Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times

Advertisements

For some bizarro reason, I've always enjoyed in-person job interviews (and as an "hourly w-2 contractor" I have them regularly). As I've gotten older, admittedly, my radar is trying to detect the age-old problem of age discrimination but, still, I relish the back and forth of a proper job interview.

As time goes on it seems like the interviews are getting longer but, in many cases, the interviewers appear to be "going through the motions" rather than actually making decisions; granted, this might be a feature of hourly-contractor positions rather than regular employee positions.

[there was ONE job phone interview that bothered me at the time and continues to hit a nerve a decade or two later - the job shop had warned me about the interviewer and even told me a key question the interviewer was going to ask (!) yet I still "blew it" with my answer and the interviewer directly accused me of being a fake before hanging up - there obviously was no hope for that one but it still bothers me to this day]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,818 times
I'm in a similar situation. My current job is not toxic, but clearly there are no advancement opportunities within my company for me since what I do is not a core service here. My area is not good for my field, so I have had many phone interviews with out of state companies in locations MUCH better for what I do. Over a year later, despite getting a good number of interviews, I haven't succeeded yet. It's fair to get disappointed after a while. I know I do. But, you can't give up as hard as that may be after an extended period of coming up short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Going to a job interview is like driving down the road with the police behind you.
lol, I like this one. My fiancee has high anxiety. If police are behind us, she's convinced we are going to jail or something.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangirl32 View Post
At least to me.
I feel like I'm selling myself, trying to convince someone else to hire me.

I have been looking for a year now. I have a job, but it is toxic to say the least. I'd post about that in a separate thread. It is so bad that I want to leave, but due to this economy, can't quit until I find something else.

Today I had an interview and right now I'm just exhausted. I am tired of applying and applying, getting only a handful of interviews and then nothing. Not sealing the deal.

Every time I go for an interview, I try to prepare well ahead of the time, research the company, have questions, dress nice, smile and be peppy, but it's so hard to keep getting disappointed over and over and over again.

At today's interview, I felt barraged with questions. It was almost like being questioned by a police officer. I am just exhausted. I want something to give.

I have a Masters in Business and good work experience, but it doesn't seem to be enough in today's world.

I know I'm venting, but I am just sad.

Okay, I wish I could just give you a BIG HUG. I totally know what you're saying, and I'm just the wife that's helping the job hunter out!

It was depressing, exhausting, humiliating, belittling, dehumanizing, and above all else, absolutely disappointing. It was constant and never seemed to end. He (and me, to a large extent) felt like a puppet, a marionette.

Finally, though, a job came through, and though it's military contractor work, a job he's not trained for, and a 25% salary cut from what he made the year before, he has a job--hallelujah! But it came through as a result of contacts he had made in his former job. None of the companies to which he applied in that year (we applied to roughly 130 companies and had 4 interviews total) hired him or came close to doing so.

What did he do prior? Ran an infectious disease lab for the USAF (contractor).

What does he do now? Analyzes data for the Army (contractor).

His degree? Ph.D. in Genetics and Molecular Biology, with a postdoc at MD Anderson Cancer Center working on brain and lung tumors.

He's 45 years old, and he couldn't get a job for over a year. Overqualified, under-qualified, paid too much, you name it. He dresses well, looks professional, but he is not and never will be the song-and-dance, group hug, Six-Sigma team player kind of guy. He'll work his butt off for anyone, though, and excels in pretty much anything he does as far as work goes. But that only gets you so far. If you're a quiet scientist type--or dare I say--not a pretty young woman in this particular field--you are not wanted.

It's a sad state of affairs here in the USA...

Now he's thinking of going back and getting his MBA. Not sure if he should at this point.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think the dating analogy is apt.

You are looking for a job (single):The employer is looking for an employee (single)
You don't want to commit to something if you think you can do better.
Once you accept a position, your other options become more limited until you quit (break up)
Nobody wants to do long distance.
During the application process you are full of self doubt and insecurity, wondering if the other person likes you.
If you know somebody they know, you try to get the inside scoop (ask your friend if he likes me).
The interview is like a first date, everybody dresses up and checks their breath.
You wonder if online dating is better than just walking up to somebody and asking.
Experience counts.
If you're good looking, you have a great chance.
Many times you never hear from them again after the first date ... even after they tell you they really like you.
Many dates are attained through a network of friends.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
At least to me.

I have been looking for a year now. I have a job, but it is toxic to say the least. I'd post about that in a separate thread. It is so bad that I want to leave, but due to this economy, can't quit until I find something else.

Today I had an interview and right now I'm just exhausted. I am tired of applying and applying, getting only a handful of interviews and then nothing. Not sealing the deal.

Every time I go for an interview, I try to prepare well ahead of the time, research the company, have questions, dress nice, smile and be peppy, but it's so hard to keep getting disappointed over and over and over again.

At today's interview, I felt barraged with questions. It was almost like being questioned by a police officer. I am just exhausted. I want something to give.

I have a Masters in Business and good work experience, but it doesn't seem to be enough in today's world.

Yes, thats exactly what it is. So perhaps you need to acknowledge that, it may be affecting your interview performance. You write that like its a problem, not the actual raison d'etre for the interview.

Don't beat up on prostitutes, they just sell their body - it's honest. On the other hand, half the employed out their are selling their souls - every workday.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's not really that hard, unless you are interviewing for a senior management position. There are only a small number of high level positions.

It comes down to practice. It's easier to whine than to practice regularly.
Another "blame-the-victim" post; keep your thoughts to yourself next time.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Quote:
At least to me.

I feel your pain. I've cried after many interviews, it is just such an awful experience. Nothing worse than needing to pay for parking to go on an interview as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Another "blame-the-victim" post; keep your thoughts to yourself next time.
How does your advice work? They don't practice and they are still not able to find a new job. My advice works. If she does 100 practice interviews, she will nail a new job.

If I keep my thoughts to myself and nobody tells her to practice, she will still be wondering where the jobs are. Your great advice means they got screwed by the employer and you.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM

50 posts, read 78,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I feel your pain. I've cried after many interviews, it is just such an awful experience. Nothing worse than needing to pay for parking to go on an interview as well.

I have paid a little fortune in parking fees just for interviewing. It hurts but I just tell myself it's an investment. A necessary evil.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM

50 posts, read 78,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How does your advice work? They don't practice and they are still not able to find a new job. My advice works. If she does 100 practice interviews, she will nail a new job.

If I keep my thoughts to myself and nobody tells her to practice, she will still be wondering where the jobs are. Your great advice means they got screwed by the employer and you.

Just so you know, I do practice a lot before interviews. I do behavioral interview questions, research the company, their products, their competitors so that I'm informed. I also ask them questions on the interview about the role.
Sometimes you can do everything well and it's still not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search