Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on how this can be done? I have to schedule a couple interviews shortly. Things are looking hectic at work, and I'm kind of unsure how to plan all this...

One is in Washington and another is in Louisiana. Obviously, this will involve some flying. Do employers ever accommodate folks who are currently working by conducting interviews on the weekend? Would it be outrageous to ask? I have tons of banked days, so I could take a day off without a problem.

Would it be silly to simply leave my job? I've been getting tons of bites from around the country, so I'm relatively satisfied with my chances of finding something. I would probably expand my search a bit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Weekend...probably not. Have you asked for phone or Skype interviews?

I wouldn't leave your current job without something lined up unless you have 6 mos. to 1 year of savings.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Have you talked to them? Do they know you are coming from another state?

You might just have to ask your work for the time off. I did this for the most part, one place I applied at saw I was in another state and we scheduled a phone interview. I tried to do things like interview on Mondays/Fridays and would also just fly in, interview, then fly back (when possible).

Old 11-25-2013, 05:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Weekend...probably not. Have you asked for phone or Skype interviews?

I wouldn't leave your current job without something lined up unless you have 6 mos. to 1 year of savings.
That could take someone years if they are barely making it and are looking for a better job to improve their pay/quality of life.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That could take someone years if they are barely making it and are looking for a better job to improve their pay/quality of life.
Huh? Did you read the OP? He has a job and is just looking for new prospects. If he ups and leaves his current job, he could face financial hardships should the new job not come through. Isn't it a good idea if he stays until he has a firm offer?

As for saving, you would be surprised how much people can save if they really tried. Americans waste a lot of money on silly stuff.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Did you read the OP? He has a job and is just looking for new prospects. If he ups and leaves his current job, he could face financial hardships should the new job not come through. Isn't it a good idea if he stays until he has a firm offer?

As for saving, you would be surprised how much people can save if they really tried. Americans waste a lot of money on silly stuff.
I have more than enough to not worry. I definitively did not max out my standard of living relative to my income. I was actually toying with the idea of taking three months off to travel the country, but maybe that can wait.

Even if something didn't materialize, there's all kinds of side projects and gigs to keep me busy. Folks are always needing little projects taken care of.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Fly out on a Thursday night for a Friday interview. Just take Friday off from your job. Tell them you are taking a long weekend. You are

You can also interview on Monday morning and fly in over the weekend. Then catch a Monday evening flight and be back at work Tuesday. The issue here is that you will need to allow enough time Monday to catch your flight, else you miss it.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I'd try to arrange the Monday interview at the employer closest to the airport. I'd also advise if possible flying Southwest, since they allow changes w/o a fee simply due to the change. You pay the fare difference, but not the $150 charge tacked on just to make a change. That way, should your interview run late, you need not worry about additional fees on top of airfare.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have more than enough to not worry. I definitively did not max out my standard of living relative to my income. I was actually toying with the idea of taking three months off to travel the country, but maybe that can wait.

Even if something didn't materialize, there's all kinds of side projects and gigs to keep me busy. Folks are always needing little projects taken care of.
I wouldn't leave without a job just because employers may think you have been fired. My advice is to just schedule them back to back as much as possible and make it seem like seem like you are taking a long weekend.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I wouldn't leave without a job just because employers may think you have been fired. My advice is to just schedule them back to back as much as possible and make it seem like seem like you are taking a long weekend.
This is probably a good idea. I guess I'll stick with it and make time to interview, taking a long weekend.

I was shocked by the number of available jobs though. I haven't seen things like this in many years. I guess the economy really is improving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search