U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,466,505 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a position that is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of role responsibilities and pay. But certain things that happened in the interviews are very concerning to me, and are raising major red flags.

The first is that the women that interviewed me divulged information about other team members, personal information that didn't seem appropriate to share with someone who isn't even on board yet. They were telling me how this one is "difficult" and that one has "issues" and the other one is "always right". The comments were very personal and heated.

The second red flag is that they told me that one employee is not on speaking terms with the boss and stays in his office all day with the door shut. They also said that my predecessor left abruptly after many years without giving any notice. He was another one who "isolated in his office". They also told me that they have let five receptionists go over the past year because they "weren't up to our standards".

The third red flag is that one of the women who interviewed me - one-on-one - could barely look me in the eye at all. She was the main complainer about other people's personalities and flaws. I maintained eye contact with her the entire time and was very candid in my answers to her questions, but she maybe looked me in the eye twice, max, and this was over a period of at least 45 minutes. She seemed either intimidated by me or evasive, but she is the second-highest in the chain of command in that office!

I get the sense that if I take this job, I'd be walking into an unstable mess. Their quickness to blame their own employees for everything, combined with their over-emotional nature and inappropriate disclosure of information, really makes me question the way the office is being run.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,433,585 times
not exactly like this, but i would keep looking

Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM

12,840 posts, read 10,461,034 times
If you need the money and the experience, then take the job. It sounds like the office is dysfunctional but that may be the price you pay for keeping food on the table. When you get there, keep your nose clean, learn all you can, take advantage of any free benefits and plan to stay 1-2 years. Spend those years with your eyes squarely on your next move.

Learn to ignore people, wear headphones if you can and stay out of the office mess.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,485 posts, read 62,667,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you need the money and the experience, then take the job. It sounds like the office is dysfunctional but that may be the price you pay for keeping food on the table. When you get there, keep your nose clean, learn all you can, take advantage of any free benefits and plan to stay 1-2 years. Spend those years with your eyes squarely on your next move.

Learn to ignore people, wear headphones if you can and stay out of the office mess.
I agree. if you are desperate go for it but keep looking. If you can hold out longer, avoid this mess. I'm glad you were able to read those red flags, it sounds like a toxic work environment.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM

I'm not in a desperate position and everything else about this job looks great, but the red flags that I listed are too significant to ignore. I mean, two "office isolators", one not even on speaking terms with the boss? Something pretty grave must have happened there. To me, it seems like management is exceptionally emotionally immature, quick to blame and quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:12 PM

15,960 posts, read 23,837,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm not in a desperate position and everything else about this job looks great, but the red flags that I listed are too significant to ignore. I mean, two "office isolators", one not even on speaking terms with the boss? Something pretty grave must have happened there. To me, it seems like management is exceptionally emotionally immature, quick to blame and quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I completely agree. Do you know anyone in the company on a personal level? Do a little digging?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM

16,891 posts, read 17,706,268 times
Yep, take the job if you need one. If you don't, move on. Sounds bad!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I completely agree. Do you know anyone in the company on a personal level? Do a little digging?
I know a few people in the company, but unfortunately they are not in any way connected with that particular department. The company itself is very large.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 PM

532 posts, read 848,049 times
Sounds like they are letting you know about all of the different personalities you will be coming into contact with. And that perhaps due to the running of the office lots of people are termed, high expectations or unreasonable ones?

Then if you take the job and complain about some of your co-workers/management, they can say they warned you.

I had an interview once where the woman interviewing me told me that the two men who owned the company could be very difficult to get along with and would I have trouble with that? I said no, but knew that I would and that obviously wasn't the job for me.

I was glad she told me.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Even if it is a "warning" though, reality is that the office is still in disarray and is most likely toxic. Plus, there are ways to warn a potential employee about the state of things that does not involve getting too personal or bringing in emotions and grudges into an interview. I have had interviews in the past where I've been asked about my ability to handle "difficult personalities", but the interviewers did not take that a step further by singling people out. That's disrespectful and unprofessional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search