Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
They only send the work overseas that requires all labor and no brains.
Ha, nice one

Not only have many companies sent the production jobs overseas, but they've sent the engineering jobs, along with the precision mold work, and all the engineering and skilled labor jobs that go with that. You haven't a clue. They've nearly killed entire industries and specialties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ha, nice one

Not only have many companies sent the production jobs overseas, but they've sent the engineering jobs, along with the precision mold work, and all the engineering and skilled labor jobs that go with that. You haven't a clue. They've nearly killed entire industries and specialties.
And especially R&D. Big pharma especially has moved huge numbers of science jobs to China and India. Most of what is left in the states is marketing, clinical trials, and crappy QC jobs.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Even the securities companies are moving their coverage of emerging markets to these regions. Before Brazilian bonds and stocks of big companies used to be covered out of NY. Now they are being moved to Brazil. Same with other Asian and LatAm securities. But in fairness the securities firms are also moving their NY and London-based staff to the emerging markets since there is a need for their skills. That's a hint on how jobhunting Americans can find work these days.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Ha, nice one

Exactly.

A local engineering company I looked into while out of work oddly only wanted very senior level engineers. I later learned that this work - all aerospace related - was now being done in CHINA, but they still needed a few senior level engineers in America to sign off on the drawings. Nice... good to know that now even an engineering degree is worthless since we're stuck competing against people making $5 an hour in far-off lands?! I think this may have been the same nut-house that wanted to hire "part-time / temporary" senior airframe analysts because they were too cheap to pay such valued staff members full time. Because nothing can possibly go wrong with having airframes designed in China by cheap labor and then rubber-stamped by some badly underpaid American engineer who will then be laid off in a few months once his contract expires... ugh!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Company: Aerotek Scientific
Category: Scientific Jobs
Rate: $10.00 to $12.00 per Hour (would you like fries with those results)
Job Type: Contract-to-Hire
Posting ID: 2953193
Posting Date: 11/19/2013 Allegis Group Family of Hiring Companies

Apply Online for this Job Today
Already a Member?If you're currently a thingamajob.com member? Please apply here. Not a Member?We're hiring. Create an account and you can apply for some of the most desirable Scientific job opportunities in the country.

Entry Level Chemist Job Description:
Aerotek Scientific is currently seeking entry-level chemist with a background in sciences.

Requirements:
-BS Degree in Chemistry, Biology or other Science
-Basic analytical testing.
-QC testing ability/knowledge.
-Documentation & Data Analysis.

Qualified candidates that MEET these requirements should apply directly to job posting.

Required Skills for Entry Level Chemist Job:
■CHEMISTRY
■LAB TECHNICIAN
■LAB TEST INSTRUMENTS
■LAB TEST
■BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
About Aerotek Scientific:
Now, not saying that it's fair, but is it possible that a contract-to-hire in this example starts you off with a lower level with the expectation to significantly increase your pay if/when you get the hire?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
Quote:
Ha, nice one

Skilled labor is a fancy word for labor. Labor is labor. "Precision mold work" is s term that tries to make an easy no brains job sound complicated. And Engineers have plenty of high paying job opportunities in America. I have a a few friends who are engineers who are doing very well for themselves. I never mentioned engineers or skilled labor anyways. And you can't outsource 90% of skilled labor which is related to construction.

I mentioned corporate America jobs. I live in Chicago, believe me, I have a clue what good jobs and opportunities are kid. All these fortune 500 companies that offer all these amazing jobs and have to pay the sky high prices for office space wouldn't do it if they could just go overseas for a fraction of the price for the same talent. Find a random corporation in downtown chicago and go to their jobs website. You will find pages of good paying job opportunities. Even go to the companies in the suburbs. Go to Conagra Foods, who aren't even headquartered in Chicago and have a average office space in the suburbs. They have pages of awesome jobs.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times
I have been self-employed for a long time. The last time I applied to any job was when my church needed a music director. The pastor said I should submit my resume to [person], when I told him I was going to apply. Now bear in mind - the pastor made the hiring decision. He knew me. He was the one who said, in front of everyone at the beginning of service after seeing me play several different instruments in the praise team, "Is there anything you DON'T play?"... essentially, he knew my skills. The interim music director used me as his right-hand man and his substitute whenever he had to be away. I arranged music for other musicians in the band, on my own time, so that they could play better.

Yet...

I submitted the resume and cover letter, and heard nothing for almost two months. The personnel committee had no clue what was going on (they told me this - one of the ladies on the committee sang in the praise team). Eventually the pastor told the praise team that he'd hired someone else. Thank God I was late to practice that morning (a VERY rare occurrence)... I might have reacted in an un-Christian-like fashion had I been there for the announcement.

Turns out he'd been talking with the guy he hired, about this job, for four months before he told any of us that he'd be looking. When he told everyone "we're going to be starting the process of looking for a new music director", that was essentially a lie, as he'd started the process already four months earlier. I became close with the new music director after he was hired and he told me that the pastor actually reached out to him to see if he'd be interested in taking the job... rather than the other way around. They'd worked together before... this guy had actually been the music director for this church before. Okay, I get that. He had a better "in" than I did. The pastor said that he had to open the position to applications in order to satisfy the denominational authorities. That stinks, but maybe he had no control over that. What really burned me up at the time was that he had not told me what was up. "Hey, look... I wasn't about to broadcast this to everyone but just between you and me, I'm pretty certain that I know who I'm going to hire for the job. I've worked with the guy before and he's probably going to be my pick. Don't waste your time applying. If it falls through with this guy for whatever reason, I'll let you know and at that point you can give me your resume... but I don't want you to waste your time and get your hopes built up when I already have my mind essentially made up."

At least he apologized for that later on... but it is a reflection of what tends to happen in employment situations. This is why I've been self-employed for so long. It isn't anywhere near as hard to get clients as it is to get a job.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Skilled labor is a fancy word for labor. Labor is labor. "Precision mold work" is s term that tries to make an easy no brains job sound complicated.
This has to be the stupidest string of words that have ever been assembled. You're parents should have spanked you more often.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Default It's not just chicago-style “We don't want nobody nobody sent”

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I'm sick and tired of hearing 'well it was hard back then' comments. Yes, it was hard but at least you didn't have stupid software weeding people out because they were missing two keywords from their resume, or heaven forbid they didn't have 10+ years in some software.
The problem often is that HR doesn't know the business, they just know the business of HR, and that's what they encode into the weeding software. Plus when software does the winnowing using impartial keyword matches, you have a stronger defense against EOEC/discrimination claims.

Quote:
So why is it when these "qualified candidates" such as yourself apply to the same jobs without referrals, than you get turned down? Then the talent is there, but HR says it isn't and there is a shortage.
Right -- partly because HR acts as a filter but doesn't actually know what a "good" candidate is, so referrals act as a path around this faulty filter, but also because it's easier to take a risk on a "qualified" candidate when that candidate is referred by an existing good employee. I use the same process when I am looking to hire a chimney sweep or plumber -- I ask my friends if they know anybody who has done good work for them in the past and is looking for work.

Quote:
So they're qualified just because you know them? What about the people who I described who looked for work for a year, but only found a job when they were finally referred by someone. They were available on the job market for a year looking for the same jobs they eventually got through referral. If they hadn't been referred they would have been labeled "unqualified." If these qualified people you hired through referral hadn't been referred, then you would have deemed them "unqualified." Doesn't make sense.
Makes sense to me -- they are qualified because I or somebody I trusted worked with the candidate before, and is willing to put our reputation/job/bonus on the line and say "I know from personal experience that this candidate does not suck". I don't believe a resume that says a candidate is qualified; I do trust an existing (good) employee when she makes that same claim. Yes, a resume that comes "over the transom" is assumed to be full of lies, while that same resume arriving via interoffice mail with a note saying "Jane worked with this candidate at her previous job and speaks highly of her" goes to the top of the "to interview" pile. It's not fair, but it does make sense.

I'm not saying hiring by referral is the right way to do things, just that it is how things are done.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
This has to be the stupidest string of words that have ever been assembled. You're parents should have spanked you more often.
Agreed.

I bet they also believe machining is just "tossing the part in the machine and hitting the button."

Just because the people who do real work are often paid badly and treated poorly (and looked down upon by society) doesn't mean that their work requires no skill or is not crucial.

It's sad how this nation will pay a sociopath banker millions to shuffle paper around and create fake financial products that crash economies, but heaven forbid a machinist, engineer, die maker, or chemist get paid more than the bare minimum - probably on a short-term contract, too, so he can't pay his bills or have job security. Unreal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search