Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

I love applying online. I've never had a problem with it.

You have to let the rejections slide off your back. It's not personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 PM

457 posts, read 978,402 times
I have no problem with a job rejection providing I've met with the company in person or was not qualified for the position. My problem is when a computer determines my personality, customer service skills and character. It's not personal. Just makes it harder for people who want to work at any job and salary get employment.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM

420 posts, read 768,252 times
For most professional fields you can't even apply "offline"...

Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM

I've always worked in the Gov sector which required to apply online. Those apps actually did get reviewed by a live HR person. It seems the private sector depends on a computer to determine if I get an interview. Again, I have no problem applying online. I don't think it's right for a computer to judge a candidates character or detailed qualifications. Just because I didn't use certain keywords does not mean I'm not qualified to do the job. That's what I've been reading from people who have degrees or years of experience in a specific field that were rejected.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Why are you choosing pizza chains over independent pizza shops, if you don't want an online application process?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Didn't think of an independent shop until I read this thread. That's the purpose of posting is to get ideas. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I have no problem with applying online as long as my qualifications are denied or accepted by a human and not keywords. A follow up to this thread is I got hired PT for Papa Johns. I walked into the shop last week and filled out a hard copy app. Well goes to show you. If it ain't broke don't fix it. This will do until FT is available. Good luck to all.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
As I mentioned in my previous posts, I have no problem with applying online as long as my qualifications are denied or accepted by a human and not keywords.
I guess you'll continue to have a problem. Have fun with that.

Seriously dude, it's not personal. It's a new wrinkle of technology.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I love applying online. I've never had a problem with it.

You have to let the rejections slide off your back. It's not personal.
Lol, yeah no kidding. I've probably applied to roughly 200 jobs or so over the last 3 years online. It's easy to just look past the rejection and move on. I'd say I had a 15-20% call back rating, which wasn't bad at all, but the jobs were pretty bad and I passed on so many of them after speaking with HR.

You have to treat applying for work as WORK. Before I left my last position for this current position I would get off work and go straight home and apply to 4-5 jobs per night, I called it my second job.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Seriously dude, it's not personal. It's a new wrinkle of technology.
You sound like an HR cubicle drone who's perfectly content with the process 'cause it makes your job easier since 70% of the potential applicants are already screened out by the time you get to them. Seriously gal, these are people's lives that are being screwed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I've probably applied to roughly 200 jobs or so over the last 3 years online. It's easy to just look past the rejection and move on.
If it was just a matter of uploading a resume and moving on to the next prospect, I would agree with you. But, that's not the case anymore. I don't know about you, but the type of jobs in my profession I apply for require a full profile be completed (for each different company you apply with), often times with skill assessments and personality exams attached, either in the initial application process, or at least, the very next step of the process, which usually comes automatically within an hour after you submit your information. Not everybody is looking to flip burgers or toss popcorn at the local movie theater.

When this type of effort is committed, an applicant expects to get a little something back at the end of the process. This is the main issue here. This is what people are very mad about. They want your life story with dates, names, numbers, references, yada, yada, yada, ect...... And in return, you get rewarded with a generic rejection letter less than 24 hours later, many times for a job in which you met EVERY one of the PREFERRED requirements.

So no, sometimes it gets really old, real fast!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19
"One time I applied for a job with Bank of America, and about 2 minutes after spending about 40 minutes on the application, I received a rejection email.
A job that may have attracted 1,000 or more applications. Many posters say they apply, if they have even 70% or 80% of the qualifications. There may be 50 applications that meet all the qualifications they want. The computer is set to reject the other 950 that do not meet ALL of the qualifications.

There is no way that the company has the staff or the stall have the time, for a human to inspect every application. And they are not going to consider anyone with 80% of the qualifications, when there are 50 that are perfect matches.

Some posters keep getting angry they are rejected, as they are sure they could be trained for the job, and do it after a few months or a couple of years training. They just do not realize, training and lost production is very expensive for a company. When there are people with training and experience that can step in and do the job immediately, the company is not going to hire someone that will take a period of time to train and bring up to speed, when there are people that can be doing the job without more than a day or two training available.

Quote:
And in return, you get rewarded with a generic rejection letter less than 24 hours later, many times for a job in which you met EVERY one of the PREFERRED requirements.
But you don't know what are the exact turn off entry's on your application. I mean things that turn off an employer. Example: A history of job hopping, with short times on your previous jobs. The employer is looking for stable long term employees. That will turn off an employer, and the computer is set to weed you out. You would be weeded out if a human went over every application one by one, or the computer does it automatically as long as they are getting applications with long term employment doing the job they are advertising, it has always been that way, and is that way today. You have a degree from a decent university, but is it the type of degree they are looking for.

My daughter is the IT head for a large in their field international U.S. corporation. I have discussed this with her, as she set up the hiring program for the corporation. She tells me, that the HR department tells her, that 75% to 90% of all applications are not worth the paper they are written on as to filling the requirements for the jobs, and are so happy with the application program. They do not have to spend a month going through thousands of worthless applications to find the ones to be interviewed. To make sure things are working right, they grab a group of rejects to spot check, and find that a human would have rejected them if it was still done by hand. They are completely happy with the computer sort.

They send out the rejection emails as soon as possible, so the applicant will not be sitting around waiting to see if they are going to get an interview and job. They will know almost immediately.

Remember, when you are rejected, others were given interviews as they met the requirements better than you did, had more experience in doing the job advertised for, had the exact degrees they were looking for, etc., etc. There is nothing wrong with you, except others fill the bill better than you do.

There is even a physiological program out now, that checks Facebook, and other chat line sites for what you post, to find your personality, and beliefs, and attitude to seen if you will fit into their company when you file an application. Her company does not use it, but some are starting to use it and swear by it. Especially banks and financial institutions as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search