Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times

Advertisements

Before I go any further, I want to mention that I work for a gigantic non government organization that I am sure 99% of all Americans have heard of. I recently had a conversation with my coworkers about jobs and interviews. These coworkers of mine work often with hiring managers and often know what is going on during the job interview and etc. They told me that in many job interviews that were conducted that there was absolutely no intention to hire anyone they interviewed no matter how well the candidate performed in the interview or how strong the candidate's resume was. The hiring managers often already chose a person before the process began and were only conducting interviews because it was mandated by the organization and the government. Essentially, it was like the Rooney Rule only it applies to everyone not just minorities. I told them that this is quite cruel to the candidates and they agreed although they said there is nothing they can do about it.

In any case, to people who have been suffering from job rejections, don't always assume it is due to a bad interview or resume; in many cases it is because the hiring manager simply already chose someone before the job hiring process began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Oh, definitely. I could give you many examples of this. It's unbelievable.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:59 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
You have to understand that if you have an internal candidate that has demonstrated they can do the job effectively and has shown potential, they are going to have an advantage over an outsider.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
You have to understand that if you have an internal candidate that has demonstrated they can do the job effectively and has shown potential, they are going to have an advantage over an outsider.
Well, they shouldn't waste a candidate's time on a futile interview that will end up nowhere. It also wastes the company's time as well and in my experience, I have had to delay some of my work because some of my coworkers weren't available since they were too busy interviewing candidates they had no intention of hiring.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Well, they shouldn't waste a candidate's time on a futile interview that will end up nowhere. It also wastes the company's time as well and in my experience, I have had to delay some of my work because some of my coworkers weren't available since they were too busy interviewing candidates they had no intention of hiring.
Life doesn't work on what people "should" do. It sucks but that's life.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I imagine that it may be true sometimes, just like employees who don't have any idea what they are talking about like to make things up and pass them off as fact.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
How did you get in the company in the first place? Think about it.

It didn't stop you from getting a job there.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Sometimes, many times, interviewing and meeting people in the org when you don't get the job (and never would as they had their candidate) can provide huge dividends down the line. Three times I've been called and asked to apply for a position (and gotten two of them) after interviewing and being passed over for prior positions because I made a good impression when I did interview.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Usually, a referral from an internal person has a huge advantage over an outsider. Sometimes, they post the job and interview outside candidates to "follow rules" without any intention to hire them.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Higher ed is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search