Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM

68 posts, read 124,441 times

Advertisements

I responded to a company's job posting. There was not an link to apply, but rather the hiring manager's work email listed. I printed off the application, filled it out, scanned it and zip filed it along with a resume and cover later. Today the email bounced back to me.

I guess I don't have anything real constructive to say, other than it's kind of sketchy to me. Could it be as simple as the HM's inbox is full?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesRidgeway View Post
I responded to a company's job posting. There was not an link to apply, but rather the hiring manager's work email listed. I printed off the application, filled it out, scanned it and zip filed it along with a resume and cover later. Today the email bounced back to me.

I guess I don't have anything real constructive to say, other than it's kind of sketchy to me. Could it be as simple as the HM's inbox is full?
It's the zip file, unzip the file and submit the documents as single files from Word or a PDF.

Good luck, some emails are like this and do not accept zip files.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It's the zip file, unzip the file and submit the documents as single files from Word or a PDF.

Good luck, some emails are like this and do not accept zip files.
Thanks and will do. They're all PDFs.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Thanks and will do. They're all PDFs.
If that does not work try the .doc files, if it still fails then it's most likely his inbox is full (but that would be extremely rare).

Old 01-05-2014, 03:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Hmm, if you still get bouncebacks, could you try emailing him from another email address to see if the email is received? Sometimes in the bounceback message, it gives you a cryptic error you can put in Google to see what it means.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
You are right to be concerned, if the email address is legit. Was this a craigslist ad? There is not much control on that website, so I try to research. Does the employer's email address match the official company's website domain?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are right to be concerned, if the email address is legit. Was this a craigslist ad? There is not much control on that website, so I try to research. Does the employer's email address match the official company's website domain?
Craigslist. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

We must be cautious.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:

Emails bounce for a variety of reasons. This isn't to say the job posting wasn't sketchy. But you need to look at why the email bounced. It could have been the address was misprinted in the posting, their server was not reachable (which that in itself could include various reasons), your attachments exceeded their size limits, security controls on their end blocked it, the recipients mailbox is full, etc.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Emails bounce for a variety of reasons. This isn't to say the job posting wasn't sketchy. But you need to look at why the email bounced. It could have been the address was misprinted in the posting, their server was not reachable (which that in itself could include various reasons), your attachments exceeded their size limits, security controls on their end blocked it, the recipients mailbox is full, etc.
Agreed.. Post the actual bounceback message you got.. That tells why it bounced.

Of course, if that was really Craigslist.. And especially if it was like a gmail or yahoo address.. Few legitimate companies use those as their actual email.

That being said.. We've hired 3 people recently from ads on Craigslist at the company I work for. Mainly because they were low-level, part time, receptionist positions, and we didn't see the call to pay the $100+ for an ad on Careerbuilder for them.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM

As I stated in my original post it was the station's website. Sorry if that was unclear. The address was hiring.manager@stationcallletters.com, not gmail, Yahoo, etc.

Here was the automatically generated message:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

email@email.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search