Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 AM

457 posts, read 973,753 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted in other forums, but I couldn't find them. Yes, we live in an age of technology. I realize applying online is so much easier for job seekers. Saves time and gas. I realize applying online is easier for companies too. Saves 400 applicants from walking into an HR office for 2 openings. What I find unfair and frustrating is when a computer software filter decides if I get an interview. Don't get me started on those dumb assessment tests. I've worked as a humane officer for 20 yrs. I was a delivery driver for pizza hut for a year. Due to being recently unemployed, I decided to deliver pizzas again for pizza hut. I got denied from 3 different pizza huts online. Here's part of the email:

After careful consideration, at this time, we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely match the requirements of the position.

Are you freaking kidding. Yes it's been over 15 years ago, but delivering pizzas is not nuclear science. I put down that I was available any day and any shift. Can pass a drug test and fingerprint check. Clean driving record and insurance. Whats your thoughts on having your future being decided by a computer and how are job seekers getting min wage jobs as reported on the news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 947,051 times
My dad used to say: "Tell them what you think they want to hear".

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM

227 posts, read 743,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
I'm sure this has been posted in other forums, but I couldn't find them. Yes, we live in an age of technology. I realize applying online is so much easier for job seekers. Saves time and gas. I realize applying online is easier for companies too. Saves 400 applicants from walking into an HR office for 2 openings. What I find unfair and frustrating is when a computer software filter decides if I get an interview. Don't get me started on those dumb assessment tests. I've worked as a humane officer for 20 yrs. I was a delivery driver for pizza hut for a year. Due to being recently unemployed, I decided to deliver pizzas again for pizza hut. I got denied from 3 different pizza huts online. Here's part of the email:

After careful consideration, at this time, we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely match the requirements of the position.

Are you freaking kidding. Yes it's been over 15 years ago, but delivering pizzas is not nuclear science. I put down that I was available any day and any shift. Can pass a drug test and fingerprint check. Clean driving record and insurance. Whats your thoughts on having your future being decided by a computer and how are job seekers getting min wage jobs as reported on the news?
"After careful consideration, at this time, we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely match the requirements of the position."

Yes, applying online can be a pain in the A$$, I applied online to about 600 companies over the last three years, and I remember getting those rejection letters. One time I applied for a job with Bank of America, and about 2 minutes after spending about 40 minutes on the application, I received a rejection email.

Most systems will automatically spit out your information before it can reach HR, and most companies will continue to collect applications even though the position is in the process of being Filled. I started a new job in Dec, but was offered the job in November. The company told me I had the position,and I already started the background check, but the website will still collecting applications for the position. So about a week before my start date, I applied using fake information, and the applications went through telling me I'm still being considered. So about one week ago I finally received the rejection letter, for a position I already knew was filled since november.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,569,734 times
Quote:

I'm thinking they didn't want to hire someone that could potentially get up and leave when another job more closely related to your main field turns up.

During the time I lost my business and when I got employed as an engineer in my current company, I interviewed to work as a technician at one company. Went through 2 interviewers who asked me very technical questions to test me. I answered them with ease. They both said I was their top candidate so far. But then the big boss came out and said I was over qualified. My resume scared him, because as soon as somewhere else wants to hire me as an engineer I'm out of there. And he was right.

Just hang in there.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,063,220 times
The low wage jobs have more competition than the higher wage jobs. It's not uncommon to see stories of over 1,000 resumes in a day for Walmart.

In D.C., hundreds of Wal-Mart job seekers are desperate for work. Any work. - The Washington Post

Quote:
By the end of the day, there were hundreds and maybe even a thousand applicants for about 350 low-wage jobs that the small-scale, 75,000-square-foot urban Wal-Mart will bring to Northeast.
I submitted resumes to 9 companies and got call backs on 4 of them. Each company responded within 1-2 weeks. It was for positions paying $80-100k/yr.

If you want a minimum wage job, you need to target the companies with NO online application process. You see the dry cleaner with a "Help wanted" sign? The owner is not getting 1,000 resumes a day.

Go to the grocery stores, churches, and look for the advertising board with all the flyers. Call those guys up. Then, go on yelp and look up the numbers for every local pizza chain. You want to throw out every guy that has more than 2-3 locations.

You want target the little guys that don't have the money to buy ads on monster.com.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM

58 posts, read 84,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
"One time I applied for a job with Bank of America, and about 2 minutes after spending about 40 minutes on the application, I received a rejection email.
Jeez within 2 minutes??

Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,401,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The low wage jobs have more competition than the higher wage jobs. It's not uncommon to see stories of over 1,000 resumes in a day for Walmart.

In D.C., hundreds of Wal-Mart job seekers are desperate for work. Any work. - The Washington Post
Wait a minute, that's not what the right wing GOP conservatives say. According to them MCD's is always hiring, you just gotta show up and "fill out an application". It's not hard to get a job, people are just turning into welfare savages. (according to them). Some of them are even on this forum, self-proclaimed know it all's.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM

833 posts, read 1,192,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Wait a minute, that's not what the right wing GOP conservatives say. According to them MCD's is always hiring, you just gotta show up and "fill out an application". It's not hard to get a job, people are just turning into welfare savages. (according to them). Some of them are even on this forum, self-proclaimed know it all's.
Oh come on now. I hate when people have to throw politics into everything. I don't see a democrat helping me find work right now. Or helping me pay my bills.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM

457 posts, read 973,753 times
It's funny because I did walk into another pizza chain to see even if they needed delivery drivers. They told me yes, but I needed to fill out an app online. Now I'm back to square one. Some stores do not even have a hard copy app to give me. Good idea about visiting a one store pizza place instead of Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM

11,145 posts, read 10,909,271 times
Quote:
This is the standard wording used by today's software programs when issuing a generic rejection notice. A human never even saw your resume. My favorite is when you get this message in your inbox less than 2 hours after submitting your resume/profile (and the submission was at 10pm, way after business hours!). You could meet every one of the preferred attributes they're looking for and still get this. No reason. No explanation. No name attatched to it. Just a generic rejection letter after you spent 90 minutes jumping through their hoops relaying what seems like your entire life story to them. These days, just be happy you got anything back from them.

Quote:
It's funny because I did walk into another pizza chain to see even if they needed delivery drivers. They told me yes, but I needed to fill out an app online. Now I'm back to square one. Some stores do not even have a hard copy app to give me. Good idea about visiting a one store pizza place instead of Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's.
Anything corporate will be strictly online. The store manager in your hometown could think the world of you, but that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if you used the right wording to please the software program at the corporate office 2200 miles away where your resume/personal profile/assessment scores are being scanned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search