Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What if the people available are unqualified to do the job? That situation is more than people think. Just because someone needs a job doesn't mean they can actually do the job. Sometimes, it's cheaper to let a position go unfilled than to try to fill it. Mistakes in some positions can become extremely costly.

Hogwash! I stand by my point. You mean to tell me out of all of the unemployed there isn't a single one that can do the job? I guess not seeing as how they will post an ad with ridiculous narrow requirements that no one could possibly meet and then whine how they can't find anyone. People always find a way to stick it to those that are unemployed by making EXCUSES and 100 hoops only to find out that there are 100 more hoops that one must jump through. The goal post keeps moving.

I will give you your point that in some positions mistakes can be costly, but I still stand by my point as well. There is ALWAYS that flip side that some people around here have a hard time wanting to admit to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 05:17 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
Where I work, as soon as a job comes open, they put a temp into it. They then advertise it as an open job, first internally, then externally, and do multiple interviews, knowing full well that they will give the job to the temp "so they don't have to start all over again on training". Even internal applicants get ignored in favor of the temporary workers. First time I have ever seen that in a workplace.

My point exactly. Why do they even advertise the job at all? All it does its give people false hope. Then they have wasted people's time by giving interviews to people that will not even get the job.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 AM

209 posts, read 292,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Hogwash! I stand by my point. You mean to tell me out of all of the unemployed there isn't a single one that can do the job? I guess not seeing as how they will post an ad with ridiculous narrow requirements that no one could possibly meet and then whine how they can't find anyone.
I have a friend who is an operations manager for a small company. One of his duties is to act as the HR person as well. There was one time they wanted to hire this one foreign engineer as an H1B. However, in order to do so, he had to prove to whatever government authority there was that the H1B was a necessity as there were no Americans available to do the job. He spent a couple of weeks writing and rewriting the want ad in such a way that it excluded virtually anyone who did not have the exact skill set this foreign engineer did.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What if the people available are unqualified to do the job? That situation is more than people think. Just because someone needs a job doesn't mean they can actually do the job. Sometimes, it's cheaper to let a position go unfilled than to try to fill it. Mistakes in some positions can become extremely costly.
What it means is that employers don't need to fill in these positions badly enough. Sure, they would like to hire workers but are not willing to invest in training as demand from customers is still uncertain or that they can get away with doing less with less people. Hence they let these openings go unfilled.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
This discussion is all about blaming the employers. People are claiming there are millions of qualified applicants, but these greedy nasty employers deliberately bypass them in favor of underpaid foreigners flooding in to take away our jobs.

Not true! No employer wants to outsource or hire in foreigners who have a language barrier, culture barrier, expenses and liabilities associated with a work visa, etc.

Employers would greatly prefer to have someone local, someone familiar and easy to communicate with, someone they go to church with. The problem is, it's impossible to find such people.

I'd warrant that no one reading this has ever had to hire anybody, has no clue what it's like from the point of view of someone trying to get work done and unable to find qualified, hard working, humble, honest people to help out. Hint: they don't exist anymore in this country.

Instead what one gets is a depressing succession of people with substance abuse problems, people with an entitlement mentality who would sue their employer at a moment's notice, who try to get away with the bare minimum effort needed to not get fired, who steal and lie whenever it benefits them to do so, who might suddenly quit and leave you in the lurch no matter how nicely you treat them.

People from developing countries don't have as many of these decadent ways, they seem more willing to work very hard and invest themselves into the company with loyalty and pride in their work and respect for authority. This is the type of person who made this a great country. Not the lazy entitled ones, who are basically leeches and parasites, but the hard working ones who you might call naive and foolish for trusting the employer. But guess what. At the end of the day, that's the kind of person who took us to the moon and back.

There are plenty of jobs out there for people willing to work hard. You can go to the oil fields of North Dakota and make $80K driving a truck, $40K washing dishes, etc. It's an oil boom up there. It seems that a lot of folks would rather sit around and complain about their lot in life, than get off their lazy duffs and do something about it. I have no patience for such people. And I have no patience for those who say such people deserve anything more than the poverty in which they prefer to wallow.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Not true! No employer wants to outsource or hire in foreigners who have a language barrier, culture barrier, expenses and liabilities associated with a work visa, etc.

Employers would greatly prefer to have someone local, someone familiar and easy to communicate with, someone they go to church with. The problem is, it's impossible to find such people.

People from developing countries don't have as many of these decadent ways, they seem more willing to work very hard and invest themselves into the company with loyalty and pride in their work and respect for authority.
Invest themselves in the Company? How about have the company invest in them!. If there is one thing companies are absolutely loathe to do it is to invest even $1 to train their employees. That is the source of their we can't find anyone qualified nonsense. Guess what, no two jobs are 100% identical almost all jobs require some amount of training. So you can keep positing that laundry list of ridiculously specific required experience and crying skill shortage when you find noone especially for the crap wages you are offering or offer some training. Why don't companies get off their greedy decedent @sses and do something about it other than complain to the govt and press and leave jobs unfilled.

If by decant you mean work 40 hours a week for a living wage then yea we are decadent. We like to have food, shelter with essential utilities, medical care, and a salary level that enables us to repay the student loans we invested large sums of money to get for often nowadays no more money than skipping college and working up to a fast food manager.

The entire quoted above post is a fail.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I'd warrant that no one reading this has ever had to hire anybody, has no clue what it's like from the point of view of someone trying to get work done and unable to find qualified, hard working, humble, honest people to help out. Hint: they don't exist anymore in this country.

There are plenty of jobs out there for people willing to work hard. You can go to the oil fields of North Dakota and make $80K driving a truck, $40K washing dishes, etc. It's an oil boom up there. It seems that a lot of folks would rather sit around and complain about their lot in life, than get off their lazy duffs and do something about it. I have no patience for such people. And I have no patience for those who say such people deserve anything more than the poverty in which they prefer to wallow.
Who said employers don't want to outsource? Employers will employ cheaper workers wherever and whenever they can. Why wouldn't they if it helps the bottomline? And they don't have to outsource to cut costs. They can hire locals at low wages and/or simply let positions go unfilled.

If they pay $80K for truckdrivers in ND, it's because they need to hire that badly. Otherwise they would pay someone $20K to do the job or not hire at all and make do with fewer workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Invest themselves in the Company? How about have the company invest in them!. If there is one thing companies are absolutely loathe to do it is to invest even $1 to train their employees. That is the source of their we can't find anyone qualified nonsense.
Part of it has to do with accountability. In another thread I talked about how the old Citibank and IBM reaped the rewards of training their employees. Not only were they able to develop the next generation of executives, but they also expanded their business networks when these employees left and were hired by clients. The problem is that the consequences of not developing talent are not realized until many years later, after which time the managers who made decisions to forego talent development have either retired or moved on to other jobs. No personal consequences = no action; that's how managers today think. It's often the case when managers have their hands on the steering wheels but their eyes out the window.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 11-30-2013 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM

18 posts, read 232,171 times
I always loved agriculture for this.

A man or woman shows up to the fields looking for work. We'll say, "Thank you for choosing us instead of the others. If you want to give it a go, the supplies are over there."

If they can do the job, they get the job. Handshake and a signature seals the deal. No week long interviews, political bs or computer games. If you have the skills, you got the job. It's very refreshing to see hiring on the spot take place over a coffee on the hood of a truck in the crisp clear blue skies and warm sun. That's what made America.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 AM

18 posts, read 232,171 times
I can't speak for everywhere, but I know out here that the workers are making a very good paycheck. The families that have legalized, educated children are even coming out to work. We have kids that have assoc. degrees that are coming out to work with their parents because the pay is better than a traditional job and they aren't as many stupid rules. They can show up without shaving their face or having to spend ridiculous amounts of money on fancy clothes, etc for a position that pays them much more with a much friendlier environment.

I'm curious what will happen to retail around here with respect to workers. Retail jobs require you to kiss the feet of customers, adhere to dress codes that take up half your check, and deal with games that just aren't worth the $9.50 pay. Not when the fields dismiss all of it and will pay $15+/hr. And you can hang out with your parents and friends, carpool, get 1.5 hours of breaks a day and get every holiday off.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
$10-12 an hour for a BS in chemistry? I made $11 an hour working at Macy's ten years ago.
Macy's is paying less than Walmart now, in many cases. I know people starting at $8.00 an hour, but I also know someone who started at $11.00 at Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search