Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
forget fake references... what about bad references or bitter former employers who do everything in their power to destroy you chances of getting a job.

i think most people may lie by omission or exaggerate a little but very few just outright lie

I thought it was illegal for a previous employer to make comments about you --- good or bad? I thought they were only permitted to give your dates of employment and (possibly) your final salary. (is that only in NY or is that a federal thing?)

When they ask for references, I don't take that to mean only work-related references. I would use anyone who knows me and knows my character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I thought it was illegal for a previous employer to make comments about you --- good or bad? I thought they were only permitted to give your dates of employment and (possibly) your final salary. (is that only in NY or is that a federal thing?)

When they ask for references, I don't take that to mean only work-related references. I would use anyone who knows me and knows my character.
employers and HR know that people wont list a bad reference. i have seen many a HR and Hiring Managers call former/ current employers without my permission or find random acquaintances on linkedin and ask their opinion. its these unofficial job reference checks that everyone should be concerned about.

and to the first point an employer can generally say whatever it wants in most states as long as they believe it to be true. but there are some evil folks in this world who want to keep others down

i remember a few jobs ago i started in a group where another team member and the hiring manager talked about my predecessor day in and day out... she was the scumb of all earth according to them... then the hiring manager told me that my predecessor had been out of work for over a year... i thought to myself how would you know boss as im sure this lady doesnt keep in touch with you or the other team member... come to find out whenever potential employers would call HR to verify employment history they transfered them to my boss at the time who would tear this former employee to shreds....

if anyone is qualified and has been repeatedly rejected from job offers (gone through the whole process not just applied).... then he or she may want to check out what former employers are saying....

Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 PM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
Why do you ass u me I don't apply for jobs I don't qualify for ? How about you lower your ridiculous standards just a bit and take a chance on a person and who knows MAYBE they will turn out to be a productive employee. After all that was the way things were done since there was an economy.
So you meet the qualifications listed for the job, but want them to lower their stanards anyway? Or you personally feel you are qualified, but don't actually meet the listed qualifications and you feel that is unfair?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:24 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Why do you ass u me I don't apply for jobs I don't qualify for ? How about you lower your ridiculous standards just a bit and take a chance on a person and who knows MAYBE they will turn out to be a productive employee. After all that was the way things were done since there was an economy.
It's not ridiculous. For example, we have reports made up of over 200 lines of code. My standard programming test question is to fill in the last blank of a 3 line code sample. You have unlimited time and 3 chances. If a person can't handle 3 lines of code, they will not be able to handle 200+ lines of code.

The person should not put those lines on their resume. They will admit the lie. One guy said he hadn't done any programming in a long time.

I put the truth on my resume. When the hiring manager questions my experience on the resume, I am able to answer each point without hesitation. I don't have to stall for time or hesitate, because I misrepresent myself. You know what, it works. I accepted a new job for a higher level position, last month.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:

It is not a violation of federal law or New York law. As a matter of fact, NY has a specific law that protects employers from law suits as long as disparaging/negative marks are truthful.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I thought it was illegal for a previous employer to make comments about you --- good or bad? I thought they were only permitted to give your dates of employment and (possibly) your final salary.
People in HR know that, but does every supervisor know that?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:

I tried googling for the federal statute, but I couldn't find it. Do you remember when it was passed? It sounds like BS.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I tried googling for the federal statute, but I couldn't find it. Do you remember when it was passed? It sounds like BS.
That was sarcasm, right?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Managers - How hard would you look into a resume to see if it was all in order. I'm talking about fake references etc
If people use fake references I expect them to prep their faux references very well. Make certain that dates of employment, job title/duties and salary match.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
I thought it was illegal for a previous employer to make comments about you --- good or bad? I thought they were only permitted to give your dates of employment and (possibly) your final salary.
Why would it be illegal anywhere for anybody or any company to say good things about someone???

This has become a very common fallacy. It is not illegal to give a bad reference, so long as what is said is true. And therein lies the rub, since "bad" can be so subjective it's dangerous from a liability standpoint to give a bad reference, and doing so has absolutely no benefit to the company that gives one. As a result, most companies today have the very sensible policy that references, good or bad, cannot be given, and they will only verify dates of employment, position and sometimes salary.

Every employer I've worked at since at least the 1990s has had such a policy, and any manager foolish enough to violate it is risking his job.

There is no law that stipulates this. Companies do it to protect themselves from lawsuits, be they frivolous or warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search