Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,841 times

Advertisements

All recruiters are not created equal.

Your best chances are with ones who either work for the company or are contracted with the company to find candidates. I interviewed with a smaller company a couple of years ago that had used a recruiter to fill a management position. She was their sole source of applications, and was to receive an amount equal to 20-25% of the new hire's first year salary. I also interviewed with a larger company that had in-house recruiters, although I think they were technically contractors. In both cases I received job offers (and am working in the latter now).

And then there are the guys that scour LinkedIn and Monster for anyone who remotely meets any qualifications for a job, hoping to find people they can submit to a hiring manager and claim a finder's fee. These tend to be the ones that call you at work rather than on your cell, because they can google the main line number at your company. I get emails from these guys about IT positions and all kinds of engineering not related to my actual discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,440,893 times
@OP, I'm assuming you're talking about staffing agencies... companies that find jobs for other companies. My answer here is "nope". They were not worth the parking fee, nor the drive down. For one of them located downtown, the only thing that was salvageable was I was in the area anyways for a meet up. Else, I wouldn't have bothered.
If these are recruiters or HR for the hiring company itself, a few. They're MUCH Better about being direct, and not playing any games. They want to hire people, not mine references and applicants for job leads, nor pad their databases. One contacted me out of the blue, whereas another one after I applied to the company's job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
About half my jobs were through recruiters/headhunters.
Would you be willing to provide some details? Manual labor? Office jobs? Executive positions? Upper management? particular industries?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:59 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,801,819 times
Where do they find you, linkedin?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,059,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
@OP, I'm assuming you're talking about staffing agencies... companies that find jobs for other companies. My answer here is "nope". They were not worth the parking fee, nor the drive down. For one of them located downtown, the only thing that was salvageable was I was in the area anyways for a meet up. Else, I wouldn't have bothered.
If these are recruiters or HR for the hiring company itself, a few. They're MUCH Better about being direct, and not playing any games. They want to hire people, not mine references and applicants for job leads, nor pad their databases. One contacted me out of the blue, whereas another one after I applied to the company's job.

Would you be willing to provide some details? Manual labor? Office jobs? Executive positions? Upper management? particular industries?
This thread is from 2013. The OP may not be checking on this thread, after 4 or 5 years.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 AM

405 posts, read 569,190 times
In house or 3rd party? I've found that 3rd party recruiters usually have jobs from poor companies or jobs that do not pay well. I tend to avoid them.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,306,741 times
Third party recruiters: No.

I have worked in a niche area that has been slowly dying, and trying to switch gears a bit. Since I don't have enough "direct experience" in what recruiters are generally looking for, I am generally ignored.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:39 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Something like a TEKSystems? No. I did get a job through a recruitment firm as a direct company hire.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,440,893 times
On one hand, a 3rd party recruiter did get me an interview. OTOH, I already interviewed for this company on my own numerous times, so it's not like it wasn't anything I didn't already do on my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
This thread is from 2013. The OP may not be checking on this thread, after 4 or 5 years.
I missed that. If the OP has email notifications enabled, then that may change.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,633,365 times
They have gotten me jobs that lasted for a few months...by design. Temp and then dumped.

I find them generally useless. Often times, I browse through their job search to see what's available. If I see something that would interest me, I tell my head hunter that I am interested and these are the skills/experience that I possess. However, they give me the typical, "I'll let you know what they say" kind of BS and never follow through. Then they try to place me in more menial jobs that I am not interested in.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 AM

18,533 posts, read 10,469,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
On one hand, a 3rd party recruiter did get me an interview. OTOH, I already interviewed for this company on my own numerous times, so it's not like it wasn't anything I didn't already do on my own.

I missed that. If the OP has email notifications enabled, then that may change.
I have been retired for almost two years and started to look about 6 months ago. I have had two phone interviews with "recruiters" and it all goes great and then talk to the company interviews on the phone and the job either wasn't what I applied for or a different position all together.

In my life every job I have ever interviewed for "IN PERSON" I got.This on line stuff is just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search