Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 PM

170 posts, read 373,207 times

Advertisements

I have never had my self-esteem crushed as much as I have with job searching in the past 10 months. Denial after denial has given me massive feelings of inferiority. The world of good careers feels like some exclusive club that I have been denied from. I feel that I'm not smart enough, not good looking enough, not worth anything to society.

As a result, I've become increasingly motivated to succeed. I feel that I need to prove my worth to the world. I am confident that I will some day get into this club that has rejected me thus far. When I do, I think that my deep-seeded feelings of inferiority that have been planted by job searching will manifest themselves in radical ways.

I can see myself developing an arrogant stride, flaunting my position of power, looking down on people who aren't as successful as me. I will get an ego boost from being on the opposite side of the table in an interview, get a big thrill from denying the desperate job seekers who are trying to kiss my ass. I will get ahead the same way that everyone else does: by knowing how to say the right things at the right time to the right people. It's really just one big game. The system does not reward honesty.

This is going to a big change in my psychology. Does it sound weird to you? I don't think it is. I see most people as motivated by an underlying need to prove themselves to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
So, rather than having some empathy for jobseekers based upon a common experience, you are going to thrive by fostering an atmosphere of misery and subservience in others.

That's rather sociopathic.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So, rather than having some empathy for jobseekers based upon a common experience, you are going to thrive by fostering an atmosphere of misery and subservience in others.

That's rather sociopathic.
Yup. Nothing more to be said in this thread.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM

322 posts, read 384,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I have never had my self-esteem crushed as much as I have with job searching in the past 10 months. Denial after denial has given me massive feelings of inferiority. The world of good careers feels like some exclusive club that I have been denied from. I feel that I'm not smart enough, not good looking enough, not worth anything to society.

As a result, I've become increasingly motivated to succeed. I feel that I need to prove my worth to the world. I am confident that I will some day get into this club that has rejected me thus far. When I do, I think that my deep-seeded feelings of inferiority that have been planted by job searching will manifest themselves in radical ways.

I can see myself developing an arrogant stride, flaunting my position of power, looking down on people who aren't as successful as me. I will get an ego boost from being on the opposite side of the table in an interview, get a big thrill from denying the desperate job seekers who are trying to kiss my ass. I will get ahead the same way that everyone else does: by knowing how to say the right things at the right time to the right people. It's really just one big game. The system does not reward honesty.

This is going to a big change in my psychology. Does it sound weird to you? I don't think it is. I see most people as motivated by an underlying need to prove themselves to the world.
I understand where you are coming from my friend. I've applied to so many jobs in the past couple of years and have either been denied from or ignored by 97% of them. They were all jobs that I had the qualifications for. And yes, to me the world of good careers where you actually have a path to follow seems like an exclusive club. I have a BS in engineering from a good school and am working on a masters, yet I still can't seem to land that first software dev job.

However, when you finally get that gig that you have been looking for, DO NOT ever forget from where you came. Keep humble and remember your roots. It is so easy to get an ego these days and become arrogant. Remember, pride goes before the fall. I've been knocked down many times after building up my pride. Instead of perpetuating the same situation you are in, you'll have a chance to effect change as you will understand how a candidate feels on the other side of the table.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post

Right now you are bitter, hurt, jealous, and seriously pissed off. It's one thing to fantasize about getting your revenge on people, it's another to act it out. Keep in mind, if you do become successful, anyone who is on the other side of the table from you is NOT at fault for your current situation. Don't take it out on them, they had nothing to do with it.

Now, if you ever get the opportunity to interview with someone who once had power over you, and treated you poorly....well......I can see the temptation. But don't. Rise above it. If you want to prove your worth to the world, it's not just about how much money you can make and what position you hold, it's also about your character. No one is impressed by an arrogant ass hell bent on making the world pay for his past miseries.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I've been talking about this to my parents. It's gone beyond just the economy or getting a job, it's like a personal thing. Not being able to find work has worn me down psychologically. It's like teasing a dog or lion with a piece of steak. Keep teasing it and when you put your hand in the cage he's gonna bite your hand off. Joe Carbone from PTE mentioned it on PBS. Long term unemployment damages your mind.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
So how does bitterness help your situation?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
You don't want to turn from abused to abuser and perpetuate the cycle of abuse.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 AM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
It seems like this topic may be more appropriate in the Mental Health or Psychology subforums.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM

170 posts, read 373,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
So how does bitterness help your situation?
It's increasingly motivating me to get a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search