Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

You could call your local courthouse for the number of CBI, and they can do it, or if you want to limit yourself to state or county-wide, your local courthouse can do it for you. Fees depend on the type. For a credit check, you can contact Transunion, Equifax or Experian and you are entitled to one free check I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
In some situations, perhaps. In the OP's case, he's a young guy having a hard time finding a job. From what he's told us in numerous posts, he's gone on interviews that haven't progressed to the point where a BI would have been done, so that's probably not a factor in his situation. In his current situation, it doesn't sound like blowing funds on background checks that may be of no value would be a good idea. In his own post, he indicates he realized he made a mistake. So, asking why he thinks he needs one is a valid question. Had he answered it, I or others might have been able to steer him to where he could get what he might be looking for without needlessly spending more money.
I agree. If he's already having a hard time finding employment, I wouldn't want to suggest ways for him to needlessly spend money on something that may not even make a difference. Poor guy already got scammed out of $40 as it is.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
Man, I just made a big mistake. I decided to use a "professional" online background check service to run a background check on myself and it turned out to be a complete scam. I wasted $39.95 for an instant report that simply ran a Google search on my name and compiled a bunch of supposed address and employment information about me (90% of it was other people by my same name). I got scammed big time.

How do I run the same kind of background check an employer would before hiring me?
I don't employ people any more, but I do rent to them.

And I never could figure out how to do a background check without costing me an expensive membership into something. Same thing with credit check.
I can get my credit report. But I can't get yours:
Quote:
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s credit reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to credit reporting companies.
Free Credit Reports | Consumer Information

I wouldn't have used a background check even if I had been able to figure it out. I got much better results by actually talking to someone who knew my prospect.
Besides, there is the problem of finding exactly what job you had at XYZ. No agency is going to be able to tell me what title and responsibility you had.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:48 PM

n/a posts
in all seriousness, when I was hired and they did a background check on me, the company that was it doing it for my job emailed me informing me that they were doing it, and that if I had any questions about the process, or whatever, I could contact them...

Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Man, I just made a big mistake. I decided to use a "professional" online background check service to run a background check on myself and it turned out to be a complete scam. I wasted $39.95 for an instant report that simply ran a Google search on my name and compiled a bunch of supposed address and employment information about me (90% of it was other people by my same name). I got scammed big time.

How do I run the same kind of background check an employer would before hiring me?
Most of those "we can find out anything about anyone dot com" websites do nothing but troll public information and compile data bases. This is why when you type a name all sorts of hits come up but what they actually have you often won't know unless payment is made.

The better places gather up court records, telephone directories, high school and college yearbooks (yes, they are considered public information), and so forth to create a file.

Other places and the ones most employers, news media and some others use will generate reports partially upon what is already in the public domain (arrest records, court records, etc...) but will also send persons to do a physical search at various courts or where public records are kept.

Many employers now have taken a page from youngsters and simply "Google" an applicant's name. If there are any hits each is investigated. Should some of those hits come from companies such as those mentioned above they have two options: contact such a service and or do a deeper search themselves.

Types of searches and or information that can be gathered by employers doing background checks are limited by federal and state laws, however finding public information is not. If an employer "Googles" your name and finds a news media article about you having committed a crime that is one thing; IIRC federal government and state laws may limit them doing a formal criminal background check without your written consent.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Most businesses use B2B screening services that do not normally offer their services to the general public. They specialize in running compliant background checks to meet federal and state laws. They handle all the regulatory reporting and recordkeeping for us, as well as any FCRA or state communications that are required. These companies ensure that all required releases/authorizations are received before providing information. They delete information that is not allowable under state laws. They include disclaimers and advisories whenever information is suspect. Basically, they make sure we are following the laws and that the information we received is allowable under the law.

Now, with that said, many employers will also subscribe to data gathering services. These unregulated services will provide us with information way beyond what many believe is possible. Lots of information is questionable, but there is always something interesting in these reports. These reports can be as cheap as a few pennies (based on a monthly subscription price) to over a hundred for detailed information that is verified. Legally, employers are required to disclose these to you if they take an adverse action based on it, but reality is they use private payments to create access accounts. They run a person's information, the data bases returned all sorts of information, they don’t like something they read or information you didn’t disclose, they simply reject you and toss the report. Unless they tell you they based it on the report you have nothing but another rejection.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:51 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Most businesses use B2B screening services that do not normally offer their services to the general public. They specialize in running compliant background checks to meet federal and state laws. They handle all the regulatory reporting and recordkeeping for us, as well as any FCRA or state communications that are required. These companies ensure that all required releases/authorizations are received before providing information. They delete information that is not allowable under state laws. They include disclaimers and advisories whenever information is suspect. Basically, they make sure we are following the laws and that the information we received is allowable under the law.

Now, with that said, many employers will also subscribe to data gathering services. These unregulated services will provide us with information way beyond what many believe is possible. Lots of information is questionable, but there is always something interesting in these reports. These reports can be as cheap as a few pennies (based on a monthly subscription price) to over a hundred for detailed information that is verified. Legally, employers are required to disclose these to you if they take an adverse action based on it, but reality is they use private payments to create access accounts. They run a person's information, the data bases returned all sorts of information, they don’t like something they read or information you didn’t disclose, they simply reject you and toss the report. Unless they tell you they based it on the report you have nothing but another rejection.
News media use the latter type of "data gathering" services all the time. This is how they are able to quickly say so and so does not or does have an arrest record, or if they do what it was etc... It also allows them to dig into underlying charges, that is if someone was arrested for prostitution but pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, etc...

In reality due to technology nothing is truly secret anymore. It used to be background checks involved long tedious hours pouring over old newspaper issues, court records, etc... Now much is digitalized including archives of various media reports so information can often be had in seconds.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 PM

170 posts, read 373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Now, with that said, many employers will also subscribe to data gathering services. These unregulated services will provide us with information way beyond what many believe is possible.
Are these data gathering services available to the general public?

Also, what do they provide beyond what many believe is possible? Can you give an example?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:

Call your bank and report it as fraud to do a charge back

Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
He posted his resume and some other personal info a couple of months ago and left his name visible. It was later removed. A number of the regulars here know his name.
Yep. And undoubtedly potential employers can read his posts here under all his various user names, as they have been linked together in many posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search