U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 AM

170 posts, read 341,764 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna take that as a rejection. No company that wanted someone would leave that person hanging dry for 3 weeks. They would have at least checked in to make sure I'm still available. And to think that I talked to them on the phone, dressed up and bussed an hour to downtown, sat down with them for a couple hours in the conference room, while they seemed so nice and enthusiastic towards me, etc ..... What a waste of my time. I bet they just brought me in as a first interviewee to give themselves practice interviewing people. Now they're doing the serious interviews and they're either going to not get back to me, or get back to me much later so that it seems like they were actually considering me up through the final interviews. It makes for a better story when they send out the generic "While we were impressed with your background, we decided to choose someone else" email.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM

17,817 posts, read 23,195,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I'm gonna take that as a rejection. No company that wanted someone would leave that person hanging dry for 3 weeks. They would have at least checked in to make sure I'm still available. And to think that I talked to them on the phone, dressed up and bussed an hour to downtown, sat down with them for a couple hours in the conference room, while they seemed so nice and enthusiastic towards me, etc ..... What a waste of my time. I bet they just brought me in as a first interviewee to give themselves practice interviewing people. Now they're doing the serious interviews and they're either going to not get back to me, or get back to me much later so that it seems like they were actually considering me up through the final interviews. It makes for a better story when they send out the generic "While we were impressed with your background, we decided to choose someone else" email.

Did you bother to ask at the end of the interview when they ask "do you have any questions?",
"when do you think a decision will be made?" or "what is the next step?".

That is your time to speak up and get some information. Doesn't sound like you did that.

I am amazed at what people don't ask and don't do when they're job hunting.

It's like the ones who post on here who put people down as references but neglect to tell these people in advance I am job interviewing and is it OK to use you as a reference. Than they wonder why the company can't get the reference to respond or they get negative feedback.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 AM

224 posts, read 685,264 times
Quote:

I know what you mean; I had a company I drove two hours away for an on-site interview. After the interview I was told to expect a call next week. What happen? No call, weeks and months have passed and I still have not heard back. After two weeks I just gave up on the interview. So it’s not you, I never received a rejection letter at all. Don’t give up keep on applying.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,289,976 times
No one brings someone in to practice interviewing people. Also, keep in mind those people have done many interviews before and are always going to seem nice/enthusastic towards people. It's not something that I would read into either way.

Also, this is not about a "waste of my time".... their time is just as valuable as yours is so they would not bring you in if they were not impressed with your resume.

Reach out to the recruiter for the position and see if you can find anything out. Right now, many folks are taking and preparing for vacations, so three weeks isn't entirely unreasonable.... especially if you didn't have the chance to ask what their timeline is.

Here's what I suggest....

On a word document, type No and copy and paste it 98 times, so that way you have 99 No's. Put one Yes at the end. Whenever you have an in-person interview you are rejected from cross out a No and view it that you are one more no closer to a "yes".

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,897 posts, read 65,351,220 times
There are many reasons for delays, not the least of which is holiday vacations, but also there may be a delay in the verification of references/education/background check for the selected person, and they don't want to make the regret calls until the person accepts an offer. We are at least nice enough to call candidates and let them know that there has been a delay and give anticipated date of decision.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM

39,149 posts, read 30,607,283 times
Quote:

Geez, three weeks as we're getting close to the holidays isn't much at all. I've waited a couple of months at times during this part of the winter. You sure are negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search