U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 98,398 times

Advertisements

I had a call with a recruiter who wants to set me for an interview at a client company for an open position. However, the recruiter is going to check all my references (only supervisors), do a drug test, check my credit, run a background check, and everything before I even interview for the position. Is this a good practice?

I have nothing to hide but I really don't enjoy contacting my former supervisors to ask for a reference. I already have 2-3 references that I usually use, but this recruiter requires direct supervisors. I had no choice but to reach out to my former supervisors even though I didn't want to. Anyone experience something similar? If I don't even pass the interview (which is generally the biggest hurdle), then all this was for nothing. I think it's an inefficient process. I think the traditional process of giving the offer first then checking references and all that miscellaneous work is much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM

39,526 posts, read 31,008,651 times
No thanks. Wouldn't do it. I believe in protecting your references. Sometimes temp agencies (which aren't really "recruiters") do this to get business contacts. No thank you...

Old 11-26-2013, 06:58 PM

10,169 posts, read 15,589,077 times
No and I'd be very suspicious that his motivation is to get your references for their sales department.

A lot of recruiters do like to flash their clients that they are interviewing prescreened applicants but bothering references before an interview even is a poor practice and of course they don't care if they burn your references but you should.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,948,172 times
I never give all my references to a staffing agency upfront for all the reasons mentioned, and it's such an invasion of privacy asking for a drug test with no job offer, don't think so.

Read your last sentence. Even you think it's strange, before you posted, because it is, and frankly it's creepy.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM

33 posts, read 98,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No and I'd be very suspicious that his motivation is to get your references for their sales department.

A lot of recruiters do like to flash their clients that they are interviewing prescreened applicants but bothering references before an interview even is a poor practice and of course they don't care if they burn your references but you should.
I think it is poor practice that I had to reach out to my former supervisors when I still haven't even interviewed for the position. If I were extended the offer and contingent on passing the reference check, I'd have no issue doing that.

In the end, I decided to do what they asked and provided all the information they need because I'm looking to land a job.

Last edited by jobsearcher123; 11-26-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,576,292 times
Really the last temp I worked with did this (minus the drug test) and I got a job right away with them.

I didn't think it was a problem, sounds normal to check a person before they start recommending you to their clients.

Last edited by beera; 11-26-2013 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM

10,169 posts, read 15,589,077 times
It is not normal to check references before the final step prior to making an offer. That is common business etiquette and unfortunately staffing agencies have none.

I'd give the staffing agency fake references so they don't burn through your real ones. I've had no less than a dozen different staffing agencies contact me and if I let every one of them call my references they'd be livid with me. I've even had different chains of the same agency demand to check references or the same agency after a year or so (I gues good references have a shelf life).

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM

2,845 posts, read 5,576,292 times
You don't have an offer, you have a company trying to help you find a job, therefore they should be able to check you out before they start putting you forward.

How stupid would they look if they didn't check up on you and your references and then ended up finding out you had a criminal history or lied about education or something? What company would want to hire through them then?

Every single time I have gone through a temp I have been interviewed and references have been checked. If I want a job, I'll do it. Because if I don't there definitely is somebody else willing to do it. Though I have only used a temp twice in my life.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM

189 posts, read 224,919 times
If you feel ok with it then do it. If you do not like it then do not do it. Do people have to be so angry when things are not their way?

Last edited by TheBookofLife; 11-27-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM

464 posts, read 732,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsearcher123 View Post
I had a call with a recruiter who wants to set me for an interview at a client company for an open position. However, the recruiter is going to check all my references (only supervisors), do a drug test, check my credit, run a background check, and everything before I even interview for the position. Is this a good practice?

I have nothing to hide but I really don't enjoy contacting my former supervisors to ask for a reference. I already have 2-3 references that I usually use, but this recruiter requires direct supervisors. I had no choice but to reach out to my former supervisors even though I didn't want to. Anyone experience something similar? If I don't even pass the interview (which is generally the biggest hurdle), then all this was for nothing. I think it's an inefficient process. I think the traditional process of giving the offer first then checking references and all that miscellaneous work is much better.
I do have experiences with several national IT recruiting companies who've called me asking for a reference for a former employee then proceeding to ask me what my current IT staffing needs are and how they can fill the void. Two companies, that I won't name, are notorious for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search