Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
is there a chance one might say “Ohh, he lives an hour from the office, let’s not interview him.”
Of course there's a chance. Especially if the company has had trouble with employees who live far away and can't get in on time when it snows (if you live in the snow belt).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Of course there's a chance. Especially if the company has had trouble with employees who live far away and can't get in on time when it snows (if you live in the snow belt).
Especially if you already have 20-30 qualified people that live close to interview.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,944,891 times
If your looking to relocate it is going to be extremely tough to get an interview unless you have very high demand skills. Not impossible, but difficult.

Otherwise, if your at a distance but in what is considered to be a reasonable commuting distance, you may be fine.

We have people who drive an hour plus and are reliably here daily. (Compared to some folks who struggle to roll in on time from a half mile away).

Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM

6,600 posts, read 8,946,790 times
I'm curious how common it is to judge based on a local address. Guessing at race or ethnicity, or stereotyping an area as snooty or trashy. Even guessing current income is a possibility.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm curious how common it is to judge based on a local address. Guessing at race or ethnicity, or stereotyping an area as snooty or trashy. Even guessing current income is a possibility.
I guess you could, although it's not something that I have ever done. Strikes me as being racist and discriminatory.

I would rather judge a person on their work experience and abilities. I don't care if they have an enclosed garage or have a different color skin than mine.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM

453 posts, read 630,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is my job to conduct an efficient and effective job search. There is a correlation between distance and pay, where people cannot sustain commuting on low levels of pay.

If a person wants to relocate to my area, it is their responsibility to let me know in the cover letter.
That's what I'll be doing with my own out-of-state relocation. I don't expect it will be covered by an employer, as I'm not really at the kind of level where that tends to happen (though anything is possible, I suppose). Fortunately, if the right job opportunity comes up in the area where I want to live and the only hurdle on my end is not having saved up enough yet to get an apartment, I have friends who live near that area (within less than an hour's drive) and one or two have offered me crash space if I find myself needing to jump before I'm quite ready.

I've even toyed with the idea that when I start getting ready to even think about sending resumes into that area, I might use the address of one of these friends (with the friend's permission, of course). I already have a Google Voice number with the appropriate area code, and it's set up to route to my cellphone as a second line for incoming and outgoing calls.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

929 posts, read 2,089,166 times
Sure they do. They better be paying attention to every single detail. Is it fair? No one said life was fair. Knowing how long it takes someone to drive 8 miles to get to work in our traffic congested area is bad enough. An hour away would translate into... maybe they'll be here by lunch.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
ive been turned away from positions after being contacted by a HM, they said they went with a local candidate, to me this just meant they were more inclined to hiring someone right away and/or they were really cheap and didnt want to pay for relocation costs.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM

453 posts, read 630,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
Sure they do. They better be paying attention to every single detail. Is it fair? No one said life was fair. Knowing how long it takes someone to drive 8 miles to get to work in our traffic congested area is bad enough. An hour away would translate into... maybe they'll be here by lunch.
If you have an hour-long commute, you get up early enough to make it on time, and you plan ahead for known traffic issues. I've had a nearly hour-long commute a couple of times, and all I really had to do was plan in advance.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Actually I can say from experience that travel distance to the site correlates directly with: The number of times the employee is late/stuck in traffic thus causing them to miss meetings, the number of times they just ask to work from home, the list goes on. We have a guy in my office who drives us insane because he lives an hour and a half away and is always late due to traffic.
Funny because I travel further than anyone else in my department and I've been one of the few not singled out for arriving late. I bet that person would be late even if he was close. (From my experience, late people are just late people to everything.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search