Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

I have been interning/temping at this place for about 6 months now. They have now opened up the position as a perm position and are going to interview other people, along with me for the position. It looks like my site director is hesitant about hiring me, but everyone else wants me to be hired. They keep asking if I have been interviewing, but unfortunately, I have had trouble getting other interviews. I'm thinking of just telling them I have an interview or two next week just to put more pressure on them to hire me, and to make me seem more in demand and not so desperate for an offer. It seems like I'm just totally leaving the ball in their court right now. I'm also afraid they might try to lowball me with an offer if I don't have other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Someone just had a thread like this a couple weeks ago.

I like one person's response on being asked if you are interviewing anywhere else right now: No because it's physically impossible to be interviewing with two people at the same time, RIGHT NOW.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Sarcastic comments are often a career limiting move.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Lying could backfire in your face. There's no need to lie. Plus, telling lies won't put any pressure on them at all since they can hire any candidate. They have options.

Tell them that you really want to get on permanent with their company but as a temp, you always have to look for other permanent opportunities. That's the truth isn't it?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I think sounding positive and committed to your current (albeit temp) employer is the best route to go. I would respond that you are very happy with this organization and not currently looking to go elsewhere.

I would also try to explore why the hiring manager is hesitant about hiring you. When you interview with him or her, I would try to ask a question or two about what goals the manager would want you to especially focus on in the first year of the position, or what skills or qualities the manager would most value for this particular position. His or her answers might be clues to what he or she perceives as your weaknesses.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I think sounding positive and committed to your current (albeit temp) employer is the best route to go. I would respond that you are very happy with this organization and not currently looking to go elsewhere.

I would also try to explore why the hiring manager is hesitant about hiring you. When you interview with him or her, I would try to ask a question or two about what goals the manager would want you to especially focus on in the first year of the position, or what skills or qualities the manager would most value for this particular position. His or her answers might be clues to what he or she perceives as your weaknesses.
Well I was told by my corporate manager, as well as my HR manager, to look for other jobs and interview with other companies even though I might get an offer. I was also told by my corporate manager that if they know that I am interviewing with other companies, it will make them more likely to extend me an offer because it makes me seem more in demand. So saying that I am not looking to go elsewhere and committed is bad advice. I can be happy and committed at an organization, and still interview for other positions, if they may or may not make me an offer. Those aren't mutually exclusive things. Its better than having NO offers and no backups.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If you tell them this, they may get the idea that the person is happy with being a temp.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
It could backfire! Be careful.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you tell them this, they may get the idea that the person is happy with being a temp.
I agree. If it was in their position, and heard this, I would lose respect for the canidate and question their judgement and motivation. That is actually how some temps think, and they remain temps for years and don't look for other jobs. Why should the employer care if they don't? I'm assuming the poster might fall into that category. I do not.

And it can't backfire. I'm not concerned at all about that. And backfire and what? The worst case scenario in either situation and not getting the offer.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
"I would prefer to stay here but with the uncertainty about the position I am also pursuing other opportunities"

If you don't like your options to a question that is not being asked directly.. Answer a slightly different question with an answer you like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search