployment benefits until they find an actual job?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Maybe a good chunk of them are applying just to keep their unemployment benefits until they find an actual job?
I think you would find that many, if not most, of the applicants have never had a job so there will be no unemployment to protect. For them, Wal-Mart will be an "actual job".

Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As you can see, Walmart is not as bottom-of-the-barrel as some reports make it out to be. A previous poster mentioned caddying. I never worked at Walmart, but have caddied, drove a taxi, and dug ditches. Caddying was by far the worst.
Walmart puts out a monthly magazine for employees and I was reading one yesterday. I thought there were a lot of folks who've been with them 25 years, and there are, but one page was dedicated to 40 year employees. Yeah, Walmart must be a really horrible company to work for and they are a bunch of masochists! lol

One of the 'problems' Walmart has to deal with...with the general public...is that people hear things, and believe it, without asking or doing a little research. Yes, they have had problems in the past, and some of them resulted in lawsuits, but they don't anymore. People 'assume' they still do though. I do believe a lot of things depend on the individual store and it's management. I am VERY lucky to have great managers who know how to do their jobs.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What?? Working at Walmart isn't an "actual job"???? Then what the heck are all those people where I work buzzing around, working their tails off, there for??? Oh...just for fun, I guess. Nice to know I get paid for doing a NON "actual job". LOLOL Nobody I know is on unemployment or welfare.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think you would find that many, if not most, of the applicants have never had a job so there will be no unemployment to protect. For them, Wal-Mart will be an "actual job".
Not so, sorry. We DO have some kids working at my store but most are temporary for the holidays. I'd say our 'average' employee is in their late 20s/early 30s. Most DO have experience in other fields and there are a ton of them...including me...who've been working all their lives. We have plenty of senior citizens working there too. Not so many first jobs there.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Not so, sorry. We DO have some kids working at my store but most are temporary for the holidays. I'd say our 'average' employee is in their late 20s/early 30s. Most DO have experience in other fields and there are a ton of them...including me...who've been working all their lives. We have plenty of senior citizens working there too. Not so many first jobs there.
Where you are, not DC. The unemployment universe is different there. Wal-Mart was specifically recruited (and one of the reasons it was approved over small but loud and well financed objections at zoning hearings) because they committed to hiring chronically unemployed DC residents.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Actually internet and phone can come from governments as I know local governments that run their own municipal internet services.

Braintree Electric Light Department

Haircuts I've seen out of vocational schools and potentially lawn care. Now it's really technically training for them but it does happen.

GoLocalWorcester | News | Worcester Tech: Offering Cheap Oil Changes and Hair Cuts

This has nothing at all to do with DC. Local governments can run a number of programs. I know towns/cities that run airports, golf courses, farms, seaports, colleges and the list goes on and on. Local governments generally have the freedom to experiment with things like these.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So much for the conservatives and their hatred of the unemployed. Plenty of people applying for jobs that are "beneath them".
I don't know any conservative who has a "hatred" of the unemployed. Stop being played by the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search