Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would post a "news" story about a couple of college graduates. They actually started looking for a work a year before they graduated, did internships and created personal networks of professionals working in diverse industries. Imagine that.

Article: College grads discuss edge to finding work

Quote:
Daniel Howard landed three job offers during his senior year at Southern Methodist University, ultimately accepting a position with Citigroup in Irving, the third-largest bank holding company in the U.S. He credits the internships on his résumé and believes a student with experience will beat out a competitor with a higher grade-point average any day.
Quote:
“Often young people graduate with degrees that are not specific to specific jobs,” Davis said. “It is very likely that those people are going to have to find their own way in the world and will end up doing a job that surprises them, but that they are good at.”

Rodolfo Guzman’s job search brought just such a pleasant surprise. The 2011 graduate from the University of Texas at Dallas was looking for a position in electrical or telecom engineering but ended up at Tektronix Communications, a network services provider in Plano.

“The job I landed was a little bit different than what I expected it to be,” he said, “but I quickly adapted.”
Quote:
Cates and Austin both agreed that the job hunt can’t begin at graduation but should start a year earlier.
“It involves so much more than simply cranking out a résumé and posting it online,” Austin said. “They have to be engaged in the process by junior year at the latest.”

But beginning the process early is no guarantee that the job hunt will be quick and painless once students graduate.

“Companies are definitely hiring, but the process is just taking longer,” Cates said.

Xavier Cinque, who graduated from the University of North Texas in 2011 with a degree in psychology, said he worked at a grocery store and a restaurant before finding a satisfying job last month with a surgical tool manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 AM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I just thought I would post a "news" story about a couple of college graduates. They actually started looking for a work a year before they graduated, did internships and created personal networks of professionals working in diverse industries. Imagine that.

Article: College grads discuss edge to finding work

Yup, you really have to be creative and set yourself apart from others to land a decent job nowadays.

It is really difficult to get a job based on academic qualifications alone unless you have an engineering or computer science degree from at least a decent school with at least a decent GPA.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Sad when someone spends four years studying psychology and ends up satisfied with making tools. I don't suppose he's counseling the workers there?

Xavier Cinque, who graduated from the University of North Texas in 2011 with a degree in psychology, said he worked at a grocery store and a restaurant before finding a satisfying job last month with a surgical tool manufacturer.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sad when someone spends four years studying psychology and ends up satisfied with making tools. I don't suppose he's counseling the workers there?

He could be working in human resources, EAP, crunching statistics, or doing human factors research. If he's not doing any of those, it makes me wonder what he is doing and if his job even requires a degree.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Is it considered unusual or particularly proactive to look for a job a year before graduating? If so, then that's part of the problem.

I spent my entire senior year interviewing for jobs and I had accepted a job offer before the start of my spring semester. I know the market is not as good now, but taking the initiative to interview early was not something unique to me; every person I knew was doing that.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times
Ive had three offers in my field six months before graduation...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:

I don't know if he's actually making surgical tools, but if he is, so what? He's making more of a contribution to society than any MBA type I know..

Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:

You realize that the company has adminsitrative positions? Marketing, sales, general admin, etc.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:

Psychology typically requires a higher level degree. There are tons of people with a psychology undergrad.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:

Surgical tools are a pretty large business when you consider all of the government contracts. Psychology can fit in as market decisions are not always clear cut and dry. Might be making a business plan, a marketing plan, negociating a contract and the list goes on and on.

Congresswomen Gillenbrand was a Mandarine major in college so frankly I don't think a major 100% dictates where someone goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search