Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times

Advertisements

Elizabeth Warren Introduces Legislation To Prohibit Job Applicant Credit Checks

As someone who deals with credit reports for a living, I fully support this bill. Just because I wouldn't trust you enough to grant you a car loan does not mean that you would place my company in trouble if you got hired on as an IT guy or a plumber. A lot of people saw their credit score drop to the mid and lower 500s as a result of the great recession which included tightened credit, a lot of layoffs, and a bumper crop of foreclosures.

Also what the hell are you going to tell someone who just got through beating an aggressive cancer but has $200k+ in medical bills after insurance to do? Pay on those impossible bills and sacrifice food and a roof to keep their credit good or declare bankruptcy and wipe the slate clean and rebuild their lives and put their money towards surviving?

One caveat I have to this bill, is to exclude the banking field, specifically handling actual banking transactions.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM

n/a posts
Didn't even know they did this...

"We're not going to hire you, because you need to rebuild your credit...never mind the fact that by not hiring you, you won't be able to rebuild your credit..."

People are insane...I swear. When will you finally start pushing back?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

"We're not going to hire you, because you need to rebuild your credit...never mind the fact that by not hiring you, you won't be able to rebuild your credit..."

I read a story one time about a painter who had excellent references and a solid body of work that got selected for but ended up getting turned away from a painting job because he declared bankruptcy. The reason he declared bankruptcy was because he had a serious medical issue and impossible medical bills and a finance expert told him that was his only way to get out of that and survive was to file bankruptcy. That story makes my blood boil.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Good for her.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As someone who deals with credit reports for a living, I fully support this bill.
Just because I wouldn't trust you enough to grant you a car loan does not mean
that you would place my company in trouble if you got hired on as an IT guy or a plumber.
The financials and score aren't why the CR is used (by most).

It's about having an objective and reliable source of information
to verify the (often completely made up) assertions of job applicants.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

I agree! These overly stringent and often irrelevant policies have nothing to do with many positions, It keeps people down and hurts businesses as well as there is less income to spend on goods and services that will trim payroll and hours creating a vicious cycle. America used to be a place where a comeback story was a reason to toast drinks to someone. Not a place where we keep people in an inescapable position. Its the worst feeling, fighting for years on end to get ahead only to be blocked from even having a chance for one to prove they can rise again. Pass this law and people back to work already. Too many years of this crap. And in regards to " well they might steal cause they owe money " that's crap too. Greed is a motivating factor a lot. How many well off people have stolen to simply have more? Look at the bankers and executives who have done so.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

You are not going to convince me that checking a credit report gives you a better chance of hiring a good bricklayer or teacher.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
This bill will get nowhere.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Quote:

That makes no sense. The only thing on a credit report are a listing of accounts and balances, whether they are in good standing, addresses, and inquiries. It doesn't list job titles, salary histories or other employment information. Request your free anual credit report and check it if you don't believe me.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:

I'm curious as to what they would verify other than financial responsibility. My credit report only has a couple of my past employers and residential addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search