Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,190,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I don't understand why people make a career out of being a paralegal. You do all the legwork of law, but get none of the prestige or money that follows from it. It's also a profession that has a very low ceiling. You could spend thirty years in the area and know more about the law than some associates, but you will damned sure never be compensated as such because you don't have the legal ability to offer billable services -- which is ultimately the only thing that firms care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Every paralegal I know bills their time. And lawyers are dime a dozen. So why go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt when you may not be able to get a job.
There's also not that much prestige for most lawyers, everyone knows law schools have pumped out way too many graduates, being a lawyer is just not a big deal anymore. A few at the top get the money and prestige, but the rest often don't do very well, some end up working as paralegals, or quitting law altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami87 View Post
Hello,

I am in my mid-20's. I have a B.S. in Administration of Justice and an ABA-approved paralegal certificate. I have 3.5 yrs of law office experience, including 2.5 yrs of civil lit. defense experience. I currently live/work in Richmond, VA for a very small civil lit. firm (3 attorneys). Started w/the firm @ $32k in 09/2011, and by 03/2013, was @ $35.5k. I have not received a raise since then (granted, it hasn't been a full year yet, but I believe I'm close to the "ceiling," being w/such a small firm). I get ZERO benefits here, except PTO (holidays, 10 sick, 10 vaca).

I've been job hunting for 15 months. I'm exhausted. Some firms discount my experience b/c the firm I'm currently with is so small. Other firms, based on the fact I still fall under the "recent grad" category (not sure why that is, given that this coming May will mark 4 yrs. out of undergrad), offer me very low $$$ ($29-30k).

Last week I received an offer from a firm in which I'd be doing med. mal. defense.

PROs
*50-attorney firm collectively (several offices along the east coast), but only 9 attorneys in the location I'd be working in (so, bit of a larger/more reputable firm to add to the resume)
*benefits
*the city it's located in has more growth opportunities for the future

CONs
*similar work (I was looking for increased responsibilities/more substantive legal tasks)
*although it's bigger than my current firm, it's not as big as to offer "paralegal II," "senior paralegal," etc in so far as job titles... I always envisioned my next firm a place I could grow with in the long haul. This clearly wouldn't be that place; I'd have to leave again in another couple yrs or so (but maybe it's better this way - a stepping stone from going to tiny firm, to mid-sized, then to big law?).

My number 1 concern though is that the firm is located in Fairfax. I'm familiar w/the area, as I lived there for undergrad. Although I plan on finding roommates, I know how expensive it is to live there. That being said, the firm's offer is $42K based on a 35 hour work week. Paralegals typically work 35-40 hrs/week, & HR told me that paralegals tend to earn an additional $2-3K per year w/that "overtime." I would also get benefits. I would also be up for a bonus and raise at my 1 year mark.

I suppose I'm just concerned that they're lowballing me.... I'm not trying to be too big for my britches, but I am aware of the cost of living difference btwn RVA and FX, and I'm worried this would be a lateral move (yes, technically I would net more, but not THAT much more, esp. for the cost of living). If it was a Richmond firm offering $42K, I'd jump on it.

Thoughts? Please be kind... I'm just looking for some information. Thank you.
Cost of living is rarely much of a factor in compensation. I used to do HR and payroll for a few companies in one of the most expensive areas in the country, it was clear that the employees were not paid to make up for this. Overall, expensive areas might pay a little more, maybe a few thousand, but in no way does it come close to making up for the differences people feel in their cost of living. It's just something people have to accept if they want to work/live in those areas.

As a paralegal 3.5 years is still the beginning of your career, you want to get past the five year mark. This job will likely be a stepping stone, but probably a good one if they are offering benefits/bonuses/raises. I'm not familiar with that exact area, but it sounds like a good offer. You should realize benefits add significantly to compensation.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,902,238 times
You're only in your mid 20's and may be making over 40 grand per year plus bonus! I wish I would have had my career together at that young age.

Go for it and good luck

Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM

20 posts, read 27,315 times
Thanks again, everyone!

I accepted today Nervous & excited for this transition!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:31 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,093,444 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am in my mid-20's. I have a B.S. in Administration of Justice and an ABA-approved paralegal certificate. I have 3.5 yrs of law office experience, including 2.5 yrs of civil lit. defense experience. I currently live/work in Richmond, VA for a very small civil lit. firm (3 attorneys). Started w/the firm @ $32k in 09/2011, and by 03/2013, was @ $35.5k. I have not received a raise since then (granted, it hasn't been a full year yet, but I believe I'm close to the "ceiling," being w/such a small firm). I get ZERO benefits here, except PTO (holidays, 10 sick, 10 vaca).

I've been job hunting for 15 months. I'm exhausted. Some firms discount my experience b/c the firm I'm currently with is so small. Other firms, based on the fact I still fall under the "recent grad" category (not sure why that is, given that this coming May will mark 4 yrs. out of undergrad), offer me very low $$$ ($29-30k).
I don't know where you live, but where I live first year attorneys make less than $30,000 a year.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM

514 posts, read 763,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
There's also not that much prestige for most lawyers, everyone knows law schools have pumped out way too many graduates, being a lawyer is just not a big deal anymore. A few at the top get the money and prestige, but the rest often don't do very well, some end up working as paralegals, or quitting law altogether.
I'm not recommending the OP to become a lawyer. In fact, I would just as well recommend the person to stay far away from the entire industry.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I'm not recommending the OP to become a lawyer. In fact, I would just as well recommend the person to stay far away from the entire industry.
Fair enough, but being a paralegal is a good middle class career in a country where finding one of those is becoming more and more difficult. Good experienced paralegals can move to supervisory position and earn six figures with great benefits, and no, or only small amounts of student loan debt.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,259,829 times
Quote:
Thanks again, everyone!

Congratulations on your new job!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, everyone!

Congrats! I hope it all works out well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search